Konnichiwa Japan (is welcoming home the Diamond Princess)

cr8tiv1

The Diamond is very much welcomed by the locals.  They are so friendly and helpful (part of their cultural make up) and is infusing a lot to their economy.  You can approach most anyone on the street and, not only are they helpful, but will walk with you a ways to make sure you are going in the right direction.  

My advice is to download a translation app.  It will assist the both of you.  

• Like 4

On 2/12/2023 at 8:15 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Just received an updated invoice (Feb 12, 2023) for Japan cruise.  Notice:  No mention of K-ETA requirement.

IMPORTANT NOTICES
UPDATED COVID-19 PROTOCOLS FOR YOUR VOYAGE
Please be advised that all guests 18 years of age or older must have completed a primary vaccination series for COVID-19 AND also received at least one booster before embarkation (total of 3 vaccination doses). Vaccination certificates must be written or translated into English or Japanese to be valid. Guests ages 12 to 17 must have received two vaccination doses. Children under 12 are not required to be vaccinated.

In addition, guests ages 5 and older must produce at check-in a negative self-administered COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test result photo with a time and date stamp taken within one day before embark or a negative PCR test result taken within two days before embark. Please note that testing and self-tests will not be available at the pier. Face masks will be required indoors on board for guests 5 years and older. Influenza vaccinations before travel are strongly recommended. All guests must also register and complete Visit Japan Web at https://vjw-lp.digital.go.jp/en in advance of entry to Japan.

Hi all,

I'm new to cruising and as I'm preparing my departure to Japan, I still have a question about the "RAT self test". I'm also due to board the Diamond Princess in a week's time (April 2nd) and am wondering what self-tests are approved. A long time ago, there used to be a list of acceptable tests according to Princess Cruises, but I can't find anything for this one...

I have some self-tests, but in Europe there is nothing like telehealth available with them. Will these test still be accepted? How did it go for the ones who are already on this week's departure?

Cheers

8 minutes ago, HeliceNco said:

Hi all,

I'm new to cruising and as I'm preparing my departure to Japan, I still have a question about the "RAT self test". I'm also due to board the Diamond Princess in a week's time (April 2nd) and am wondering what self-tests are approved. A long time ago, there used to be a list of acceptable tests according to Princess Cruises, but I can't find anything for this one...

I have some self-tests, but in Europe there is nothing like telehealth available with them. Will these test still be accepted? How did it go for the ones who are already on this week's departure?

Cheers

You will not need a proctored test.  Any over the free/counter test will be accepted. It’s the rest that is bothersome.

Take a blank paper

place the negative result test on the paper

write your full name

write the date (day before)

place a government issued ID or passport….and…

a phone with the time and date.

THEN take a photo with another phone. 

I (OCD) printed out a form with a place to write in the time.  

Don’t forget to upload this photo to the app.  

I also created a sub-album on my phone that included every document, visa, screen shots, etc for easy access.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You will not need a proctored test.  Any over the free/counter test will be accepted. It’s the rest that is bothersome.

Take a blank paper

place the negative result test on the paper

write your full name

write the date (day before)

place a government issued ID or passport….and…

a phone with the time and date.

THEN take a photo with another phone. 

I (OCD) printed out a form with a place to write in the time.  

t

Thanks a lot! I'll prepare the "paper" in advance as well since we're a party of 4!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 3:09 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Let's start with the simple. 

You DO NOT NEED any pre-documents to enter Japan.  You will speed up your immigration and customs time if you fill out an e-document.

https://www.vjw.digital.go.jp/main/#/vjwplo001

There are two parts to this.  One for Immigration and the other for Customs Declaration.  Be sure to complete both (do not hit the return to home button).  Use the one on the bottom right to continue.  

You will see a QR code for both.  Take a screenshot.  Save as a PDF to print.  These are the sections that need to be completed.

351109694_Screenshot2023-02-09at6_11_22PM.thumb.png.9d98cda588014c4a8f429c774266171f.png

Does it still speed up entry to Japan for Immigration and Customs to fill in online (now that the quarantine part is no longer needed)?

8 hours ago, HeliceNco said:

Does it still speed up entry to Japan for Immigration and Customs to fill in online (now that the quarantine part is no longer needed)?

There is absolutely NO speed advantage to complete the digital website.  There was still, at least, an hour’s line.  The only reason to do it online is to make sure everything is completed, otherwise, you have to paper and pencil out the information.

There are three things to complete:

Quarantine QR code (to verify vaccinations)

Immigration

Customs

4 minutes ago, HeliceNco said:

Thanks for clarifying that...

How is the masking situation for the shore excursions organised by diamond Princess? Is it compulsory like on the ship?

I can’t answer that since it doesn’t matter to me…I am always masked.

The majority of Japanese locals still wear masks pre/post pandemic.  Japan has lifted mask restrictions, but many are still wearing them. It’s another cultural thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2023 at 2:38 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

There is absolutely NO speed advantage to complete the digital website.  There was still, at least, an hour’s line.  The only reason to do it online is to make sure everything is completed, otherwise, you have to paper and pencil out the information.

There are three things to complete:

Quarantine QR code (to verify vaccinations)

Immigration

Customs

I would complete everything on the website because you will need to have a QR code for re-entry into Japan after Jeju which will be a separate entry on the website..  You will be flagged by Princess when on the ship if you do not have it done (in laws had this problem) and you will need to get it done on the ship.

On 3/27/2023 at 12:43 AM, HeliceNco said:

Thanks for clarifying that...

How is the masking situation for the shore excursions organised by diamond Princess? Is it compulsory like on the ship?

While signs are posted for masks on the ship, quite a few non-Japanese (at least 30%) were not masked.  All employees were masked.  They stand the most to lose if they test positive.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies 4bande 😀

Indeed in the latest notification from Princess it's clearly stated ... All done and set, looking forward to being on board on Sunday !  notification from Princess

5 hours ago, 4bande said:

I would complete everything on the website because you will need to have a QR code for re-entry into Japan after Jeju which will be a separate entry on the website..  You will be flagged by Princess when on the ship if you do not have it done (in laws had this problem) and you will need to get it done on the ship.

IMG_20230329_084925.jpg

6 hours ago, 4bande said:

5 hours ago, 4bande said:

We were welcomed at all ports with music and festivities.

I “should have” been on your cruise….(but the cherry blossoms are in full bloom this week).  

No one asked for Japan QR codes after Jeju.  In fact….Customer Service said K-ETA wasn't required (but that I didn’t trust) but that wasn’t asked for either.

I filled out everything required.  Not taking any chances. 

No welcoming groups at any of the ports.  Very helpful information booths and people.  

9FCC71A7-DAB0-4A33-A079-E38D59791FBB.png

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I “should have” been on your cruise….(but the cherry blossoms are in full bloom this week).  

No one asked for Japan QR codes after Jeju.  In fact….Customer Service said K-ETA wasn't required (but that I didn’t trust) but that wasn’t asked for either.

I filled out everything required.  Not taking any chances. 

No welcoming groups at any of the ports.  Very helpful information booths and people.  

9FCC71A7-DAB0-4A33-A079-E38D59791FBB.png

Interesting to hear that about the K-ETA and Japan QRcodes ... there was no clear info on Princess , and on the chat with K-ETA they didn't say we -cruisers- were exempted ...

Glad you're having the best of the cherry blossom 😉, I hope to see some good ones tomorrow in Tokyo before the cruise

• 3 months later...

@cr8tiv1

I started planning for our upcoming Sept. Japan cruises on Diamond.  It will be 7 days Kyushu & Korea and 9 days Circle Hokkaido (Nagasaki, Jeju, Kagoshima, Omaezaki, Busan, Aomori, Otaru, and Hakodate).  We like local eating, shopping, and not so strenuous sightseeing.  We prefer DIY over Princess excursions with a large group of people.  From your 3/24/23 Diamond Roll Call, I noticed you visited 3 of the ports that we will be visiting on our Kyushu cruise. If you can answer some questions and maybe give some suggestions on any of the above mentioned ports will be much appreciated.

For the Nagasaki port, our plan is to take the tram/or walk to Hamamachi Shopping Arcade and Chinatown.  If you took the tram, do you remember how far was the walk from the cruise terminal to the tram stop #48 for Green Line 5?  Did you visit Hamamachi Shopping Arcade and Chinatown?  If so, were there enough to see/do for a few hours?  

For the Jeju port, it seems like the main attractions are Cheonjeyeon Falls, Yakcheonsa Temple, or beaches, all of no interest to us.  We are thinking either to just stay on the ship or get off the ship and just stay in Seogwipo and check out nearby restaurants/shops.  From your 3/24 roll call, you said "My Korean Chiropractor told me to skip Jeju sights and eat my way through the city".  So, did you end up doing that?  If so, did you rent a taxi or there were many restaurants by the port?

For Kagoshima, I remember reading on CC (months ago) that Princess offers RT shuttle for $28 from port to town.  Do you remember if that option was available on your cruise?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!  

Shuttle Buses:

Nagasaki - Docks near city.  Very helpful people in the terminal who will sell you a tram pass and give you directions.  Caught the tram, NOT the first bus stop, but several blocks down the way.  All day pass was just easier (paying for convenience).  Took tram to Peace Park and Atomic Museum.  We had to transfer lines once (I think).  Chinatown was near the port/on the tram line.  I don't do Chinatowns (I don't like Chinese food and am Asian....!). Did not visit the arcade (shopping malls).  The Peace Park was so so, but the escalator was amazing.  Had lunch at the museum and it took less than an hour to walk through the exhibits.  

Jeju - took the shuttle for $20 each round trip.  I understand it was cheaper for a party of two to take a taxi to the same drop off point.  Again, convenience.  We walked around the big people's market for several hours.  Ate tangerines.  Again, coming from Hawaii, I didn't need to see beaches, coastlines, water falls.  You can do some research about buses...I didn't want to risk missing the ship by taking a bus out of town.  Long, long line to go through immigrations to get back on the ship.  

There is suppose to be a nice tea garden a little out of town (taxi).  No, I did not partake in the $100 fish lunch.

IMG_2457.thumb.jpeg.fb90f4ff636bd14da6861f468dfeb2cd.jpeg

Kogashima - shuttle was $28.  Our first stop.  I didn't know any better.  Shuttle was waiting for us and someone with a clip board took my name and cabin number.  Convenient, but not necessarily the most inexpensive way to get from the ship to town.  

Have you checked into https://www.gonomad.com/3162-japans-goodwill-guides-personal-tours-language-help

I found them too late.  They could not connect with any locals.  It does help to have someone who can speak the language.  My cousin's son took us around Yokohama. 

I still have more to come.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Shuttle Buses:

Nagasaki - Docks near city.  Very helpful people in the terminal who will sell you a tram pass and give you directions.  Caught the tram, NOT the first bus stop, but several blocks down the way.  All day pass was just easier (paying for convenience).  Took tram to Peace Park and Atomic Museum.  We had to transfer lines once (I think).  Chinatown was near the port/on the tram line.  I don't do Chinatowns (I don't like Chinese food and am Asian....!). Did not visit the arcade (shopping malls).  The Peace Park was so so, but the escalator was amazing.  Had lunch at the museum and it took less than an hour to walk through the exhibits.  

Jeju - took the shuttle for $20 each round trip.  I understand it was cheaper for a party of two to take a taxi to the same drop off point.  Again, convenience.  We walked around the big people's market for several hours.  Ate tangerines.  Again, coming from Hawaii, I didn't need to see beaches, coastlines, water falls.  You can do some research about buses...I didn't want to risk missing the ship by taking a bus out of town.  Long, long line to go through immigrations to get back on the ship.  

There is suppose to be a nice tea garden a little out of town (taxi).  No, I did not partake in the $100 fish lunch.

IMG_2457.thumb.jpeg.fb90f4ff636bd14da6861f468dfeb2cd.jpeg

Kogashima - shuttle was $28.  Our first stop.  I didn't know any better.  Shuttle was waiting for us and someone with a clip board took my name and cabin number.  Convenient, but not necessarily the most inexpensive way to get from the ship to town.  

Have you checked into https://www.gonomad.com/3162-japans-goodwill-guides-personal-tours-language-help

I found them too late.  They could not connect with any locals.  It does help to have someone who can speak the language.  My cousin's son took us around Yokohama. 

I still have more to come.

Thank you so much for your detailed information, very much appreciated!!  There is no rush; more information at your convenient is fine.

For Nagasaki, I do plan to buy an All Day pass.  If available, I always buy All Day pass for transportation that I need to use, even though I know most like I will only use it one time for round trip.  Don't want to bother having to buy single tickets each time.  I totally agree with you, paying for convenience is also my belief.

If there is a chance for a long, long line to go through immigration to get back to the ship, then I think we will just stay on the ship to relax.  From my researches, there really not much of high interest at the Jeju port.  We will just wait until we get to Busan for our Korean shopping and eating.

Thank you for confirming the Kagoshima shuttle.  Tomorrow I will start my planning of the Kagoshima port, then will decide if we should take the shuttle or get a guide.

My sister isn't a sight see-er.  She's been to Japan a few times.  We went to eat and see the Cherry Blossoms.  If a store got in our path, we stopped.  Actually not so true, we went out of our way looking for Dollar Store type places.  The Yen Exchange is so good (and going to get better in the coming months).  

I wouldn't go this far to stay on the ship.  If the line is long, you can request a wheel chair.  I was surprised by how many times we had to do immigrations getting on and off the ship.  My sister "made" me walk about 5 miles at each port.  I am not a walker.  

Take a dry wash cloth (no paper towels).  Take a another one you can wet to cool you down.  Take water.  I hope you like sushi and sashimi (every stop).  We stopped at one market and someone suggested sweet potato tempura and ice cream.  Didn't do it, although it was after we had already eaten more than our share of sweet potato.

I didn't take any Princess excursions.  It didn't seem right to stop at an Osen and not be able to experience any of them.  We did visit two castles but never went inside.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My sister isn't a sight see-er.  She's been to Japan a few times.  We went to eat and see the Cherry Blossoms.  If a store got in our path, we stopped.  Actually not so true, we went out of our way looking for Dollar Store type places.  The Yen Exchange is so good (and going to get better in the coming months).  

I wouldn't go this far to stay on the ship.  If the line is long, you can request a wheel chair.  I was surprised by how many times we had to do immigrations getting on and off the ship.  My sister "made" me walk about 5 miles at each port.  I am not a walker.  

Take a dry wash cloth (no paper towels).  Take a another one you can wet to cool you down.  Take water.  I hope you like sushi and sashimi (every stop).  We stopped at one market and someone suggested sweet potato tempura and ice cream.  Didn't do it, although it was after we had already eaten more than our share of sweet potato.

I didn't take any Princess excursions.  It didn't seem right to stop at an Osen and not be able to experience any of them.  We did visit two castles but never went inside.  

My first visit to Japan was back in 1982; Japan is one of my favorite countries. Since 1982, I visited Japan every 3-4 years. Except the cruise in 2018 (Golden Princess from Yokohama to Alaska), all other previous visits were either land tours or DIY.   But all prior trips, I kept going back to the same places (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, etc.).  Decided it is time to visit new places in Japan, so decided on the upcoming 2 cruises visiting Kyushu region and the Hokkaido region.

We love sea days, and don't mind to stay on the ship if we feel there is not much to see or it is a hassle go onshore/return to ship.  In April, we did the 27 days Sydney to L.A. on the Majestic Princess.  Due to weather, we skipped some ports.  We ended up spending 22 days at sea.  Just loved it.  

• Like 2