How to get from Seydisfjordur cruise terminal to Voks baths

cruisinqt

We are interested in doing the Voks baths while in Seydisfjordur. We can’t find any local tours that do just the baths. We wouldn’t mind doing just a little bit of sightseeing before the baths but our main interest is the baths. And we haven’t found any tour operators offering what we are looking for from the cruise port. Most of the tours we are seeing are for hotel guests and are quite lengthy. So we are thinking about just going straight there from the cruise port ourselves. I imagine a taxi would be expensive and I doubt they offer Uber. I’ve heard there’s a bus but I can’t find any info on it. What would be the best way to get there? Or do you know of a local tour offering this for cruisers from the pier?

I saw your post in your other thread and was going to tell you that the Vok [note the spelling] Baths looked pretty interesting from the Trip Advisor reviews and other info I could see.  In terms of getting there from Seydisfjordur, apart from the question you asked here, why not email the Baths themselves and see if they may be able to give you some information.  No downside to asking.

Their contact info:

hello@vokbaths.is

Note that their FAQ say this:

"What is the best way to get to Vök Baths?

For those who are not by car we recommend  taxi service by Ásgrímur, tel +3548984044 or email asgrimtaxi@gmail.com"

(of course, that may be from Egilsstaðir)

https://vokbaths.is/hopabokanir/

Also, especially regarding the bus info, you could email the Information Center in Seydisfjordur:

info@sfk.is

https://visitseydisfjordur.com/

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I saw your post in your other thread and was going to tell you that the Vok [note the spelling] Baths looked pretty interesting from the Trip Advisor reviews and other info I could see.  In terms of getting there from Seydisfjordur, apart from the question you asked here, why not email the Baths themselves and see if they may be able to give you some information.  No downside to asking.

Their contact info:

hello@vokbaths.is

Note that their FAQ say this:

"What is the best way to get to Vök Baths?

For those who are not by car we recommend  taxi service by Ásgrímur, tel +3548984044 or email asgrimtaxi@gmail.com"

(of course, that may be from Egilsstaðir)

https://vokbaths.is/hopabokanir/

Also, especially regarding the bus info, you could email the Information Center in Seydisfjordur:

info@sfk.is

https://visitseydisfjordur.com/

I went to their website and it seems really nice. I also looked at the TripAdvisor reviews for them and it reinforced my desire to go there. They have a restaurant, changing rooms, bathrooms, a tea bar, an in water refreshment bar, and a sauna. I noticed their “how to get there” page too but it was for Egilsstadir. I’ve emailed them but haven’t heard a response back yet. Thanks for Information Center address I’ll contact them, I didn’t think of doing that. You obviously put a lot of effort into helping me and I appreciate it.

I was just hoping some other cruiser might have visited there themselves and could give some insight on how they did it. Or maybe someone did a tour there through a local company they could recommend. Our ship has a tour going there but it’s quite expensive and our family of four would cost over $1100. Thanks again 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

You obviously put a lot of effort into helping me and I appreciate it.

My pleasure. 

I hope you make it to Seydisfjordur.  We were scheduled for a port call there in summer 2018, but weather prevented it. I was very disappointed, as we are huge fans of the Icelandic TV series “Trapped” (available on Netflix).  The first (and best) season takes place primarily in, and was filmed in, Seydisfjordur, and we were really looking forward to seeing it in person.  Of course, those are the risks that come with cruising. 

Good luck!

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

My pleasure. 

I hope you make it to Seydisfjordur.  We were scheduled for a port call there in summer 2018, but weather prevented it. I was very disappointed, as we are huge fans of the Icelandic TV series “Trapped” (available on Netflix).  The first (and best) season takes place primarily in, and was filmed in, Seydisfjordur, and we were really looking forward to seeing it in person.  Of course, those are the risks that come with cruising. 

Good luck!

Oh wow I had no idea there was a Netflix series based in Iceland, I’ll have to check it out. I need something to download and watch for our upcoming cruise so I think I’ll download it. Thanks again for your help. 

So I went to the Vok baths website and contacted them about the best way to get there from Seydisfjordur. They gave me a couple of taxi services to contact. One of them responded promptly and was very nice. I’ve secured a taxi service for the day we are in port for only $50 round trip. I can’t believe how inexpensive it is! 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 7:53 PM, cruisinqt said:

So I went to the Vok baths website and contacted them about the best way to get there from Seydisfjordur. They gave me a couple of taxi services to contact. One of them responded promptly and was very nice. I’ve secured a taxi service for the day we are in port for only $50 round trip. I can’t believe how inexpensive it is! 

I've been on the same quest for the last month or so, and just sorted it out, possibly with the same taxi driver you have.  Coincidentally, I posted something about this on CC on the same evening you did (see below).  On what day will you be at Vok?   And was the $50 price you mentioned a total price for all passengers round trip, or a price per passenger?  Thanks in advance for your reply.

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I've been on the same quest for the last month or so, and just sorted it out, possibly with the same taxi driver you have.  Coincidentally, I posted something about this on CC on the same evening you did (see below).  On what day will you be at Vok?   And was the $50 price you mentioned a total price for all passengers round trip, or a price per passenger?  Thanks in advance for your reply.

We will be in Seydisfjordur on 8/28. The price was for our family of 4 round trip from the cruise pier at Seydisfjordur to Vok baths and back to the cruise pier at Seydisfjordur. In the first email I asked what they charged for a roundtrip for a family of 4. In the next email they asked me what day we would be arriving. I said 8/28. They replied that it would be $50 total for all 4 people. I emailed them back asking to reserve that day. At that point I assumed it was all handled and arranged since they’d been emailing me very promptly and even gave me a price quote. But I’ve not heard from them since then and I sent the email Saturday. I’m a little disappointed that they didn’t follow through and confirm the reservation promptly. Their name was Hlynur Bragason. Vok baths gave me several names so now I’m contemplating contacting one of the other people on the list. I know it’s pretty far out and they may not want to commit themselves this early. But there’s not a lot of transportation choices to choose from in Seydisfjordur and I’d like to get mine confirmed now. 

3 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

Vok baths gave me several names so now I’m contemplating contacting one of the other people on the list.

That might be a good idea.  And thanks for your quick reply!

The price I was quoted for June 8 was a lot higher than $50 USD round trip total.  I've read that $100 USD each way is what one might expect to pay, so I wasn't shocked when I got the quote I did.  Iceland is a very expensive country.  It's good that you will reach out to contact other taxis recommended by Vok as a backup.   And maybe I will contact Hlynur Bragason to see whether I too can get round-trip transportation for $50 total for June 8.  Sounds too good to be true, but sometimes things are good AND they're true!

15 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

That might be a good idea.  And thanks for your quick reply!

The price I was quoted for June 8 was a lot higher than $50 USD round trip total.  I've read that $100 USD each way is what one might expect to pay, so I wasn't shocked when I got the quote I did.  Iceland is a very expensive country.  It's good that you will reach out to contact other taxis recommended by Vok as a backup.   And maybe I will contact Hlynur Bragason to see whether I too can get round-trip transportation for $50 total for June 8.  Sounds too good to be true, but sometimes things are good AND they're true!

I think English isn’t their first language and there may be a misunderstanding. I asked if they meant $50 each way and they said no $50 total. But after talking to my husband he says they probably meant 50 Icelandic Krona which would convert to roughly $348 US dollars. And that would be more in line with the price you were quoted. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2023 at 7:53 PM, cruisinqt said:

Can you please share the names of the taxi services? I’d like to contact them for our day in port in July. Thanks!

5 hours ago, CruisieQ said:

Can you please share the names of the taxi services? I’d like to contact them for our day in port in July. Thanks!

Just to clarify, in my original post the guy quoted me 50.00 Icelandic Krona not $50 USD so it would be $348 USD. I did find a better deal with a different driver though. Vok baths gave me several taxi services to email. The one I used was asgrims taxi service for 150 euros round trip which is a lot better deal. They responded right away and gave a better price. Their email is: asgrimstaxi@gmail.com

Vok baths also gave me these other taxi services emails to contact:

hylnur@saeti.is

taxi@mjamja.is

helgig.taxi@gmail.com

I hope this helps. 

Edited by cruisinqt
Grammatical

On 4/10/2023 at 10:53 PM, cruisinqt said:

Just to clarify, in my original post the guy quoted me 50.00 Icelandic Krona not $50 USD so it would be $348 USD. I did find a better deal with a different driver though. Vok baths gave me several taxi services to email. The one I used was asgrims taxi service for 150 euros round trip which is a lot better deal. They responded right away and gave a better price. Their email is: asgrimstaxi@gmail.com

hylnur@saeti.is

taxi@mjamja.is

helgig.taxi@gmail.com

I hope this helps. 

This math doesn't work.  5000 ISK is around $37. 50,000 ISK would be around $370 using current conversion rates.  And they use . instead of , so it would look like 50.000 ISK for Fifty Thousand Icelandic Krona

9 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

This math doesn't work.  5000 ISK is around $37. 50,000 ISK would be around $370 using current conversion rates.  And they use . instead of , so it would look like 50.000 ISK for Fifty Thousand Icelandic Krona

He just put 50 in the email where he quoted me (evidently they often abbreviate it like that in Iceland). It didn’t say USD or ISK. So I just assumed it was $50. But after emailing back and forth it was made clear he meant 50.000 ISK which was converted to $348 at that time using my converter. But that was over a month ago and the conversion rates fluctuate so I’m sure it’s a different price now. I didn’t go look up the current conversion I just put the amounts I had down in my notes from that time. 

Edited by cruisinqt

Just now, cruisinqt said:

He just put 50 in the email where he quoted me (evidently they often abbreviate it like that in Iceland). It didn’t say USD or ISK. So I just assumed it was $50. But after emailing back and forth it was made clear he meant 50,000 ISK which was converted to $348 at that time using my converter. But that was over a month ago and the conversion rates fluctuate so I’m sure it’s a different price now. I didn’t go look up the current conversion I just put the amounts I had down in my notes from that time. 

I've never had a provider give a quote like that in 5 visits to Iceland, but that price sounds much more Iceland-like than $35 would be.

2 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I've never had a provider give a quote like that in 5 visits to Iceland, but that price sounds much more Iceland-like than $35 would be.

Yeah when I saw the quote for 50 I was ecstatic it sounded too good to be true and unfortunately it was. I felt like $348 for round trip transportation to a place only 30 minutes away was pretty steep. Then Asgrims taxi service quoted me 150 euros which was much better so I chose them. Plus he emailed me back immediately every time I had a question. The other place took forever to respond. And after all of the arrangements were handled and finished he emailed me again to remind me to make reservations at Vok baths since they fill up quickly. I’m confident I’ll have a good experience with him. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2023 at 10:53 AM, cruisinqt said:

Hi, what taxi service replied and how did you contact them? I am trying to contact taxis to take us from the port Seydisfjordur to the Baths but have not had any luck. We are in Seydisfjordur on 19 August 2023. Look forward to your reply. Thanks.

23 hours ago, kshie2 said:

Hi, what taxi service replied and how did you contact them? I am trying to contact taxis to take us from the port Seydisfjordur to the Baths but have not had any luck. We are in Seydisfjordur on 19 August 2023. Look forward to your reply. Thanks.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I’m on an Alaskan cruise right now and I haven’t been able to check my notifications lately. Fortunately I had some down time with a late port arrival tomorrow. I’ll be in Sedisfjordur the week after you so maybe the guy I’m using will available for you. His name is Asi and he’s a local that does this for a living. He was recommended by Vok baths when I asked who could give me a ride there. Here’s his email:

asgrimstaxi@gmail.com

On 5/23/2023 at 11:15 AM, SirronGirl said:

Any current updates on this?  I'd like to hire a taxi for my cruise day this June 15, 2023 to Vok Bath. 

This is the guy I booked. He was recommended to me by Vok baths when I asked who they could recommend that would give me a ride there. He responded quickly to all of my emails. He quoted me $150 euros round trip for my family of four. His name is Asi and this is his email:
asgrimstaxi@gmail.com

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 5:35 PM, cruisinqt said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I’m on an Alaskan cruise right now and I haven’t been able to check my notifications lately. Fortunately I had some down time with a late port arrival tomorrow. I’ll be in Sedisfjordur the week after you so maybe the guy I’m using will available for you. His name is Asi and he’s a local that does this for a living. He was recommended by Vok baths when I asked who could give me a ride there. Here’s his email:

asgrimstaxi@gmail.com

Thank you SO much for that information. I have been able to contact Asi and he responded prompty. He has requested numbers. As it is only my husband and myself at the moment, I am hoping others will join us on this trip. I have put out a call but no answers as yet.

7 hours ago, kshie2 said:

Thank you SO much for that information. I have been able to contact Asi and he responded prompty. He has requested numbers. As it is only my husband and myself at the moment, I am hoping others will join us on this trip. I have put out a call but no answers as yet.

I was talking to a guy on our whale watching tour that visits Europe regularly. And he said he goes to TripAdvisor to find all of his transportation. In the search box he said he puts “transportation to Vok baths” or “transportation from Heathrow to London” and all of the ride services in the area pops up. They’re rated and have reviews you can read. He said it’s the most reliable way to find transportation in Europe. So if Asi can’t take a smaller group then you might try the TripAdvisor thing. 

11 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

I was talking to a guy on our whale watching tour that visits Europe regularly. And he said he goes to TripAdvisor to find all of his transportation. In the search box he said he puts “transportation to Vok baths” or “transportation from Heathrow to London” and all of the ride services in the area pops up. They’re rated and have reviews you can read. He said it’s the most reliable way to find transportation in Europe. So if Asi can’t take a smaller group then you might try the TripAdvisor thing. 

Once again, thank you for your help. I have now booked Asi for 170 Euro for 2 persons and have booked the Vok Baths as well. All sorted. Loooking forward to our Viking Cruise, very excited.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 10:48 PM, kshie2 said:

Once again, thank you for your help. I have now booked Asi for 170 Euro for 2 persons and have booked the Vok Baths as well. All sorted. Loooking forward to our Viking Cruise, very excited.

I’m glad it worked out for you. Let me know how you like him. I won’t be using him till August 

On 4/11/2023 at 6:53 AM, cruisinqt said:

hylnur@saeti.is

taxi@mjamja.is

helgig.taxi@gmail.com

I hope this helps. 

Hi cruisinqt, 

I am looking at trying to arrange the same thing for our family if 4 on the same date (carnival pride from Dover 20th August 2023).

Thanks for doing all the leg work to find a list of taxi companies for me to try 😂

(I wonder if we could get enough people together to hire a minibus and make it even cheaper 🤔)

M.