Binoculars on Viking

donaldsc

On 2/14/2023 at 6:12 PM, Australia08 said:

Totally agree with ocean cruises. The expedition cruises provide nice binoculars. Wish those were on ocean!

That's what I was going to say, the expedition ones are very expensive,  I looked them up online when I got home and was surprised. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, THR said:

Anyone have any suggestions on brands/type? I don’t want to spend a lot as it is purely for our Into the Midnight Sun in June - but if they’re that bad, I would get my own.

It depends on your budget, but the Kowa SV 11 , 10 x25 or 8 x 25 are really good and abpout £100 in the UK, so probably cheaper in the US !

Don

On 2/20/2023 at 9:45 PM, rmalbers said:

That's what I was going to say, the expedition ones are very expensive,  I looked them up online when I got home and was surprised. 

Can you tell me which brand and model they were please?

Don

On 2/17/2023 at 11:00 PM, photopro2 said:

Here is a more sensibly priced recommendation than those you got from the old sea dogs 😁

I've done half a dozen cruises with these Nikons and find them ideal. Though, as a long time Canon camera user, I make the recommendation through gritted teeth 😉

Here they are called the Nikon Sportstar EX but I believe they are marketed in the US as Nikon trailblazers and sell for around $90.

They are good quality and work really well in practice, especially in the sea environment as they are waterproof and nitrogen filled to prevent misting. Best of all they really compact and easy to travel with. Below is a photograph of them alongside a coffee mug for scale.

I'm sure you will love the Midnight Sun, it was one of our favourite itineraries. 

image.thumb.jpeg.10a61e8b1abc79e351b7c457eb361fc8.jpeg

Thank you for that recommendation - I will have a look and that is a reasonable price point.

Looking forward to our cruise; only a few months now!

16 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

$699.99.  If you are using OBC, $999.99.....

I was thinking it was $550, the amount was printed on a card in the cabin, I don't remember for sure but it was up there. 

Edited by rmalbers