Cruise Director Gene Young has passed away

GPPhilly

The day of his passing they said was Feb 8th. That day he was Introducing the captain at the captains

cocktail reception in the YC. Can anyone confirm from last weeks cruise if he was the cruise director?

Maybe it was someone who looked like him?

Some who were on his last sailing reported on another social media forum that he announced his retirement from being a CD to them. They also reported he said he wasn’t leaving MSC but taking another position. 

Who knows if that’s accurate. He may have announced he was leaving for his break and nothing else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Unfortunately, it appears he passed away on Feb 14, 2023.

depression is a difficult illness for many who suffer from it. 
Masking is often used to hide the suffering. 

On this sad day, it is a good reminder to take time to check in with loved ones. 

Edited by phissy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, styles27 said:

Some who were on his last sailing reported on another social media forum that he announced his retirement from being a CD to them. They also reported he said he wasn’t leaving MSC but taking another position. 

Who knows if that’s accurate. He may have announced he was leaving for his break and nothing else. 

He launched new ships and acted as a cruise director for the new ships for a couple of months and then went to the office to launch the next new ship.  He just got off the Seascape - such a nice, sweet guy.  So sad, he talked about the sad personal stuff in his life as if they were a joke but  you never know what people are hiding ... so sad

• Thanks 2

We are horrified to hear this. Gene directed our first cruise (Viking) and he was so kind and attentive, he made us feel so special.  It wasn't until we'd been on a few more trips that we realized what an amazing CD he was. We have photos of him and we talk so fondly of that trip, and of Gene making the time to sing happy birthday to me during dinner. Oh, Gene. You were really adored. We're just gutted.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, styles27 said:

Thats quite interesting.  

When we last saw him in February of 2022 onboard Seashore we sat down with him in the Brooklyn Cafe and he told us he was retiring from his Cruise Director role in order to take a shoreside position with MSC.  He told us that it was his last cruise and he appeared to be very excited to start the next chapter in his career.  

We told him how much we appreciated his enthusiasm and multifaceted talents over the years as Cruise Director and wished him luck with his new adventure.  

Of course it appears that he wasn’t able to stay away from the Cruise Director role for long as i think he helped inaugurate World Europa and Seascape.  

Pam and I are both shocked and saddened to hear of his sudden passing.  

Edited by Motegi
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Motegi said:

Thats quite interesting.  

When we last saw him in February of 2022 onboard Seashore we sat down with him in the Brooklyn Cafe and he told us he was retiring from his Cruise Director role in order to take a shoreside position with MSC.  He told us that it was his last cruise and he appeared to be very excited to start the next chapter in his career.  

We told him how much we appreciated his enthusiasm and multifaceted talents over the years as Cruise Director and wished him luck with his new adventure.  

Of course it appears that he wasn’t able to stay away from the Cruise Director role for long as i think he helped inaugurate World Europa and Seascape.  

Pam and I are both shocked and saddened to hear of his sudden passing.  

I’m so sorry.  Besides being a wonderful person, he was such a great CD.
I’m sure MSC loved having him in that role…especially on their new ships as they knew he was loved by so many. 
I can’t tell you the name of most of the CD’s we’ve had over the years but Gene definitely stood out to us.
He made it his job to speak to as many passengers as he could. He was one of a kind. 
Praying he’s at peace now. 

• Like 2