NCL Portsmouth to Reykjavik May 2024

thinblueline28

Hey y'all!! Just wondering if anyone has booked this cruise yet? It goes to a lot of ports and I was wondering if anyone can recommend the must-see or must-do excursions while in port. We got a balcony midship on 10th floor but will have our 15-year-old daughter with us. I am hoping it is enough room for the 3 of us. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is our first time in Europe. 

1 hour ago, thinblueline28 said:

Hey y'all!! Just wondering if anyone has booked this cruise yet? It goes to a lot of ports and I was wondering if anyone can recommend the must-see or must-do excursions while in port. We got a balcony midship on 10th floor but will have our 15-year-old daughter with us. I am hoping it is enough room for the 3 of us. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is our first time in Europe. 

Stavanger Norway is a very pretty port , cruise ships dock right in town no need for excursions there is a few small museums worth going too and nice to just walk round, Bergen Norway again don’t need to book excursions just walk straight into Bergen plenty to do, there is a Mountain cable car within walking distance great views of Bergen at top. Norway is very very expensive don’t bother changing any money into Krone just use your credit cards. 

• Like 2

Plan to stay at least two or better, theee days after disembarking.  We did the Star in August and disembarked in Reyjakvik.  We had booked three tours with Nice Travel (great people) and when we disembarked they picked us up at the port for our tour, we were the final stop which put us in the back of the van, but that’s okay. 
they dropped us off at the stop closest to our hotel, wh Ch was very close and the driver jumped out and ran a block or so to make sure the hotel was where he thought and directed us accordingly.   Next morning we were at stop #1 so we were the first guys on the bus with great seats.   Reyjakvik was phenomenal, the waterfalls, geysers, geothermal areas (Golden Circle tour, we ate fresh ht bread thT had been dug out of an “oven” at the edge of a lake, where local bakeries bury their baking vessels in the sand next to the lake that is steaming hot all the time.  There are so many spectacular things to see.  Treat yourself to several days in Reyjakvik, but be WRe that if you book a hotel near the airport many tour companies will not take you all the way home as it’s very far from town.  

• Like 1

Portsmouth UK to Rey

On 2/20/2023 at 7:04 PM, Holidayforever2 said:

Glad I have seen this post as I live in Portsmouth it would be great to do a cruise from my home town , I am interested in the one going to Iceland . 

We are at sea for only one day. It has so many stops. How awesome it would be to just leave from home. I used to do that when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale. I was always cruising the Caribbean. You should check it our. There's a lot of specials right now. 

22 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Plan to stay at least two or better, theee days after disembarking.  We did the Star in August and disembarked in Reyjakvik.  We had booked three tours with Nice Travel (great people) and when we disembarked they picked us up at the port for our tour, we were the final stop which put us in the back of the van, but that’s okay. 
they dropped us off at the stop closest to our hotel, wh Ch was very close and the driver jumped out and ran a block or so to make sure the hotel was where he thought and directed us accordingly.   Next morning we were at stop #1 so we were the first guys on the bus with great seats.   Reyjakvik was phenomenal, the waterfalls, geysers, geothermal areas (Golden Circle tour, we ate fresh ht bread thT had been dug out of an “oven” at the edge of a lake, where local bakeries bury their baking vessels in the sand next to the lake that is steaming hot all the time.  There are so many spectacular things to see.  Treat yourself to several days in Reyjakvik, but be WRe that if you book a hotel near the airport many tour companies will not take you all the way home as it’s very far from town.  

Thank you so much for responding. We plan on staying at least two days. My husband wants to dive the fissure. I have heard its expensive thats why we booked a year out. We are wanting to do as much as we can. How is the food?

11 hours ago, thinblueline28 said:

Thank you so much for responding. We plan on staying at least two days. My husband wants to dive the fissure. I have heard its expensive thats why we booked a year out. We are wanting to do as much as we can. How is the food?

The food was wonderful.  Lots of fish and seafood,also lamb.

18 hours ago, thinblueline28 said:

Portsmouth UK to Rey

We are at sea for only one day. It has so many stops. How awesome it would be to just leave from home. I used to do that when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale. I was always cruising the Caribbean. You should check it our. There's a lot of specials right now. 

We are booked on NCL Getaway this May for Caribbean, we have done quite a few before Covid . 

• 1 year later...

Well, if it sails from Southampton instead that's an improvement. I was considering a Portsmouth sailoff cruise as one of a couple of options. When listing pros and cons Portsmouth was a con for me. Not a big one, but still. Southampton is way more convenient for me (easy to get to from Gatwick, budget hotels within walking distance of both train station and cruise terminal). But NCL still lists Portsmouth as departure port for both May 8-18 and May 18-30..

On 2/20/2023 at 10:57 PM, thinblueline28 said:

We sailed from Southampton a year or so ago on a Celebrity cruise, but chose to stay a few days pre cruise in Portsmouth , as it’s such a great place to stay. I’d strongly suggest a visit to the historical naval dockyard.So many things of real historical importance to see, particularly Nelson’s old flagship HMS Victory which remains a commissioned British warship manned by HM sailors…Honestly it’s a great day out down there, and the old town of Pompey is a most interesting place with some great old pubs serving good food too. Enjoy x