Quantum balcony cabin categories please explain

barb in ga

We have 4 balcony cabins booked for our May 29 Alaska cruise. 2 cabins are 2D with 2 people each and the other 2 cabins are 5D for 3 people each.

I did a mock booking to check for price drop and saved $600/cabin  on the  2 5D. The 2D cabins come out slightly more. We booked all of these while on Symphony last fall. There are quite a few 1D, 3D, and 5D cabins offered for 2 people when I do a mock booking, all of them between $500-$600 less for a 2 person booking than my 2D. I really don't want to switch my cabin, as we're located midship 4 in a row. I'm just confused and trying to comprehend the differences between the sub categories.

I looked on Royal's website at deckplans, and can't find 5D cabins even listed. Why should a 5D cabin cost less for 2 people than a 2D? I thought cabins that hold 3 people weren't usually available for just 2 people.

Thanks for any enlightenment...

Barb

Lower numbers indicate better location. Odd indicates 3 or more beds. Even indicates holds only 2.

A 2d is considered a better location than a 5d. 

Perhaps they didnt have a lot of families book. So it's close to final payment and they opened the other cabins now to 2 pax. 

@Ourusualbeachexplains better. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, barb in ga said:

Why should a 5D cabin cost less for 2 people than a 2D?

Supply and demand. On Q class, it's not that rare to find insides costing more than a balcony GTY closer to sailing.

Edited by Biker19