Konnichiwa Japan (is welcoming home the Diamond Princess)

cr8tiv1

I just helped my sister complete her K-ETA application.  90 minutes via phone call (off and on).  She wanted to complete it on her computer/website.  I told her to download app....no, she can do it...

I ended up filling everything out from my side of the world via computer.  Until I got to photo upload.  Back to sister.  Send me the photo you took.  Too big to be accepted.  

Back to, please download the app.

At least all of the information I entered was still on the application.  She downloaded the app.  Somehow got her way back to her information (I know how, but can't give instructions).  She took a photo...with the app.  It took her several tries.  Checked information.  Paid...submitted.  Email that application was completed.  Email that her application was accepted.  

WHEW...

Please download the app.  Have your passport available.  Format has changed (almost as often as the Medallion Class app changes).  

Fill in Maljil ro in box next to zip code.  Hit search magnifying glass.  Then search for zip code and 290 Maljil ro (page 15) for Jeju.  It should pull up 62563

On 2/10/2023 at 1:00 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I am flying into Narita Airport.  There are multiple ways to get to Yokohama.  I am flying in a few days early so am unable to use a Princess Direct Airport Transfer.

I'm too old to deal with trains and luggage.  Private cars are too expensive.

So I opted for the Airport Limousine Bus.

https://webservice.limousinebus.co.jp/web/en/

Narita to the 23 wards of Tokyo (Kanagawa Prefecture).  It will drop me off at the bus terminal (YCAT) where I will get a taxi to my hotel.  I have been in communications with my hotel and they have been very responsive.  I asked them to send me something that I could print out, in Japanese, that said to take me to THEIR hotel.  

Word of the Day...."Chotto".  I learned that 50 years ago when I got into a  taxi and the hotel forgot to tell him where to take me.

Chotto matte kudasai. / Please wait a moment.

PS.. If you are flying into Haneda, I understand that their buses "may" drop you off at certain hotels.

I've used the Airport Limousine Bus several times and it's fabulous. Always on schedule and very clean and the driver is always very helpful in making sure you get to the right stop. 😊

Edited to add that taxi drivers in Japan are also wonderful and very polite. Having your destination printed is an excellent idea as most of them will not speak English. Also, there is no need to tip either the bus driver or the taxi driver.

Edited by Kellyansapansa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/12/2023 at 12:59 AM, TorontoTL said:

You’ll have an incredible time, when we were in Japan in the fall of 2019 on the Diamond, it was our best cruise ever.

Our first ever cruise was on the Diamond from Yokohama in 2014. We fell in love with both Japan and the Diamond Princess. ❤️

• Like 2

@Bobbiegentry just posted this on their way to Yokohama.  The only reason I am reposting this is because some passengers may not be aware that this is you are able to pre-process through Narita or Haneda easier.  The airport website says you don't need it.  You can go through the normal channels.  I am sure there will be a lot of non-cruise critic passengers who will not know about this immigration (above) site nor the need for a Jeju e-Visa (K-ETA).

I like to have all my ducks in a row. Got my YEN. Got my Won.  Got my Covid Test kits.

59249A11-3982-421B-A81B-A517FF69A95A.jpeg.104d977757f74a9e6b97e01a1ccc84ad.thumb.jpeg.1781f7eed964ffdd7e116947df45be2c.jpeg

• Like 1

I received an Important Notice Email today (for March voyage).  It detailed the require RAT test 24 hours prior to embarkation.

EMBARKATION/VACCINATION/TESTING

• Please wear a mask upon arrival at the Yokohama Cruise terminal and throughout the check-in and embarkation process. 
  • All guests 18 years of age or older must have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and must also have received at least one booster prior to embarkation (a total of three vaccination doses, or two doses for guests who are vaccinated with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine).   
  • Vaccination certificates must be written in or translated into English or Japanese to be valid. As a reminder, you'll need to upload these to the Princess MedallionClass app as part of the OceanReady process. 
  • Guests under 18 years of age are not required to be fully vaccinated if they are traveling with their fully vaccinated parents or guardians. 
  • At check-in, Guests ages 5 and above must produce a photo with a time and date stamp of a negative self-administered COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) taken within 24 hours before cruise embarkation.  All testing and vaccination information must be uploaded to the MedallionClass app prior to sailing when getting OceanReady.  
  • Please note that testing and self-tests will not be available at the pier. 

ON BOARD

• Face masks will be required indoors on board for guests 5 years and older.

On 2/23/2023 at 2:29 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

@Bobbiegentry just posted this on their way to Yokohama.  The only reason I am reposting this is because some passengers may not be aware that this is you are able to pre-process through Narita or Haneda easier.  The airport website says you don't need it.  You can go through the normal channels.  I am sure there will be a lot of non-cruise critic passengers who will not know about this immigration (above) site nor the need for a Jeju e-Visa (K-ETA).

I like to have all my ducks in a row. Got my YEN. Got my Won.  Got my Covid Test kits.

59249A11-3982-421B-A81B-A517FF69A95A.jpeg.104d977757f74a9e6b97e01a1ccc84ad.thumb.jpeg.1781f7eed964ffdd7e116947df45be2c.jpeg

Thanks for all the info.  Our party of 10 is ready to go for the 15th, especially getting the K-ETA for Jeju (I had mine already from a trip this past September).  It is too bad the cruise is docking on the south side of Jeju.  Docking on the north side makes it much easier to get around (especially if you want to rent a vehcile).  

@4bandeGlad it could help.  Actually, our south port will have an outdoor market and 2 bus lines.  One goes around half the island and the other goes around the other half.  Cash only.  

Must try:  tangerines, purple mango, pork belly, and of course...Kim Chee.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On one of the roll calls, someone posted about Goodwill Guides.  I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due.  I was so excited to read/find this website that I couldn't sleep.  I had to put a rush on it since one of the requirements is that you book something 21 days BEFORE your cruise leaves.  I begged and pleaded since I am actually inside that time period.  So far, I have had one response that they will try to find me a guide for Nagasaki.  

https://www.japan.travel/en/plan/list-of-volunteer-guides/

I was just going to wander around the ports so if I can't secure a guide, I will be okay.  But it would be so helpful. They even have one for arrival/departures at the airport.

Highlights:

No tipping

You pay for all transportations and entry fees.

You pay for meals.

You offer "omiyage" from your hometown. https://gogonihon.com/en/blog/omiyage-culture-in-japan/

Most of the time, these volunteers want to practice their English. They are not "professional tour guides." 

• Like 1

If you need to change information on either your Japan entry form or K-ETA, it is really quite easy.  Sign back in to your account and find the place to edit.  

I changed hotels in Yokohama (long story...always double book).  It was very easy to do but I did print out a "new" QR code; in case it changed.  

It looks like they are beginning to open ARRIVAL times on the app at about 39 days from your cruise.  It would really be nice if:

1.  Elites were given early access.

2.  Princess would send everyone a notice that the app was ready.  

• Like 1

Before the Covid pandemic, Princess did provide shuttles between Yamashita Park(near Osanbashi) and Diakoku Cruise Terminal on embarkation and disembarkation days. Any idea if these arrangements are still available?

I have been trying to get the K-eta in the last few days and always got hung after clicking on the Making Payment at the end, I got timed out. The K-eta Ask Us team said it is my own environment problems, I tried on different laptops, my smartphone, web app and download app, still have the same problem. Can someone kindly confirms that we definitely need to get the K-eta ahead of time to board the ship and there is no service on the ship to get the K-eta or it is waived? I saw another blog that someone said Silversea had sent them an e-mail said the K-eta was waived for those passengers from Visa exempt countries. Please advise, truly appreciated.

Nobody has done this port yet.  I was told I needed to get it 2 weeks before boarding the ship.  Not sure what the "latest" requirement is.  You will need wi-fi service if you try to do this from the ship.  As far as I know, Princess does not offer free wi-fi for passengers to get documents.  Some posters have said there is a one day price.

No one knows if you will be denied boarding or disembarkation.

Everyone visiting needs to have K-ETA.

Thank you @ringers0815

1. We are in Japan now and travel with our medication (prescription and over the counter) with no problem. I think if you have any “controlled” substances you need to declare them.

2. we use our own cell phones and have no problem with data.

3. Chinatown is very close to Yamashita park and pier (a 5 or 10 min walk depending on where you are in Chinatown) where there will be a shuttle picking up passengers to bring them to daikoku pier. Or if you take a taxi from Chinatown it should not take more than 15 minutes to the pier (depending on traffic).

4. the south Korean embassy in Canada told me we needed to apply for an ETA to visit Jeju island. So we applied using the K-ETA app. With the app it’s easy to do. I find it surprising that Princess has not sent out info on this so maybe they plan on doing something when passengers are on board.  During our cruise from San Diego to Tokyo, Princess required all passengers to use the Visit Japan web site to obtain our “quarantine” blue screen.  Maybe they will do something similar when people are on board ie ask people to apply for the ETA.

Hope these answers help you.

You might also find this link helpful. 

Medications:  https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/dl/qa2.pdf

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you @ringers0815

3. Chinatown is very close to Yamashita park and pier (a 5 or 10 min walk depending on where you are in Chinatown) where there will be a shuttle picking up passengers to bring them to daikoku pier. Or if you take a taxi from Chinatown it should not take more than 15 minutes to the pier (depending on traffic).

In Sept., we will be embarking at Daikoku pier for the Diamond Princess.  We will be staying at the Daiwa Roynet Hotel near Chinatown.  The shuttle you mentioned is a free shuttle offered by Princess?  The shuttle pick up point is  in Chinatown or in Yamashita Park? 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

In Sept., we will be embarking at Daikoku pier for the Diamond Princess.  We will be staying at the Daiwa Roynet Hotel near Chinatown.  The shuttle you mentioned is a free shuttle offered by Princess?  The shuttle pick up point is  in Chinatown or in Yamashita Park? 

Thank you.

I extracted the post from another cruiser.  It "seems" as though the shuttle is free (Princess) and will pick up at Yamashita Park.

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I extracted the post from another cruiser.  It "seems" as though the shuttle is free (Princess) and will pick up at Yamashita Park.

Thank you.  Do you still remember the "topic" of that post?  If so, I can find it on CC and can ask the person of the post for more details.   Thank you.

On 3/12/2023 at 2:16 PM, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you.

Limited information regarding the complimentary shuttle was recently added to the “Important Notices” on the Itinerary webpage for my upcoming April 2nd cruise. See below.

IMPORTANT PIER INFORMATION

Please be advised that the Diamond Princess will berth at Daikoku Pier. Daikoku Pier is located at the Port of Yokohama at 13 Daikoku-futo, Tsurumi Ward, Yokohama, about 90 minutes from Narita Airport and 30 minutes from Haneda Airport.
Private vehicles and taxis are permitted to enter the pier. Additionally, complimentary shuttle buses will be provided from Yamashita Pier to Daikoku Pier.
Guests with a Princess Cruise Plus hotel package or Airport transfer will be taken directly from their hotel or the airport to the pier. Guests with independent transfer arrangements should be guided accordingly.
We look forward to welcoming you aboard Diamond Princess.

@mandapanda13Thank you for contributing to this thread.  Diamond Princess will begin her first cruise out of Japan on March 15 (that's tomorrow for those already there).  

Hopefully, many will contribute their experiences here.  So excited for everyone going out of Japan.

The Diamond Princess is requiring everyone to wear a mask while in public spaces.  Here is an article from a Hawaii newspaper that I thought might reflect the customs and mindset of Japanese people.  They have been wearing masks way before the pandemic.  

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/03/13/breaking-news/masks-stay-put-in-japan-as-3-year-request-to-wear-them-ends/

Not opening this up to a debate about masks.  Please do not go off on a tangent.  This is meant to be non-opinionated and for information only.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mandapanda13 said:

Limited information regarding the complimentary shuttle was recently added to the “Important Notices” on the Itinerary webpage for my upcoming April 2nd cruise. See below.

IMPORTANT PIER INFORMATION

Please be advised that the Diamond Princess will berth at Daikoku Pier. Daikoku Pier is located at the Port of Yokohama at 13 Daikoku-futo, Tsurumi Ward, Yokohama, about 90 minutes from Narita Airport and 30 minutes from Haneda Airport.
Private vehicles and taxis are permitted to enter the pier. Additionally, complimentary shuttle buses will be provided from Yamashita Pier to Daikoku Pier.
Guests with a Princess Cruise Plus hotel package or Airport transfer will be taken directly from their hotel or the airport to the pier. Guests with independent transfer arrangements should be guided accordingly.
We look forward to welcoming you aboard Diamond Princess.

Thank you for the information.  Is Yamashita Pier same as Osanbashi pier, the pier Princess uses for their other ships?  

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for the information.  Is Yamashita Pier same as Osanbashi pier, the pier Princess uses for their other ships?  

Where are you staying?  I don't have an answer for you.  

Osanbashi Pier and Daikoku Terminal are not the same and about 2 miles apart.

https://osanbashi.jp/

The shuttle is picking up passengers at Yamashita Park.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Where are you staying?  I don't have an answer for you.  

Osanbashi Pier and Daikoku Terminal are not the same and about 2 miles apart.

https://osanbashi.jp/

The shuttle is picking up passengers at Yamashita Park.

We will be staying at the Daiwa Roynet Hotel - Koen again.  We stayed at that hotel several years ago when we did the Transpacific cruise from Yokohama to Alaska.  From the hotel, we walked about 10 minutes to the Osanbashi pier to board our cruise.   So was just wondering if it will also be an easy walk from the hotel to Yamashita pier to catch the Princess shuttle?   Thank you.

https://www.daiwaroynet.jp/en/yokohama-koen/