Oceania's AK cruises cost more than Regent, Silversea, Seabourn????

dcsam

I've been searching for an Alaska cruise for quite some time now.  Oceania would be easy for us (drive to port). But I'm having a very hard time justifying their cost.  Seems the luxury lines (out of Vancouver) offer more, for a comparable (if not less) rate. I'd be booking with Seabourn today, but I am concerned it may be a bit 'stuffier' and dressier than Oceania. Silversea is out, due to the formality in dress.  Regent is out too - we don't do excursions or drink (much  ;-).  Do I wait and hope Oceania will have reduced rates closer to sailing?  We are very flexible when we travel.  We can wait and hope for the best, or just take the plunge and go with Seabourn.  I'm not usually so apprehensive about choosinga cruise, but the cost for this is more than we've spent in the past, and there are several options.  

I didn't mean to imply that Regent costs less - their cost is higher.  But that rate includes more .  Great for those who partake in excursions, drink.  Tips are included too.  So it seems to be a better value.  

5 minutes ago, dcsam said:

I didn't mean to imply that Regent costs less - their cost is higher.  But that rate includes more .  Great for those who partake in excursions, drink.  Tips are included too.  So it seems to be a better value.  

You did more than imply Regent costs less...you said it straight out:

1 hour ago, dcsam said:

Seems the luxury lines (out of Vancouver) offer more, for a comparable (if not less) rate.

"offer more for a comparable (if not less) rate" means Regent was charging the same or less...but now you said they're charging you more...contradicting your first post.

It may be a "better value" if you want to do their included excursions and if you want drinks included. It isn't a 'better value" for someone who doesn't want those inclusions.

2 hours ago, dcsam said:

I've been searching for an Alaska cruise for quite some time now.  Oceania would be easy for us (drive to port). But I'm having a very hard time justifying their cost.  Seems the luxury lines (out of Vancouver) offer more, for a comparable (if not less) rate. I'd be booking with Seabourn today, but I am concerned it may be a bit 'stuffier' and dressier than Oceania. Silversea is out, due to the formality in dress.  Regent is out too - we don't do excursions or drink (much  ;-).  Do I wait and hope Oceania will have reduced rates closer to sailing?  We are very flexible when we travel.  We can wait and hope for the best, or just take the plunge and go with Seabourn.  I'm not usually so apprehensive about choosinga cruise, but the cost for this is more than we've spent in the past, and there are several options.  

I am not seeing Seabourn Alaska cruises that are less than Oceania. Can you give an example (month/length/cabin class)? I am on a June sailing so I compared similar sailings and Oceania is way  cheaper.

Seabourn:  

June 30 (14 nt cruise)

Balcony cabin  (~250-300 sq. ft)

~$700 per person per night

Close to  all-inclusive

Oceania (does not include tipping or drinks):

-August 8 (10 night cruise)

-penthouse cabin (~320 sq. ft)

- ~$750 per person per night

-standard balcony (we’ve stayed in these before and they are cramped): ~$500 per person per night

59 minutes ago, dcsam said:

Seabourn:  

June 30 (14 nt cruise)

Close to  all-inclusive

-standard balcony (we’ve stayed in these before and they are cramped): ~$500 per person per night

Ah, yes...a PH will do it. We don't care about cabin size (even tried out what are now Solo-cabins on R-ships) so the price difference from OV or veranda on O to anything on Seabourn is massive for us. The menus on O (more choices of non-meat dishes) and no need for a jacket/blazer fit us better, although I like the Seabourn Alaska itineraries better (especially one-ways with smaller ports).

1 hour ago, dcsam said:

FYI - Riviera will be on the Alaska runs in 2025 and she has larger veranda cabins (and lovely large showers) that may suit you better than Regatta's verandas...282 vs 216 sq. ft.; more pax but also more amenities.

If a balcony isn't an absolute must, there are 4 C1 cabins on R-ships that are larger (~282 sq. ft.) but quite forward. They sell fast though.

I keep my eye on O Alaska and CA prices. The Alaska-only itineraries rarely have great deals with the seasonal sales (especially if you book PH since they are less common in the 4-cat upgrade offers). The best price is usually when the itineraries come out. If a better deal comes along your TA will be able to get it (but any perks with the original booking may go away).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dcsam said:

Seabourn:  

June 30 (14 nt cruise)

Close to  all-inclusive

In my opinion, the PH prices on R ships are not a good value in general. They are 260 sqft (excluding balcony) which is still less than standard cabins on SB or SS, and they often cost more than SS or SS with less inclusions. And yes, veranda cabins on R ships are a bit small.

This is why we prefer the O ships. I think veranda cabins on O ships represent the best value in the industry and they are a very good size (240 sqft excluding balcony).

Thank you all for the feedback.  Although I’d love to do Alaska with Oceania, I’ll look at a winter getaway aboard the Vista.  As mentioned above, the value of the PH (aboard the smaller ships) just isn’t there.  Oceania and Viking are our preferred lines.  Both simply fit us best in dress, service and overall ambiance.