Discover Princess, Alaska disembarkation

ALA1262

We are traveling on the Discovery Princess, Sept 2023.  My question is disembarkation.  Our return flight is at 10 AM.  If doing the first walk-off in Seattle should I have ample time to make our 10AM flight at Seatac?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by ALA1262
minor change

We're on discovery in September and I asked the same question on FB. There are flights at 10:30am and then not until 4:10pm.

Almost every reply said you will NOT make the 10:30 flight because SeaTac is a very difficult airport to get through. It can easily take two hours plus to get through security alone!

I discovered this FREE service so we'll do some sightseeing and take the later flight. We've been pushed to make a flight before and it's just not worth it after a great, relaxing cruise!

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  As @Guindalf has stated...you should really consider changing to a later flight.  One way to get an idea as to what is considered "acceptable" is to go into your cruise personalizer in the travel section and just look at the flights & times suggested.  If you were to book using EZAir...these would be the minimum times that *they* consider as doable.  The port/airport are not that far away...but all the planets & stars would need to align *perfectly* along with a tad bit of luck to be "safe".  Why create all that extra stress?  Don't mess up your great cruise right at the end with something like this.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

I agree with others, 10:30 would be way too tight for me.  The ship will probably be in port and ready for disembarkation by 7am, but you'd want to do luggage in hand walk off disembarkation and want to be in some of the first groups to walk off the ship.

Do consider using the Spot Saver service at SEA.

https://www.portseattle.org/SEAspotsaver

No need for TSA PreCheck.  I refuse to pay the government for the right to avoid their incompetence.

Nobody has been able to successfully explain to me why Seattle has such slow security lanes, but that seems to be the case in the last 2 years or so.  Last time I flew out of Seattle was probably 2018 and it wasn't terrible, so I'm not sure what has changed.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, jeromep said:

I agree with others, 10:30 would be way too tight for me.  The ship will probably be in port and ready for disembarkation by 7am, but you'd want to do luggage in hand walk off disembarkation and want to be in some of the first groups to walk off the ship.

Do consider using the Spot Saver service at SEA.

https://www.portseattle.org/SEAspotsaver

No need for TSA PreCheck.  I refuse to pay the government for the right to avoid their incompetence.

Nobody has been able to successfully explain to me why Seattle has such slow security lanes, but that seems to be the case in the last 2 years or so.  Last time I flew out of Seattle was probably 2018 and it wasn't terrible, so I'm not sure what has changed.

Err,  to get TSA Precheck approval they did a background check that determined you are low threat. Thus, making some of the standard airport checks unnecessary. Not sure how that qualifies as incompetence. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

Err,  to get TSA Precheck approval they did a background check that determined you are low threat. Thus, making some of the standard airport checks unnecessary. Not sure how that qualifies as incompetence. 

Because none of the airport "screening" activities are actually all that meaningful.  It is all security theater.  Any automated system can background check entire booked airline passenger manifests against watch lists inside minutes.  Find a possible hit in a passenger list, segregate them at the time of ID verification in the security line and do normal run-of-the mill metal detection and x-ray of baggage for everyone else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeromep said:

Because none of the airport "screening" activities are actually all that meaningful.  It is all security theater.  Any automated system can background check entire booked airline passenger manifests against watch lists inside minutes.  Find a possible hit in a passenger list, segregate them at the time of ID verification in the security line and do normal run-of-the mill metal detection and x-ray of baggage for everyone else.

Really?

I’m glad I’m not flying on your plane!

Personally, I’m happy to go through the ‘security theater’ as you call it to know I’m safe and I’m happy to wait a while to be checked out along with everyone else. If that means I have to get a slightly later flight, so be it, but that’s better than another 9/11!

… and before you ask, on my return flight from LA to Atlanta two weeks ago, I was just short of strip searched because I’m in a mobility scooter and wear a CGM. 

Aaand, bringing this back to the OP’s question. 

I’m local, I used to live on the hill to the west of the pier. 

absolutely no way on earth would I book the 10:00 departure, and I’m the sort who lives dangerously - it’s a combination of the next flight not being for six and a half hours and planes flying really, really, really full from Seattle all the time now. 

TL:DR  Don"t Do It!

We have been through many airports over many years.  We have never been to another airport as messed up as Seatac.  The lines are OMG long and move very slowly.  Oh, and the TSA agents are a surly bunch, too.  Our experience was that Precheck wasn't all that much help due to the long lines to get that far.

Absolute DO sign up for Port Valet.  It was great!!!  I wish every cruise port offered it.

• 2 months later...

Alaska Air fixed my return time for me.  They had a schedule change and Im now leaving 3 hours later.  Thank you for all the advice.

Edited by ALA1262
minor change