Just got off the NCL Getaway 12 nights! Observations

cementhands

My wife and I are cruisers with over 45 spread out to Platinum on NCL, Elite on Celebrity, Diamond on RCL, a number of carnival and quite a few Princess, one HAL toooooo young for that, one Premier our first cruise. So the Getaway has many great things. Excellent band called Zenhitt with amazing Marsha singing. Played really great Reggae by the pool and had us dancing daily, great Motown and dancing in atrium and Bliss lounge too. Excellent ABBA tribute in another room. Dance floor was always packed. You’ll enjoy them if onboard soon. Mojitos bar has an excellent duo with dancing in the hallway this duo also played in atrium with dancing floor packed too.
Spice H20 had many dancing parties that went late into the night with Alvin the CD and very good activities staff.  Pool area was nice and bar staff was great. Devin was an excellent waiter for getting a drink quickly! Back of ship Spice H20 during the day was nice but as you can smoke there quite a bit of that. I didn’t notice any smoke stack issues while there many times in the evening and a few in the day. Ropes course is excellent wishing we did it twice. If you’re able give it a try. Wife did zip line twice and walked out on the plank while I hugged a pole! 
Burn the floor was amazing and saw em twice in theater. Saw em once performing in Tropicana restaurant which had the worst service but great dancing. We enjoyed burn the floor dancing instructions in atrium.amazing athletic dancers.

No assortment of Tea onboard, Lipton or one other English tea, no green tea so bring your own. Outta of bananas day 4! I kept asking and was informed it’s a ligigistics thing, in the Caribbean where bananas are grown, but you can’t get em?
Outta of New York City so it’s a bit different vibe! Have your elbows sharp! Example in the packed stretch class instructor locks door class full starts at 7 am someone bangs on door at after 7:15 he says class full come back at 7:30 for abs but instead a native New Yorker gets up at let’s in 4 friends. A guy walks in and sits on a ladies mat. And she’s lovely and from New York too, but nice. Same group moved our stuff and sat down while we’re dancing I got em out of our chairs immediately. Another time that same guy falls asleep in my chair in atrium while I’m dancing we had wife’s purse and coat on our chairs with drinks I shook him awake and kicked him out again. 
But that’s all fun for us from New England! Many wonderful people we enjoyed meeting from UK, Pennsylvania Europe and Canada and many nice folks from Jersey and New York too.

Ice cream in buffet was great hard and cold with wide variety. Walking out of Moderno as it was terrible, Cagney was great others specialty dinners adequate but no wow! 
We enjoyed over 20,000 steps onboard so if you need to dance we highly recommend the Getaway with the live music and dancing opportunities you’ll enjoy.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 6:17 AM, cementhands said:

Another time that same guy falls asleep in my chair in atrium while I’m dancing we had wife’s purse and coat on our chairs with drinks I shook him awake and kicked him out again. 

So....uhhhh....were you and your wife being chair hogs? 

• Haha 5

On 2/11/2023 at 4:17 AM, cementhands said:

Outta of New York City so it’s a bit different vibe! Have your elbows sharp! Example in the packed stretch class instructor locks door class full starts at 7 am someone bangs on door at after 7:15 he says class full come back at 7:30 for abs but instead a native New Yorker gets up at let’s in 4 friends. A guy walks in and sits on a ladies mat. And she’s lovely and from New York too, but nice. Same group moved our stuff and sat down while we’re dancing I got em out of our chairs immediately. Another time that same guy falls asleep in my chair in atrium while I’m dancing we had wife’s purse and coat on our chairs with drinks I shook him awake and kicked him out again. 

Excellent review!  Glad to hear you had a great cruise!  

We know what you mean about embarking out of New York. We have learned to expect a little more assertive/aggressive personality types when choosing cruises out of there and don’t hear “excuse me” or “I’m sorry” quite as often as other ports in the US. At the same time, we have witnessed some funny responses from NYers such as the guy who had no shirt on who insisted his camelback was a shirt when he tried to get seated at Le Bistro. He was probably a little drunk, too. 

We have also had people try to take our seats when we are dancing especially in the atrium but on all ships.  Thank you again for sharing so many helpful details.  In this time when some are reporting about cutbacks it’s great to hear others are making the best of their experience. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. DH and I will be cruising on the Getaway on March 26. This will be DH's first ever cruise. So excited...sounds like we are going to have a lot of fun.

On 2/11/2023 at 6:17 AM, cementhands said:

My wife and I are cruisers with over 45 spread out to Platinum on NCL, Elite on Celebrity, Diamond on RCL, a number of carnival and quite a few Princess, one HAL toooooo young for that, one Premier our first cruise. So the Getaway has many great things. Excellent band called Zenhitt with amazing Marsha singing. Played really great Reggae by the pool and had us dancing daily, great Motown and dancing in atrium and Bliss lounge too. Excellent ABBA tribute in another room. Dance floor was always packed. You’ll enjoy them if onboard soon. Mojitos bar has an excellent duo with dancing in the hallway this duo also played in atrium with dancing floor packed too.
Spice H20 had many dancing parties that went late into the night with Alvin the CD and very good activities staff.  Pool area was nice and bar staff was great. Devin was an excellent waiter for getting a drink quickly! Back of ship Spice H20 during the day was nice but as you can smoke there quite a bit of that. I didn’t notice any smoke stack issues while there many times in the evening and a few in the day. Ropes course is excellent wishing we did it twice. If you’re able give it a try. Wife did zip line twice and walked out on the plank while I hugged a pole! 
Burn the floor was amazing and saw em twice in theater. Saw em once performing in Tropicana restaurant which had the worst service but great dancing. We enjoyed burn the floor dancing instructions in atrium.amazing athletic dancers.

No assortment of Tea onboard, Lipton or one other English tea, no green tea so bring your own. Outta of bananas day 4! I kept asking and was informed it’s a ligigistics thing, in the Caribbean where bananas are grown, but you can’t get em?
But that’s all fun for us from New England! Many wonderful people we enjoyed meeting from UK, Pennsylvania Europe and Canada and many nice folks from Jersey and New York too.

Ice cream in buffet was great hard and cold with wide variety. Walking out of Moderno as it was terrible, Cagney was great others specialty dinners adequate but no wow! 
We enjoyed over 20,000 steps onboard so if you need to dance we highly recommend the Getaway with the live music and dancing opportunities you’ll enjoy.

My wife and I were on the January 8th cruise of the GA. Did you make it to the DR?

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

My wife and I were on the January 8th cruise of the GA. Did you make it to the DR?

Yes and took a cab to Puerto plata beach! Shared cab with 2 others off ship for $50.00 round trip so $25.00 for wife and I. You have to be strong in negotiation cab. Bait and switch to $75.00 but I told guy off and immediately got the $50.00 rate. Driving through sketchy town! Lock up your window. Definitely not a favorite port!

• Like 2

I believe that if you are willing and able to get up out of your chair and dance and leave drinks and personal property on your chairs it’s reasonable to expect to find your seat unoccupied when finished dancing.   Chair hogging is not a trait of active people.
Smiles are met with smiles onboard a cruise!
Dance like nobody is watching!

Dance like everyone is watching!

But dance!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cementhands said:

I believe that if you are willing and able to get up out of your chair and dance and leave drinks and personal property on your chairs it’s reasonable to expect to find your seat unoccupied when finished dancing.   Chair hogging is not a trait of active people.
Smiles are met with smiles onboard a cruise!
Dance like nobody is watching!

Dance like everyone is watching!

But dance!

Yes, absolutely! 

• Like 2

Etiquette is a lost art! You’re up dancing and you expect your drinks and seats to be unoccupied when you’re finished with dancing? And folks call that chair hogging? I’m not sure how that is possible!
Angry people are just nuts!

Keep enjoying yourself and laugh at their nonsense….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:34 PM, Joesantos said:

Etiquette is a lost art! You’re up dancing and you expect your drinks and seats to be unoccupied when you’re finished with dancing? And folks call that chair hogging? I’m not sure how that is possible!
Angry people are just nuts!

Keep enjoying yourself and laugh at their nonsense….

Yeah, I don’t really consider that chair hogging.  There’s a huge difference between taking up a deck chair for hours and not using it and getting up to dance while watching a show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...