"Live" Sapphire Princess, 32 Days, Buenos Aires to LA, 3/5/23 to 4/6/23

LACruiser88

Thank you for your informative post.  We’re hoping to do this next year so it’s helping me plan.

As a matter of interest did they take your wine away until the end of the cruise?

Thanks again for all the information.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tracyken said:

Thank you for your informative post.  We’re hoping to do this next year so it’s helping me plan.

As a matter of interest did they take your wine away until the end of the cruise?

Thanks again for all the information.

There has been no "wine police" anywhere.  They do not seem to care and our MDR servers were happy to open our wine at dinner with no mention of the corkage fee.  I see a nice tip coming their way!  🍷🙂

• Like 7

Ship is in good condition for an oldie. As mentioned, going to dry dock in April

We ate in Sterling last night. While it's location is horrible, we sat at the back and didn't feel we were in the OV cafe. Food was good. 

Food on ship overall has been good. We were on Sky? In August and Food was inedible

• Like 1

23 hours ago, loge23 said:

Looking forward to a wine update!

Here are some photos of the mini-Vines onboard.  If I'm not mistaken the original Vines on the Sapphire was located where they currently have Alfredo's Pizzeria?  We have not been on the Sapphire since 2012.

The current Vines is next to Alfredo's.  There is no "bar" area, wines are served from a built-in buffet and the seating area is not very big.

We were lucky that we have known the server in Vines, "Red," for many years.  He is an extremely funny guy!

So far our go to wines have been Spellbound Petite Syrah and the Spanish Embruix Red Blend.  The nicer, higher end wines are not being ordered and most have been opened for several days, no bueno!

20230307_164448.jpg

20230307_164440.jpg

20230307_164458.jpg

20230307_164336.jpg

20230307_165622.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

There has been no "wine police" anywhere.  They do not seem to care and our MDR servers were happy to open our wine at dinner with no mention of the corkage fee.  I see a nice tip coming their way!  🍷🙂

Thank you.  I don’t mind paying for the package but I only drink wine and the last cruise had the most horrible selection in the standard package and as this is £100 per day between you it’s a significant cost.  I’m not a connoisseur but the wine they were serving is 2 bottles for £10 in U.K. supermarkets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

As far as you know, they aren't squirting in any inert gas to preserve the wine at all?

No gas, they are just pumping the air out.  That helps but not much.  They really should invest in Corvin's, but I don't see that happening.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, suekel said:

So just for fun, I ordered a bottle of Crown Royal for our cabin (There hasn't been any on my last 3 cruises).  Have you seen any on the ship?

I was told by our favorite bartender that they have not had Crown Royal onboard for quite some time.  They are hoping for a big resupply when they reach LA.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

They are hoping for a big resupply when they reach LA.

After returning to San Pedro, there is only a 6-day west coast sailing ending in Vancouver, followed by a 17 day dry dock break. I think the big resupply will be in Vancouver for the upcoming Alaska season April 29.

By the way, is the wine refrigerator at Vines Bar repaired?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I was told by our favorite bartender that they have not had Crown Royal onboard for quite some time.  They are hoping for a big resupply when they reach LA.

Well, I guess I'll get a refund in OBC  at some point..

• Like 2

We saw our first penguins today swimming right off the pier while we were walking back to the ship!

We also saw one walking down the street!  And my purchase of the day, three really nice Malbec's (total of $40 USD)!

20230309_122057.jpg

20230309_122112.jpg

20230309_122114.jpg

20230309_122048.jpg

20230309_120650.jpg

20230309_134926.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We saw our first penguins today swimming right off the pier while we were walking back to the ship!

We also saw one walking down the street!  And my purchase of the day, three really nice Malbec's (total of $40 USD)!

20230309_120650.jpg

Looks a bit stiff.  Perhaps weather not to his liking?

• Haha 2