"Live" Sapphire Princess, 32 Days, Buenos Aires to LA, 3/5/23 to 4/6/23

LACruiser88

We had a fantastic day today in Ushuaia!  The weather was perfect, sunny and no wind!  We went to the supermarket (at the far end of town) bought potato chips and two more really nice Malbecs.

After shopping for a couple of t-shirts for our granddaughter, we returned to the same restaurant where we had lunch back in 2011.  It did not disappoint. 

We had langostino empanadas for an appetizer and then shared a mixed seafood platter of sardines, mussels, scallops, octopus, shrimp, and calamari.  Half were fried and the other half were grilled.  And of course we shared a bottle of Malbec!

20230313_094129.jpg

20230313_094132.jpg

20230313_095015.jpg

20230313_095024.jpg

20230313_094619.jpg

20230313_100045.jpg

20230313_100145.jpg

20230313_101128.jpg

20230313_101557.jpg

20230313_101717.jpg

20230313_102655.jpg

20230313_102751.jpg

20230313_095355.jpg

20230313_122340.jpg

20230313_124049.jpg

20230313_124031.jpg

20230313_132946.jpg

• Like 13

We made it to Lima due to all the flights being delayed.  Our luggage decided to spend the night in Atlanta.  We met our tour guides and they seem great.  One spoke with Delta and the man at Delta in charge of lost luggage says he we'll will personally find it and put it on our flight to Cusco. Every morning is a really early morning so it'll be nice to get to the ship and sleep in! Looking forward to starting this adventure tomorrow. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, suekel said:

We made it to Lima due to all the flights being delayed.  Our luggage decided to spend the night in Atlanta.  We met our tour guides and they seem great.  One spoke with Delta and the man at Delta in charge of lost luggage says he we'll will personally find it and put it on our flight to Cusco. Every morning is a really early morning so it'll be nice to get to the ship and sleep in! Looking forward to starting this adventure tomorrow. 

Prepare yourself for the effects you can expect in Cusco due to the high altitude. It’s manageable but just recognize what your body may be telling you as you move about and why. 
At 11,500 ft it’s the highest commercial airport in the world if I’m not mistaken and you will feel it with the simplest activity. Surprisingly Machu Picchu will be less so as it’s about 8,500 as I recall. 
On the good side both places are amazing and well worth the impact it may have on you. 

1 hour ago, gottagocit said:

Prepare yourself for the effects you can expect in Cusco due to the high altitude. It’s manageable but just recognize what your body may be telling you as you move about and why. 
At 11,500 ft it’s the highest commercial airport in the world if I’m not mistaken and you will feel it with the simplest activity. Surprisingly Machu Picchu will be less so as it’s about 8,500 as I recall. 
On the good side both places are amazing and well worth the impact it may have on you. 

We spent a week skiing at Copper Mountain last month.  Elevation at the bottom in 9000, top 1200. Did fine but I'm expecting some shortness of breath. As an FYI,  Bolivia,  not sure if it's LA Paz or Sucre is at 13000. My dad said it was tough. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, suekel said:

We spent a week skiing at Copper Mountain last month.  Elevation at the bottom in 9000, top 1200. Did fine but I'm expecting some shortness of breath. As an FYI,  Bolivia,  not sure if it's LA Paz or Sucre is at 13000. My dad said it was tough. 

Sounds like you won’t have much of a problem with it if you’ve skied at those elevations. Have a wonderful trip! 

• Like 2

We are now anchored in Puntarenas (Chile) and the weather looks ominous.  The Captain just announced that the swells are too rough for tendering and he will reevaluate the situation as the day progresses.

We are scheduled to stay anchored until 7:30 pm.  

20230314_082504.jpg

• Like 3

It's official, the Captain just canceled our stop in Puntarenas due to the weather.  As soon as we board some new crew members that are waiting on the dock we will leave. 

We will head out early for our viewing of the Amalia Glacier tomorrow.

Btw, just before dark last night we cruised by the 5 glaciers in Glacier Alley, spectacular!  The Chilean Fjords are beautiful.

• Like 7

Really enjoying your blog.  We did the exact same itinerary a few years ago on the Star. One of our favourite cruises. Especially the Patrick watts tour on the Falklands. One of my life highlights.  We did Machu Piccu as a separate trip a 3 months previously.    Worked out much cheaper than a ships tour and spent a week in the sacred valley acclimatizing.  I also loved the Chilean glaciers way more than Alaska   
Thank you for taking the time to post 

• Like 1

LAcruiser 88....as usual, this is OUTSTANDING report!.... we have been traveling and just found your current cruise experience  ....

we were on the regal transatlantic with you last fall and picked up GREAT  tips and advice from you as you were on a  the prior 2 cruises before the transatlantic...

Sitting here in Paris with our 8 year old granddaughter (spring break from school) , and I checked this site.....she and I have just read all 8 pages of your adventure so far....most enjoyable....thank you!

not for nuthin, but we are taking the Regal back to Europe from FLL next month.

have a safe and memorable remainder of your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see that Danny Rembadi is onboard! Danny's terrific - his sing-a-longs are a lot of fun and he can play a terrific Spanish-style guitar as well.

One of my all-time favorites of cruise ship performers!

Great to see he's back! 

Have fun!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, loge23 said:

I see that Danny Rembadi is onboard! Danny's terrific - his sing-a-longs are a lot of fun and he can play a terrific Spanish-style guitar as well.

One of my all-time favorites of cruise ship performers!

Great to see he's back! 

Have fun!

Danny is fantastic! He is one of the best guitarist/vocalist we have seen on a cruise ship.  He has been playing in the Wheelhouse most nights.  He sat with us during his break last night, very interesting background.

• Like 3