Upcountry Tour on Maui

marnie2005

I’m not sure about an actual tour company because we drive ourselves, but upcountry is a lovely day. Super easy to rent a car and explore on your own.

Lots of little tourist places to check out; oceans distillery, goat dairy, lavender farm, pineapple tour, chocolate tour, etc… We like to drive all the way to Uluoalakua ranch with the winery next door. You may enjoy lunch in one of the towns or at Kula Lodge for great views. If you are there for sunset and Haleakala looks visable you won’t regret heading to the top for a surreal sunset.

Silversweethearts will likely chime in and they know upcountry far better than I do, but IMO upcountry is a very nice way to spend a day in Maui. 

Super easy drive. I use google maps, but pick up a map at rental car as cell phone reception isn’t guaranteed. Another option is to buy the Shaka or Gypsy app (we have gypsy). Download before the trip and you won’t have to worry about cell. It’s only $13 and you will have your very own tour guide. The only road even remotely sketchy is to the top of Haleakala and even then it’s quite easy. 

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I’m not sure about an actual tour company because we drive ourselves, but upcountry is a lovely day. Super easy to rent a car and explore on your own.

Lots of little tourist places to check out; oceans distillery, goat dairy, lavender farm, pineapple tour, chocolate tour, etc… We like to drive all the way to Uluoalakua ranch with the winery next door. You may enjoy lunch in one of the towns or at Kula Lodge for great views. If you are there for sunset and Haleakala looks visable you won’t regret heading to the top for a surreal sunset. 

If you value an area of peace and quiet without many visitors, you may like it up here.  It is one of those places you can't really describe.  If you have some time while you are here, come take a look at a side of Hawaii life most visitors never take time to see.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2023 at 8:41 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Silversweethearts will likely chime in and they know upcountry far better than I do, but IMO upcountry is a very nice way to spend a day in Maui. 

We took a look at what is offered with tours up here, and we certainly agree with BermudaBound2014 that it is best to do it yourself.  We just went to Ulupalakua earlier this month and had lunch at the Ranch Store.  They have lamb, elk, beef and venison burgers.  Not the tastiest things in the world, but fun to try.  The views on the way up and back are spectacular if the skies are clear,  and there is good road at least as far as Ulupalakua.   The winery across the road is usually popular.  We could go on, but everyone should do a little research and see what, if anything, appeals to them. Guided tours of the area are several hundred dollars per person.  Save your money.  Design your own tour and rent a car.  If you have questions or want helpful hints, ask the contributors on CC who have been there/done that.  It does make for a nice day...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, marnie2005 said:

We have secured a car and will do our own tour. Now to plan our day!

You've been given good advice to buy either the Shaka or Gypsy apps for touring-- personally I prefer the Gypsy app. You should of course plan for major things you want to see ahead of time, but the app lets you make decisions to see other things spur of the moment and will also point out things you weren't even looking for. Just don't wait to download it while you're on the drive-- download ahead of time when you have cell/wifi and you wont have any issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, marnie2005 said:

Thank you so much for your valuable information. We have secured a car and will do our own tour. Now to plan our day!

Hawaii vacation Guide (they have free guides and paid ones, along with videos on youtube) has helpful hints

• Thanks 1