Hilton Inn & HGI

RTR 21-0

Anyone stayed recently at either of these in Fiumicino?  Reviews aren’t that good on TA and a few other sites.  Last day after cruise we’d like to stay in Fiumicino but close to train into Rome as I’m sure we’ll need something to do until check in time.  Not sure what traffic will be like heading to airport from Rome (would need to be there by 9:30 a.m.) and thought it would be more cost effective getting a car service from port to Fiumicino then playing by ear what we’ll do that last day.  I’ve looked in the hotel thread and saw mostly Rome based hotels.  Suggestions and ideas appreciated.  

Yep, that’s what I meant, Hilton & HGI.  I think my brain is officially fried from finishing up research & bookings for this trip.  I previously saw the “Rome Airport Hotels” but wasn’t sure if any of those commenting had stayed there recently.  I checked out Hotel Riviera and they have twin beds (not our thing) or a junior suite which costs more than the Hilton’s.  I really was surprised at the bad reviews both Hilton & GHI recently received.  But, for the sake of convenience and being able to hopefully have them store our luggage while we venture out until room is ready, one will suffice.  Thank y’all for replying! 

Airport hotels are hotels of convenience. They have a ready-made customer base. Like hotels in Civitavecchia, they have little incentive to improve as people wanting to be close to the airport will book them nonetheless....

If I didn't have to be at the airport until 9:30 am, I would just stay in Rome for the night, not at the airport. Any hotel will hold your bags until check-in.

• Thanks 1

Cruisemom42, I have been re-thinking that idea.  That’s exactly the time we need to be there! Are you psychic lol.  Actually. from seeing you on the board I’ve learned you’re a seasoned pro so I need to ask your thoughts.  Staying in Piazza Navona and walking around before our 2:00 tour of Colosseum.  Saturday morning at 9 is our tour of Vatican and more walking on our own afterward to see the must sees.  Hoping that will include Pantheon, Trevi & Spanish Steps since they seem to be reasonable close to Piazza Navona.  The day we come back I was thinking we could stay in Trastevere as I’ve read it’s a pretty cool area to see.   I’m open to suggestions on other areas that don’t focus on the sights of the city center.  I’ve seen a few online but having never been to Rome a little apprehensive as to what would be a good, safe area.  Mainly just want something we can do without putting a lot of energy into that day..strolling around, gelato 😉

1 hour ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Cruisemom42, I have been re-thinking that idea.  That’s exactly the time we need to be there! Are you psychic lol.  Actually. from seeing you on the board I’ve learned you’re a seasoned pro so I need to ask your thoughts.  Staying in Piazza Navona and walking around before our 2:00 tour of Colosseum.  Saturday morning at 9 is our tour of Vatican and more walking on our own afterward to see the must sees.  Hoping that will include Pantheon, Trevi & Spanish Steps since they seem to be reasonable close to Piazza Navona.  The day we come back I was thinking we could stay in Trastevere as I’ve read it’s a pretty cool area to see.   I’m open to suggestions on other areas that don’t focus on the sights of the city center.  I’ve seen a few online but having never been to Rome a little apprehensive as to what would be a good, safe area.  Mainly just want something we can do without putting a lot of energy into that day..strolling around, gelato 😉

Lol, not psychic, just a good reader (you mention the 9:30 am time in your original post on this thread. 😁).

From Piazza Navona the Pantheon is only a few blocks, and there is a fairly easy "path" from the Pantheon to Trevi to the Spanish Steps, it's a path I walk virtually every visit. If you have access to Rick Steves, he provides a self-guided walk across Rome, part of which covers these -- you could easily adapt and follow his directions and info for the part you want to cover.

Trastevere is very popular and sort of a "destination unto itself" so it could make sense if you just want to stay in one particular area. Without too much effort you can stroll the area and see a variety of things. Even if you're taking it easy, you really should visit at least one (if not both) of the beautiful churches -- Santa Maria in Trastevere and Santa Cecilia in Trastevere.  Beautiful interiors. Have lunch at Dar Poeta -- I ate there on my last long visit (pre-COVID) -- it is a HIGHLY RATED pizzeria. Very small, get there early or be prepared to wait.

Good self-guided walking tour for Trastevere:   https://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/walking-tours/walking-tour-trastevere

• Like 1

Cruisemom42, I promise you I am really not as blonde as I sound lol.  I have two computer screens, a laptop and iPhone screens staring at me and think therein lies the problem 🤪 I really appreciate you taking time to provide this info to me.  Going to step away for a day and hopefully will be thinking more clearly afterward to gather a game plan or perhaps just recall the info I put in my original post a few hours earlier lol.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Anyone stayed recently at either of these in Fiumicino?  Reviews aren’t that good on TA and a few other sites.  Last day after cruise we’d like to stay in Fiumicino but close to train into Rome as I’m sure we’ll need something to do until check in time.  Not sure what traffic will be like heading to airport from Rome (would need to be there by 9:30 a.m.) and thought it would be more cost effective getting a car service from port to Fiumicino then playing by ear what we’ll do that last day.  I’ve looked in the hotel thread and saw mostly Rome based hotels.  Suggestions and ideas appreciated.  

Last Sept we stayed at the Hotel Riviera in Fiumicino & it's about 15 min ride to airport.  It was 2 blocks off the beach and we loved it.  Hotel is a bit older, but large rooms & the area is quiet with lots of fabulous restaurants & surprisingly inexpensive food.  We were ready for some down time after spending days sightseeing in Rome.  If you want to stay by the Plaza Narvazza (sp) we recommend Hotel Della Argentina.  Great location and the staff was wonderful within walking distance to Plaza and some local off the beaten path restaurants.  

• Thanks 1