Live from Sky Princess 25 February

_rusty_shackleford

On 2/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, _rusty_shackleford said:

assistant server told us the only wines we could get in the dining room were the Plus options 

Are the only wines available in the MDR the ones on the app?  Sometimes I enjoy a light wine like a White Zinfindel or a Rose; however, all the photos I've seen of the app choices don't offer either.  Do you see any?  Thank you for any info...we're on the Sky in May.  Enjoy your sailing!

Just now, shirazcruiser said:

Are the only wines available in the MDR the ones on the app?  Sometimes I enjoy a light wine like a White Zinfindel or a Rose; however, all the photos I've seen of the app choices don't offer either.  Do you see any?  Thank you for any info...we're on the Sky in May.  Enjoy your sailing!

There is a multi page wine list by glass and bottle. If you have the plus package you can order bottles at a 25% discount

Just now, shirazcruiser said:

Thanks, but I'm only interested in the wine by the glass that comes with the package.  

Then you are limited to glasses $15 and under and will probably have few options 

21 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Probably. I seem to recall a rose being available but honestly the bar service is so slow in the MDR you'd be much better off stopping at Vines or any other friendly neighborhood bar to get a glass (or two) to take to dinner.

• Like 1

Are you currently sailing on Sky and if so could you look at the app?  Thanks!  I don't mind stopping off at Vines, but when I want a 2nd glass do I have to inconvenience myself and run out to Vines?  I am definitely not looking to the app...it seems ridiculous that you can't order a glass of wine from your waiter. 

Edited by shirazcruiser

22 minutes ago, cyndyga said:

Or order the more expensive choice and pay the difference...thats my plan,

OP advised "assistant server told us the only wines we could get in the dining room were the Plus options (refused to bring anything else even when I said I'd pay the difference)." I don't mind paying the difference, but that doesn't appear to be an option in the MDR.  We'll be in Club Class and maybe they will be more flexible. 

12 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Are you currently sailing on Sky and if so could you look at the app?  Thanks!  I don't mind stopping off at Vines, but when I want a 2nd glass do I have to inconvenience myself and run out to Vines?  I am definitely not looking to the app...it seems ridiculous that you can't order a glass of wine from your waiter. 

MDR Plus and Premier. No guarantees they have all of these. They told me no for a Premier chardonnay but I'm still not sure if that's because the new staff didn't understand what I was looking for or not.

8E86BE22-67F1-432F-A983-515184E988EB.png

472E325B-17B5-4936-BCB1-DA2372FE12EA.png

B953B3CF-82E9-48FB-82C6-242BBFE2510C.png

14 minutes ago, _rusty_shackleford said:

MDR Plus and Premier. No guarantees they have all of these. They told me no for a Premier chardonnay but I'm still not sure if that's because the new staff didn't understand what I was looking for or not.

Thank you - it's surprising that there is no White Zinfindel since it's usually one of the cheapest wines and no Rose. 

Edited by shirazcruiser

3 minutes ago, _rusty_shackleford said:

If I see any at any bars I'll let you know but I don't recall seeing any thus far.

Thank you!  And that was so kind of you to take photos of the app selection!

Edited by shirazcruiser

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

Thank you - it's surprising that there is no White Zinfindel since it's usually one of the cheapest wines and no Rose. 

I see a Rose in the listing above your comment. It is from Chile 

On 2/27/2023 at 7:16 AM, lx200gps said:

I think finding bread mold in the onion soup in the CG

Uh, If that is the Black and Blue Onion Soup you had, the mold you encountered was from the Roquefort Cheese.  I have a wedge of Roquefort in my fridge right now, usually for putting on a cheese board at home or making salad dressing, but it has heavy mold veins in it, similar to, but in greater quantity than a number of blue cheeses.  The "bread mold" you had in the soup was unlikely to be from bread, but from the cheese.  The mold from Roquefort leans green in color, whereas blue cheese mold is generally a very dark blue.  I could see how Roquefort mold could be mistaken for bread mold based on color alone.

• Like 3

On 2/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, _rusty_shackleford said:

Bonus picture of MDR breakfast this morning. I had fruit and asked for sides of bacon, hash browns, and sausage. Here's my plate of "sides". You may notice the surplus of bacon which I have named Swine Mountain. To think just 5 months ago bacon was rationed and the tongs were behind the buffet. For the record I was expecting and would have been perfectly happy with 2-3 pieces of bacon.

6B618820-9D59-4376-8149-C57D1CFAE8E5.jpeg

The hash browns aren't quite what I'd put up for myself on the Blackstone, or what would be served in any restaurant I live near.  They remind me of the potato cakes that Arby's used to offer.  I sure to miss Arby's potato cakes.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:28 AM, _rusty_shackleford said:

Here's the officer staff board in case anyone is interested.

Didn't end up in the dining room last night. Combination of going scuba diving and the late lunch that comes with the territory. Last night was tacos and fajitas made to order in the buffet. Chicken fajitas were ok, skip the steak in my opinion. Didn't have any of the tacos but they looked pretty appealing.

Pretty uneventful day in Roatan today. We're the only ship in Mahogany Bay but we decided not to dive today and neither of us are terribly interested in the tourist compound here. If anyone has recommendations of restaurants outside of the trap we'd be happy to explore those next time.

Diving in Cozumel was nice yesterday as always. We went with Maple Leaf Scuba this time due to arrival time and they were a good outfit. Before this we had exclusively used Dive With Martin and I'd strongly recommend them to any divers out there if you can make their early departure times work or have enough divers to do a private charter. Great DMs, safe, and extremely observant underwater for wildlife. Maple Leaf was good too and kind enough to let us hitch a ride back to their shop in their group's cab so we could hit Cerveceria Punta Sur a couple of blocks away. Great guac and ceviche. Beers weren't bad either.

We don't have any excursions planned today or tomorrow in Belize so if anyone has any info requests let me know and I'll do my best to fulfill them.

597A4629-05A4-4B7F-8E28-272446C8CA63.jpeg

I follow the Captain on Instagram.  Seems like a nice guy.  I stumbled upon him when the Sky was launched and we had a cruise booked, but alas that all disappeared on us thanks to the virus that shall not be mentioned and we never got to sail on the Sky.

Sounds like your cruise is going well.

29 minutes ago, jeromep said:

The hash browns aren't quite what I'd put up for myself on the Blackstone, or what would be served in any restaurant I live near.  They remind me of the potato cakes that Arby's used to offer.  I sure to miss Arby's potato cakes.

I follow the Captain on Instagram.  Seems like a nice guy.  I stumbled upon him when the Sky was launched and we had a cruise booked, but alas that all disappeared on us thanks to the virus that shall not be mentioned and we never got to sail on the Sky.

Sounds like your cruise is going well.

It is, thank you. The Sky is a lovely ship but we're very near and dear to smaller ships. I think I mentioned it in a previous post but I grew up in Tampa and the Spirit class ships for Carnival (~2100 passengers) are our sweet spot. The only Princess ships we've ever been on are Royal-class (Royal and Sky) and we're on the Majestic for another 14 in May. Quite honestly we find it difficult to find vacation breaking faults no matter what ship or itinerary we're on. We've never had a bad crew, never had a steward who wouldn't go above and beyond, and all in all really never had a bad meal. Too many people it seems get hung up on small inconveniences and let that ruin their vacation rather than take it in stride and be grateful for the opportunities they have in life. I really hope you get a chance to sail her at some point!

Edit: your Arby's comparison is spot on. That's exactly what they reminded me of too.

Edited by _rusty_shackleford
Forgot the hash browns
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, _rusty_shackleford said:

Too many people it seems get hung up on small inconveniences and let that ruin their vacation rather than take it in stride and be grateful for the opportunities they have in life.

Amen. 

But then, Cruise Critic would lose a lot of posters !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

I saw it too for $16; however, it isn't on the Plus list and OP advised his waiter wouldn't let him order/pay the difference for a wine above $15.  

I was referring to the Teserva Rose for $12. If a waiter would not let me order a higher priced wine I would ask for the restaurant manager 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I was referring to the Teserva Rose for $12. If a waiter would not let me order a higher priced wine I would ask for the restaurant manager 

I really think this is a combination of an (obviously) very new staff member and short staffing. We'll see if we're told the same thing tonight with a different dining room and staff.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Amen. 

But then, Cruise Critic would lose a lot of posters !

Ain't that the truth. Nothing wrong at all with constructive criticism if it comes from a genuine desire to help and improve but sheesh some people it seems can't wait to jump down the throat of a worker to soothe some kind of inferiority complex. I watched someone throw a fit because they didn't have blue cheese stuffed olives for her martini that had 4 other modifications. Yikes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jeromep said:

Uh, If that is the Black and Blue Onion Soup you had, the mold you encountered was from the Roquefort Cheese.  I have a wedge of Roquefort in my fridge right now, usually for putting on a cheese board at home or making salad dressing, but it has heavy mold veins in it, similar to, but in greater quantity than a number of blue cheeses.  The "bread mold" you had in the soup was unlikely to be from bread, but from the cheese.  The mold from Roquefort leans green in color, whereas blue cheese mold is generally a very dark blue.  I could see how Roquefort mold could be mistaken for bread mold based on color alone.

Uh, sorry, it was bread mold not Roquefort. The soup base was also faulty to the point of tastelessness. We had eaten at the CG two days previous and had no issues with the "onion soup" but this time it was inedible.

Are the specialtycoktails at Good Spirits still under the plus packacke price?? Saw the menu posted but no prices on it. That is my favorite place to go for a pre dinner cocktail the watermelon spicy one 🙂

• Like 1