Question about B2B turnaround day

Purple Gallinule

Although we have been on a lot of cruises, this June we will be doing our first B2B between the NB Vancouver to Whittier and the SB Whittier to Vancouver on Majestic. We have the same cabin for both legs, and it is two 7-day cruises not one 14-day. What do we have to do in Whittier? Do we have to get off the ship and back on? Do we have to get new medallions? Could we stay aboard, for example in the Hollywood Conservatory? We assume we can leave all our belongings in the stateroom, including the safe.

I don't know if it is different in different ports but when we did a B2B last year in San Pedro, we had to get off the ship and back on. They give you a Guest in Transfer card to carry. The medallions do not change. However if you go up a level you can get a new one at guest services that is the new color. No, don't think you are allowed to stay on the ship. Yes, leave all your stuff in the stateroom unless you are changing to a different one. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Although we have been on a lot of cruises, this June we will be doing our first B2B between the NB Vancouver to Whittier and the SB Whittier to Vancouver on Majestic. We have the same cabin for both legs, and it is two 7-day cruises not one 14-day. What do we have to do in Whittier? Do we have to get off the ship and back on? Do we have to get new medallions? Could we stay aboard, for example in the Hollywood Conservatory? We assume we can leave all our belongings in the stateroom, including the safe.

Assuming you're staying in the same room, you're all set. If you're switching cabins, you'll have to move your personal stuff (valuables) while the stewards move your luggage and such. 

Whittier is slightly different than other UE ports as you'll have completed US arrivals info in Vancouver before departure, making Whittier a walk-off port with no immigration and customs checks... They may or may not make you disembark for a short bit, but our experience in the past was that we didn't have to. I'm trying to remember if we had to meet briefly that morning for a head count, so to speak, but honestly, it was 2015, and there has been a lot of cruises in a lot of ports since then, lol.. 

There shouldn't be any immigration or customs there though, it'll basically be a port day for you ..  immigration/customs is done in Vancouver before departure.. same as flying to the US from Vancouver... 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Thanks 1

I have done a few B2Bs with turnaround in Whittier but never with a Medallion.

Technically - you do not need to disembark because you cleared US Customs/Immigration in Vancouver. You will receive a letter in your box a few days before. You can disembark at any time (there is a great 26 Glacier tour if interested). We were told if we choose to stay on the ship - we would have to report to the gangway at a certain time so that we could "exit" and "re-enter" in their system. We did not have to exit the ship, they just needed to zero out the passengers. We literally had to check out with our old card and check in with our new card.

If you do leave the ship, remember to take the intransit card and ID (if they give you one). This will speed up getting back on the ship when you return. I once went for a walk and that was handy.

Again, I didn't have a medallion so some things may change but it is very easy in Whittier as you haven't left the country since your last port.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

It’s a bit of a tossup as to whether you’ll actually have to make your way to the gangway or whether they’ll do it in a lounge/theatre, but the ship does have to be zeroed at a specific point.  

As someone who sails this route fairly frequently, I’ll pitch that renting an Avis car in Whittier and touring for the day, or doing the Umpteen Glaciers tour, is a good idea.  I live where there are trees, mountains and water, and I still find this part of Alaska beautiful.   We’ve even seen a mama bear fishing with her cubs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

It’s a bit of a tossup as to whether you’ll actually have to make your way to the gangway or whether they’ll do it in a lounge/theatre, but the ship does have to be zeroed at a specific point.  

It probably depends on how many are doing a B2B. When I have done it, it wasn't advertised as a 14 night cruise. Now they seem to be doing this a lot. If there are a lot - my guess is lounge/theatre.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

As someone who sails this route fairly frequently, I’ll pitch that renting an Avis car in Whittier and touring for the day, or doing the Umpteen Glaciers tour, is a good idea.  I live where there are trees, mountains and water, and I still find this part of Alaska beautiful.   We’ve even seen a mama bear fishing with her cubs.

The rental car is a great idea, but they are sold out that day. We have had the same problems in other ports. Apparently you need to book cars as soon as you book the ship! We did the 26 glacier tour before and it was terrific. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t give up hope on the rental just yet.  They don’t really start actively managing the inventory until the season actually starts.  All of the Avis outstations in Alaska are one licensee and they know where the money comes from so they’re generally pretty good about getting cars in the right places. 

• Thanks 1