Semi-Live Getaway: Feb 26 - Mar 10, 2023 NY - So. Caribbean ... 12 nights

PistolPete13

@mking8288when using the Windy app, do you ever select to see the waves?

It's very nice out here in Bermuda - bright sunshine, but the sea between here and New York is gonna be very very rough tomorrow and there is no chance for the ship to circumvent (by going west and then north) the area and be able to get into New York in time.

So far this year Getaway has been 0-3 in coming to Bermuda and Gem has been 3-4. One other ship, AIDAbella, popped in last week enroute back to Europe from Caribbean.

• Like 1

@bluesea777  Yes, I do - it's an extra 2 clicks, look at both waves, wind and swell.  Bermuda - I like the local maritime forecast (BWS portal) details, conditions inside the coral reef (that narrow ship channel thru St. George, loop around the north shores before reaching Dockyard & back up when departing) and outside / that's the North Atlantic ...  Truly missed the small Norwegian Crown as we docked first in SG and down next morning in Hamilton, right on Front Street with Habour Festival, oh the old days.  

We have a call on Dockyard coming up this year ... going to be an interesting one, we shall see then 😉

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Oh hey, I just looked at the deck plans and my inside room on deck 5 is right under the gateway theater stage.  This should be interesting...

Wrapped up a quiet day at work.  All email notices set for out of office.  I think I'll go packing my camera bag now...

• Like 6

Alright, a shameless bump of this thread to get it back up to the top.

12 hours to go before I'm out of the house and on my way!  Doesn't quite feel real to me yet for some reason.  Two printed copies of my eDocs in different bags and the PDF files downloaded to my laptop and phone.

Made my first Amazon Kindle book purchase ever.  I know there is a library on board but I'm not sure how large the selection will be.  I do remember the Bliss having a good sized library back in 2020 though.

Lot's of little things all packed up made worse by the camera gear and accessories I have.  Humm, just remembered I need to check if I have the mount adapter for the GoPro!

I'll see you all in the morning!

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Alright, a shameless bump of this thread to get it back up to the top.

12 hours to go before I'm out of the house and on my way!  Doesn't quite feel real to me yet for some reason.  Two printed copies of my eDocs in different bags and the PDF files downloaded to my laptop and phone.

Made my first Amazon Kindle book purchase ever.  I know there is a library on board but I'm not sure how large the selection will be.  I do remember the Bliss having a good sized library back in 2020 though.

Lot's of little things all packed up made worse by the camera gear and accessories I have.  Humm, just remembered I need to check if I have the mount adapter for the GoPro!

I'll see you all in the morning!

I am so jealous!! I am also looking forward to your review and photos. Three inches of snow today at my house in Massachusetts. Wish I was headed to St. Thomas 🌴🛳️ Bon voyage.

• Like 1

Looking forward to your reports @PistolPete13  

Nancy and I finished up 17 days onboard last Saturday. My one piece of advice to you is to make sure you pull or push your door shut all the way until it clicks. Our door needed a little extra force to close, and one night we did not pull it all the way, and we ended up with a highly inebriated passenger standing in our bedroom at 4:50AM.

Have a great time.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

On 2/22/2023 at 7:25 PM, PistolPete13 said:

I've printed out 3 hard copies of everything and I'm ready for anything on embarkation day Sunday after this ordeal. 

That sounds like a throwdown challenge to the NCL demons! 🙂 🙂 

Hope all goes well this morning.  Enjoy your cruise.  Looking forward to following along.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/24/2023 at 1:35 PM, mking8288 said:

@bluesea777  Yes, I do - it's an extra 2 clicks, look at both waves, wind and swell.  Bermuda - I like the local maritime forecast (BWS portal) details, conditions inside the coral reef (that narrow ship channel thru St. George, loop around the north shores before reaching Dockyard & back up when departing) and outside / that's the North Atlantic ...  Truly missed the small Norwegian Crown as we docked first in SG and down next morning in Hamilton, right on Front Street with Habour Festival, oh the old days.  

We have a call on Dockyard coming up this year ... going to be an interesting one, we shall see then 😉

Aloha. Have sailed to Bermuda countless times since the 1970s but only in July as that is the best chance of good weather and water. We used to fly for a long Memorial Day weekend annually when our daughter was younger in the 1990s as the water and weather was perfect. Food was great and their Bermuda fish sauce is spectacular but now I can buy it in local stores.  The people are great but in Hamilton, front street has become sad in a way because the ships rarely dock there.  They are too big now.  Our go to hotel was the Southampton Princess with a shuttle to downtown but the beach was spectacular.  The dockyards and St. George are nice but things have changed.  

• Like 1

The lack of ability to edit posts after a few minutes is really annoying.  Folks better be prepared to read between the lines!

I’m in a technical field for my day job and my writing normally consists of the equivalent of grunts and snorts. My brain often moves onto the next subject before I’ve finished typing. 

the issue is compounded while on a tiny phone !

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

9:30am and all checked in. Boarding group 13. Sitting and waiting now using the cruise terminal Wi-Fi. 

2 security checkers and 4 metal detectors are running. This poor lady in front of me dumped all her stuff on the conveyor belt before telling the attendant she has a pacemaker.  This meant she had to come out of the area to another section to be hand scanned.  Meanwhile her stuff is all on the other side. Keep this in mind folks!

I think that huge group this morning was due to me getting there just as the line started to move.  By the time I got to the metal detectors the area had emptied out a lot. 

Not many kids on this trip spotted so far. Not surprising. I would’ve needed to be in the emergency room before my parents would give me a sick day when I was in school. 

oh yeah, a guy in the line waiting for security let out a long and loud fart.  Would a Celebrity or Royal Caribbean passenger do that?  Humm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

I dragged my bags from 6th avenue and 49th street all the way to 12th ave.

The crosstown M50 bus runs only once and hour this early on a Sunday and it showed 44 mins until the next bus.  No thanks for standing in this cold. 

Had a feeling….

Hope your walk through Hell’s Kitchen was uneventful.

• Thanks 1

Humm.  Found out on the other group that St. Maarten added and St. Kitts dropped.  All St. Kitts excursions cancelled.  Grrrr. 

DR stop is in Amber Cove.  

Looks like I’ll be getting a lot of cash back with two excursions cancelled now. 

I wonder if the photo of the schedule change is from B2B passenger on board.  Nothing was said or given to me at checkin. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Humm.  Found out on the other group that St. Maarten added and St. Kitts dropped.  All St. Kitts excursions cancelled.  Grrrr. 

DR stop is in Amber Cove.  

Looks like I’ll be getting a lot of cash back with two excursions cancelled now. 

I wonder if the photo of the schedule change is from B2B passenger on board.  Nothing was said or given to me at checkin. 

Depending on the excursion, it is possible you might keep the DR excursion as the two ports are not far from each other. 

Just connected to the ship WiFi to confirm changes.  

No excursions listed for St. Maarten. Hopefully they’ll have something later. 

Rolling with it!  At least it’s not an extra sea day, so far…

And yes, this is the current map on the app.  My geography isn’t great but even I know that ain’t it!!  Or is it…

A709DC0D-6AFF-4328-B851-0978160964F3.png

26542CF7-A4F3-4A46-B71D-7CFE7AF65BEA.png

• Like 3