New/different COVID boarding requirements for boarding Explorer in Tokyo, March/April(?) 2023

Portolan

We received today the COVID-related boarding requirements for our March 14th Tokyo to Tokyo cruise.  I imagine that this will also apply to the other March and April Explorer cruises starting at Tokyo in April.  The key points are:

1. Proof of vaccination, full series but not requiring boosters - this is actually less than entry into Japan requires which includes boosters, so no issue with this.

2. Pre-cruise testing.  PCR or Antigen testing required within 72 hours of boarding (which is not required for entry into Japan if vaccinated and boosted).  We, as no doubt many on this cruise, are doing the included pre-cruise 4-day program so we will already be in Tokyo at 72-hours out.  It would seem reasonable that given a large number of passengers effectively under Regent control for the full testing window, they'd organize something.  Yes, there is a (first-ever?) acceptance of self-testing (see below), but with some documentation including time-stamped photos, but it would still seem much more "luxury" to organize this rather than having hundreds of us sitting in our rooms self-testing and taking pictures.

Regent Email:

Pre-Cruise Testing

For sailings that embark in Japan all guests must provide proof (printed or digital) of a negative COVID-19 PCR test result or a negative COVID-19 Antigen test result within 3 days of embarkation to board the ship.  The test may be administered by a registered test provider or may be a self-test (see below for details).

Registered test provider

Test result documentation from a registered test provider must be provided in English and must include the following information:

·          Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents

·          Your date of birth

·          The result of the test

·          The date and time the test sample was collected

·          The name of the test provider

·          Confirmation of the type of test provided

Self-Testing

Antigen tests may be self-administered. Guests choosing to use a self- administered COVID-19 Antigen test must provide a timestamped photo showing:

·          The negative test result

·          The Antigen test packaging displaying the batch number

·          I.D. (e.g., passport).

I guess things have changed a bit. We were on a pre-cruise tour last May and Regent provided the test to all of us at the port before getting in line to check in. Otherwise, we would have had the same issue with the 72 hour requirement. Of course, at that time self testing wasn't an accepted option. So perhaps they are opting for all of you to be busy self-testing in your hotel rooms. 

Hi Scott (and others) - I have a "general question" about the timing of all this. Are we, as upcoming Regent passengers (ourselves included), still in a position (after over two years since initial "covid stuff" first emerged) of not actually knowing what the "final Covid rules" are for any particular cruise/itinerary BEFORE the final payment period has passed for that cruise?

Does this mean that we (all of us) have to hand over a final non-refundable payment for a future booked cruise and then afterwards, find out that some "new" and previously unexpected/unknowable covid-related "hoop" has to be jumped through (like having to produce a pre-boarding "negative" covid test within 3 days of embarkation), that didn't exist when the cruise was first booked and subsequently, after the final non-refundable payment has been made?

I hope I'm not re-plowing a previously well over-plowed field (or re-killing an already quite dead horse) by asking this question of "the group".  De we need a lawyer to explain Regent's T&C "fine print" us?  I realize that one can buy insurance in advance to cover costs if one becomes (actually) "ill" prior to boarding or while on a cruise.  But no one has any ability to predict with any accuracy whether you might test "positive" on some random antigen test that's administered 4-5 months in the future (even AFTER you have already taken every/all initial vaccines and all subsequent "boosters).  And even testing "positive" on such a test within 3 days of boarding certainly doesn't mean that one is actually "sick" in the traditional sense of health insurance.  Regards to all.

Are you sure this is not something Japan is asking of the cruise line. They have had a bad track record with Covid rules and kept the country closed longer than most.

Testing positive means you are possibly contagious and could spread Covid to others even if you feel fine. Think this is something we will have to live with and keep in the back of our mind. Each country is different and rules can change. I think we will have to deal with the constantly changing Covid rules for some time to come. Just like the risk of being quarantined once on board even though for most, Covid isn’t much of an illness now.

At least they are accepting the home test now.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cwn said:

Are you sure this is not something Japan is asking of the cruise line. They have had a bad track record with Covid rules and kept the country closed longer than most.

Testing positive means you are possibly contagious and could spread Covid to others even if you feel fine. Think this is something we will have to live with and keep in the back of our mind. Each country is different and rules can change. I think we will have to deal with the constantly changing Covid rules for some time to come. Just like the risk of being quarantined once on board even though for most, Covid isn’t much of an illness now.

At least they are accepting the home test now.

It's not a requirement from Japan.  They have an app for those arriving in Japan and it requires a test only if you haven't been vaccinated and boosted.  In any case, no country that I've heard of will accept a self-test.  This is a Regent shift back from the policy of last month (literally) when we didn't have to have any test to board Splendor in Miami (but we nevertheless had a PCR test).  Yes, another country, but nothing indicates that this is a Japanese requirement as we've already been cleared for entry without a test (vaccinated and three-times boosted).

Please don't misunderstand: we welcome any and all requirements for vaccination and testing.  Just pointing out that Regent will be already hosting a large number of us when the testing needs to occur and (I believe) should take the responsibility of making this easier for us. 

This past Dec we had gotten some self test in case we got to feeling bad while traveling. If you are 65 or older (I think that is the age) you can get free test from the government until May. They come 4 to the order. It took about a week to get the on line order. 

Japan is only just opening up to international cruise ships and the authorities have imposed some stringent & specific requirements on the cruise lines. 
As I understand it, this includes the requirement that a cruise be terminated/leave Japan if covid cases on board rise above a set threshold.

Presumably Regent has reintroduced the pre-embarkation testing to reduce the risk of the threshold being exceeded and to have some proof if required by the authorities.

This CC Topic gives some background information:

The cruise we are on is heading for Japan but no word on testing requirements as yet.

(We were told that we will need to test prior to arriving in Taiwan)

My husband and I will be on Explorer, 3/14 - 28 2023, Tokyo - Tokyo.  We will arrive one day prior to the three day pre-cruise land program, "Vibrant Tokyo."  In order to be cleared for this through Japan, we must be (at least) double vaxxed and single boosted; if not, a Covid PCR or Antigen test 72 hours prior to our flight landing, correct?

Additionally, we must take a Covid PCR or Antigen test 72 hours prior to boarding Explorer?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ddsun1 said:

My husband and I will be on Explorer, 3/14 - 28 2023, Tokyo - Tokyo.  We will arrive one day prior to the three day pre-cruise land program, "Vibrant Tokyo."  In order to be cleared for this through Japan, we must be (at least) double vaxxed and single boosted; if not, a Covid PCR or Antigen test 72 hours prior to our flight landing, correct?

Additionally, we must take a Covid PCR or Antigen test 72 hours prior to boarding Explorer?

Thanks!

That's my understanding.  So, for us, no problem with the Japan entry requirements, but concerned about the extra hassle of doing and documenting the antigen self-test 72-hours before boarding.  Finding a local clinic in Japan doesn't make sense.  Seems like Regent should organize something since everyone on the Vibrant Tokyo land program will have the same problem.

Per information received from United Airlines, you can save time on arrival in Japan by registering at the 'Visit Japan Web' at https://vjw-lp.digital.go.jp/en/ web site.  We uploaded our vaccination documentation and it was verified.  In return we received QR codes (different for each step) for arrival, customs and immigration which are supposed to speed the process.  So, entering Japan is easier than boarding Explorer!

• Like 3

Protolan, thank you for the information. We are on the April 10 Tokyo to Tokyo cruise. 
Please keep us updated on what process Regent implements, if any. 
Not thrilled to be flying to Tokyo without knowing that we will be allowed to board the Explorer. 
Wondering what Regent will do with a passenger that tests positive at the pre-cruise hotel. Quarantine in the hotel and join the cruise later? 
How many days would quarantine be in that case?

Perhaps questions for Jennifer Teegen?

7 hours ago, Portolan said:

That's my understanding.  So, for us, no problem with the Japan entry requirements, but concerned about the extra hassle of doing and documenting the antigen self-test 72-hours before boarding.  Finding a local clinic in Japan doesn't make sense.  Seems like Regent should organize something since everyone on the Vibrant Tokyo land program will have the same problem.

Considering that Self-Testing is accepted, it isn't really much of a hassle, and there is no need to find a local clinic.

We embark on March 28, and it is obviously not ideal flying to Japan without being 100% sure to be able to embark. However, the testing requirement was made clear when it was announced that Japan would allow cruises to resume.

An alternative to Self-Testing is this clinic close to Tokyo Hilton at Shinjuku station: https://www.team-medical.or.jp/location/english/

Many are missing my point here: it isn't about the need to self-test (I bet I've done more of those than most here due to professional requirements).  It's that Regent is imposing a new requirement (no proof of negative test required last month on Splendor) which was not imposed by Japan which requires hundreds (assuming many are doing the pre-cruise program) of us to do this after we've started our program with them.  They could have arranged testing on-site at the hotel and process everyone on arrival or accepting a 72-jour test at the start of the land program.  Like they do on cruises when the ships are arriving in countries requiring recent tests.  If this requirement is to make those on the cruise safer, then it should start when we join Vibrant Tokyo which would also allow the testing to be done prior to departure from home.

This'll be our 5th cruise since things restarted.  We have always gotten a PCR test before departure and will do so again.  No point on getting on an expensive flight if you know you are infected and can cancel the flight for a full refund (of miles in our case).  And then self-test after the Vibrant Tokyo program starts.

54 minutes ago, Portolan said:

It's that Regent is imposing a new requirement (no proof of negative test required last month on Splendor) which was not imposed by Japan

Princess Cruises also have the same requirement and on their website it says this is Japan's "protocol." They made the latest post on this on Feb. 14, so only 3 days ago. I would say  it doesn't appear that Regent suddenly placed the requirement on anyone, but Japan did, 

18 hours ago, Portolan said:

"... So, entering Japan is easier than boarding Explorer!"

Scott, exactly!  And that was the main point in my own earlier post (#3).  Is this not a "newly added hurdle" that was imposed by Regent (not by the embarking country - Japan) since/after you first booked the cruise AND AFTER you were required to make your final payment?  Perhaps...perhaps there are more than just a few folks who would NOT have booked this cruise at all (or other cruises), had they known (in advance) about this recently added requirement "before" they put down a first deposit, and certainly before having to make their final payments?  Now, they will be keeping their "fingers crossed", as they leave home and fly across the water to Japan; even after having presumably received a "Negative" covid test result (on their own) before leaving home?

No one has any "certainty" of not "testing positive" within 3 days of this embarkation.  And in this particular case, that would be after flying transcontinental across the Pacific to reach Japan for boarding, and perhaps spending a few days in Japan (i.e., airplanes, hotels, restaurants, sight-seeing on their own) before embarkation.  I can attest from my own most recent personal cruise experience that EVEN AFTER wearing masks in all required venues on a previous Regent cruise (Mariner Panama Canal in Dec '21), after DW and I both tested "negative" at home (Phoenix) before leaving for the embarkations port (Miami), after having tested "negative" on cruise day at the cruise terminal before being allowed to board, AND after having boarded with all the original series of vaccinations plus 2 extra boosters before boarding (DW and I have since had 2 more boosters since that cruise)...We STILL wound up testing "positive" on that cruise (after a mandatory testing imposed on everyone on the ship AFTER it was already in the midst- final days of the cruise) and we wound up being quarantined (fortunately for only the last 24-hours of the cruise before disembarking in San Francisco).  And neither of us had any symptoms before or after that "positive" test onboard!  After disembarking, we rented a car and drove from San Francisco back home to Phoenix.

I hope this fate (a "positive" Covid test) doesn't befall anyone on your upcoming Explorer cruise (after they arrive in Japan, and either before or after boarding the cruise).  No one should falsely think that "taking all the requisite precautions", having the vaccinations with boosters, and wearing masks whenever prudent, is going to "guarantee" that they are absolutely not going to wind up with a "positive" Covid test, after first leaving their homes and heading to Tokyo... either immediately before boarding the ship, or while on the cruise.

Our own past experience has already caused us to (regrettably) cancel an upcoming (previously booked) Navigator cruise in May '23 (prior to final payment), and we're carefully "watching" world health conditions before final payment is due for our booked Splendor TA cruise departing Barcelona to Miami in Nov '23.  We are NOT afraid or concerned about "getting Covid", itself.  We're afraid of how "official-dom" will handle it (and us) outside of our own country, where we loose control of making decisions for ourselves and loose the civil "protections" afforded by our own country.  Of course, we can't really make a full and accurate "risk assessment" of the situation (our Splendor TA) before the "final payment date" in July, now that Regent has shown us (by your own and others experience) that Regent can/will "change the rules" AFTER they have received everyone's final payment.  😟  Best Regards to all.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Princess Cruises also have the same requirement and on their website it says this is Japan's "protocol." They made the latest post on this on Feb. 14, so only 3 days ago. I would say  it doesn't appear that Regent suddenly placed the requirement on anyone, but Japan did, 

If so, it isn't mentioned on the official Japan entry clearance site I cited earlier.  And, again, I've never read of any country which had testing requirements and will accept self-tests.  Way too many variables and certification issues for these.  I suggest you get your information from go.jp (government of Japan) web sites and not Princess...or Regent.  We have our clearances to enter Japan from the Japanese government.  Do you think they've imposed a higher standard for those leaving Japan?

Is this the only Japanese port you will be in and when you board the ship you will not go to any other Japanese port. It is a little surprising that two lines would have the same protocol. Just curious.

18 hours ago, Portolan said:

It's that Regent is imposing a new requirement (no proof of negative test required last month on Splendor) which was not imposed by Japan which requires hundreds (assuming many are doing the pre-cruise program) of us to do this after we've started our program with them. 

The following article indicates that the Japanese government has issued guidelines to the cruise lines that include pre- embarkation testing:

https://crew-center.com/japan-lifts-entry-ban-international-cruise-ships

Are you suggesting that Regent should ignore guidelines when they are introduced?, however inconvenient that may be for their guests.

(see also my post #7 above)

The Japanese government announced on November 15 that cruises would be allowed to resume, if they follow the guidelines issued by the government. 

These guidelines include a pre-embarkation Covid test, so I don't think it is fair to say that it is Regent imposing this test.

https://crew-center.com/japan-lifts-entry-ban-international-cruise-ships

Self-testing was also accepted when we embarked in Sydney in December. 

I find it quite normal that this pre-cruise testing requirement is not among the rules for entering the country, as embarking a cruise ship has nothing to do with entering the country.

14 hours ago, Portolan said:

If so, it isn't mentioned on the official Japan entry clearance site I cited earlier.  And, again, I've never read of any country which had testing requirements and will accept self-tests.  Way too many variables and certification issues for these.  I suggest you get your information from go.jp (government of Japan) web sites and not Princess...or Regent.  We have our clearances to enter Japan from the Japanese government.  Do you think they've imposed a higher standard for those leaving Japan?

Do I think they "imposed a higher standard for those leaving Japan?"  Don't know.  Canada did last summer.  We could fly, drive, or train to Canada with no testing but to leave on a cruise required a negative test.  So maybe Japan hasn't caught up to its own regulations. Don't know.  But I DO know that Regent,  Princess, and Royal Caribbean all require testing and accept self-tests for cruises in Japan.  So it might be Japanese policy or simply cruise line policies.  But it's someone's policy. 

Look, everyone can believe what they wish.  But, intensive Google searches have found NO mention of this requirement on any Japanese government web site.  Citing a non-governmental post from last November isn't definitive.  And, yes, the CoC pretty much allows any cruise line to set their own standards.

What many have totally missed in their replies is the issue I have which is not the testing.  It's that Regent knows that a (very?) large number of us will arrive and start traveling with Regent, albeit on land, in the time frame the testing will not to be done.  A regent-arranged group testing option would be pure logistic efficiency.  That's it.  That's what I posted about initially and then the replies morphed into saying it was a Japanese government requirement.  The evidence appears it isn't, but that's not my complaint.  Regent could have made this much simpler for their passengers, but didn't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Portolan said:

Look, everyone can believe what they wish.  But, intensive Google searches have found NO mention of this requirement on any Japanese government web site.  Citing a non-governmental post from last November isn't definitive.  And, yes, the CoC pretty much allows any cruise line to set their own standards.

What many have totally missed in their replies is the issue I have which is not the testing.  It's that Regent knows that a (very?) large number of us will arrive and start traveling with Regent, albeit on land, in the time frame the testing will not to be done.  A regent-arranged group testing option would be pure logistic efficiency.  That's it.  That's what I posted about initially and then the replies morphed into saying it was a Japanese government requirement.  The evidence appears it isn't, but that's not my complaint.  Regent could have made this much simpler for their passengers, but didn't.

Have you called Regent and checked to see if they're willing to set up testing?  

If they say no, then I'd go with "govt. regulations" and simply ignore it and show up at the port and see what happens. Not really, I'm being sarcastic.  Take a home test and self administer at the hotel and follow Regent's requirements for self testing. There you go...done. 

52 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Take a home test and self administer at the hotel and follow Regent's requirements for self testing. There you go...done. 

Yup...."Easie-Peasie", as long as you test "negative"...  And what happens if you don't?