Princess Alaska Shore Excursions--what's your favorite?

no1racefan1

DH and I are thinking of booking Alaska in 2024 for our 15th anniversary. I'm wondering what is everybody's favorite Princess sponsored shore excursion in each of the Alaskan ports? I know a lot of people on these boards prefer independent excursions, and that's fine, but we have enjoyed every ship-sponsored excursion we've done and prefer to book that way for the convenience. Thus, I'm only looking for Princess shore excursion recommendations 🙂

Our very first cruise was to Alaska and we did helicopter/glacier dogsledding in Juneau, white pass railway in Skagway, and no excursion in Ketchikan. Looking for things that are different than those, and a bonus if they include being outside hiking, exploring, etc. We would probably be going end of May so I don't know if some excursions only operate certain time of year?

We did hiking (a couple of excursions, a few on our own) in Skagway (Chillkoot hike and float as well as the Laughton Glacier Hike a separate time) and have done our own trails in Whittier and Sitka. This time around we're doing a guided hike to Mendenhall in Juneau (have done the helihike before) and trails in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. We've also done the smaller boat to get nearer to glaciers. Neat, but expensive to the point I wouldn't do it again.

We both would highly recommend the guided hikes for Laughton and Chillkoot for sure. Well put together and excellent guides.

• Like 1

Back in 2000 we went to Alaska and enjoyed the River Float  in Haines it is like river rafting but in calmer water.  We seen lots of eagles and they would throw fish they were inflated with air so the fish would float and you could see the eagles swoop down and pick them up. We also really enjoyed the helicopter flight to the dog sled team on top of the glacier it was expensive and they may not fly in bad weather but the scenery in the helicopter was beautiful and you got to mush dogs on the glacier (I am a huge Iditarod fan)  

We're taking our first Princess cruise in September (21 on other lines). We were in Alaska on Celebrity in 2019 and planned to go back in 2020, but we all know what happened to that idea!

We independently did the 'Deadliest Catch' tour in Ketchikan' and Tracy's Crab Shack is a must if you like King Crab. Skagway eans the White Pass & Yukon Railroad up into the Yukon and in Juneau, look at Wings Airways for a float plane flight over seven glaciers (with or without lunch at Taku Lodge).

Edited by Guindalf

Well...you've already done the "big" ones!  I really like the White Pass Railroad and also very much enjoyed the helicopter flight to glacier in Juneau.  The Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan is very entertaining...it does not take a lot of time.  The cable car in Juneau to the top of the mountain is also interesting.  And of course...whale watching (depending on time of year.)

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1

My favorite one ever was a train/snow shoe hike we did in Skagway. We took the train partway up then got off, put on snow shoes and hiked up to a glacier overlook. It was warm, the snow was soft and melty, and I fell down about a gazillion times. Wouldn't and couldn't do that these days, but it was a real highlight of that trip.

• Like 2

Different from what you've already done (as those are great ones):

Juneau:   float plan to Taku Glacier Lodge with fresh grilled salmon.   It's a beautiful place, nice sightseeing flight in, just a great excursion overall.

Skagway:  Hike & Float the Chilkoot Trail (we also did the helicopter glacier walk in the morning).

Ketchikan:   a tour to one of the totem parks would be good.   We did this in conjunction with a beautiful guided hike (but not a Princess Tour).   Then lunch at Alaska Fish House & walked along the salmon ladders on our own.

an earlier time in Juneau, we took the Mt Roberts Tram and hiked around - beautiful!