Eurodam dry dock—what are the changes and updates?

Benh

11 hours ago, DRedmond said:

I am on the ship currently and commented above. Basically no Lincoln Center and they have not refurbished the room. Sitting there with a lone piano on the stage and empty chairs. They have not been on Main Stage either. Employees said new carpeting in dining areas and some new furnishing. I have never been on Eurodam before so can’t really say what’s different but could look if there are specific questions. 

It's definitely a shame they didn't do something with the LCS area during this drydock.  When we were on the Eurodam in Dec 21, the Kings Room was reserved for the LCS player's practice and the art gallery area at the other end of LCS was totally abandoned.  This now leaves probably over 100 feet of unpurposed public areas.

Combined, these areas potentially could have been a great location to install a Grand Dutch Cafe.  Maybe they can put the nice leather furniture and shuffleboard table there that they eliminated when they converted the nice Gallery Bar area into more slots.

7 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

It's definitely a shame they didn't do something with the LCS area during this drydock.  When we were on the Eurodam in Dec 21, the Kings Room was reserved for the LCS player's practice and the art gallery area at the other end of LCS was totally abandoned.  This now leaves probably over 100 feet of unpurposed public areas.

Combined, these areas potentially could have been a great location to install a Grand Dutch Cafe.  Maybe they can put the nice leather furniture and shuffleboard table there that they eliminated when they converted the nice Gallery Bar area into more slots.

The art gallery was on Eurodam in January. It's a small space, but it was crammed with art. The former computer room just aft of Explorer lounge (I think that's what it was, it looked like there were desks in it) was used as the pre-performance area for the LC players. I don't know if they practiced there, but it was a place to wait to be called to the stage. Idon't think it was used for anything else. 

Combining that would be a lot of work and I suspect the decision to change the LC contract was made too close to drydock time to do anything there. It's a shame it's such a dead space.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 9:00 PM, DRedmond said:

On the Eurodam right now. Nothing is going on in the Lincoln Center at all.  One lonely piano all alone. The Explorers Club is also empty looking.. no

people or activity. As far as refurbishments go we were told new carpet in dining areas and some new furniture. I have never been on ship before so can’t say. Certainly nothing all too impressive. One staff person also said they are doing away with libraries. Making them more like a cafe style. 

@DRedmond, first thanks for taking the time to provide updates during your cruise.  Would you be aware if the internet service had been upgraded to the Starlink service as of yet?  I was hoping it would happen during this dry dock.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I have a Panama Canal cruise on Eurodam on March 14th and my itinerary/events schedule is showing music in BB Kings Blues Club, Lincoln Center Stage, Billboard Onboard and the Main Stage.

There appears to be more than enough musical events.

Lincoln Center Stage events listed are Masterworks by Mozart, La Musica Latina, All American, French Connection, The British Isles, Just the Strings, Music Around the World,  Masterworks by Brahms, A Night at the Ballet and last but not least, Meet the Artists of Lincoln Center Stage.

I've never been on a HAL cruise but that sounds like a nice array of musical events throughout the music row area 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

I have a Panama Canal cruise on Eurodam on March 14th and my itinerary/events schedule is showing music in BB Kings Blues Club, Lincoln Center Stage, Billboard Onboard and the Main Stage.

There appears to be more than enough musical events.

Lincoln Center Stage events listed are Masterworks by Mozart, La Musica Latina, All American, French Connection, The British Isles, Just the Strings, Music Around the World,  Masterworks by Brahms, A Night at the Ballet and last but not least, Meet the Artists of Lincoln Center Stage.

I've never been on a HAL cruise but that sounds like a nice array of musical events throughout the music row area 

Those are all part of the Lincoln Center repertoire, but LC isn't on the current cruise. I'm afraid HAL hasn't updated their entertainment schedule.

15 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The art gallery was on Eurodam in January. It's a small space, but it was crammed with art. The former computer room just aft of Explorer lounge (I think that's what it was, it looked like there were desks in it) was used as the pre-performance area for the LC players. I don't know if they practiced there, but it was a place to wait to be called to the stage. Idon't think it was used for anything else. 

Combining that would be a lot of work and I suspect the decision to change the LC contract was made too close to drydock time to do anything there. It's a shame it's such a dead space.

Thanks for the update.  At least they put some art back in the gallery.  It was totally bare black walls in Dec 2021.

On 3/7/2023 at 2:45 PM, blueridgemama said:

The exact quote from the Facebook page was:

"The screening room/movie theater on deck 3 forward was repurposed into an amazing library with approx. 1500 new books"

The pictures look amazing.

So no movie theater on Eurodam any longer? My kids will be disappointed. One kid will like a library, but even she would probably prefer a movie theater.

18 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Those are all part of the Lincoln Center repertoire, but LC isn't on the current cruise. I'm afraid HAL hasn't updated their entertainment schedule.

Bummed about this change as well - my kids are all musicians so would have really enjoyed the LC. I don't see them wanting to hang out in the other music venues, but we've never been on HAL so not entirely sure what they're like. Has HAL posted the schedule for LC somewhere? I think I read that it would rotate among ships/itineraries, starting this summer, but seems it's already removed from Eurodam.

8 minutes ago, Hllb said:

So no movie theater on Eurodam any longer? My kids will be disappointed. One kid will like a library, but even she would probably prefer a movie theater.

I do not recall a screening room on deck 3 on the Eurodam - and we were on her twice in 2022.

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I do not recall a screening room on deck 3 on the Eurodam - and we were on her twice in 2022.

I don't recall a screening room on Eurodam from my January cruise. Movies about the Panama Canal were shown on the World Stage. Was it where the Tasman room is now? Across from the small meeting rooms where they had bridge and other games (Hudson, Half Moon rooms)? That's the spot where the screening room is (was?) on Zuiderdam. That room was always closed when I was on Eurodam.

I recall that the screening room on Zuiderdam had comfy seats, but it was too small. 

On 3/7/2023 at 1:56 PM, Tippy-Canoe said:

@DRedmond, first thanks for taking the time to provide updates during your cruise.  Would you be aware if the internet service had been upgraded to the Starlink service as of yet?  I was hoping it would happen during this dry dock.  Thanks.

I will ask about the internet. I haven’t had many issues with it but my husband has had multiple connection issues. We both have the same exact phone so go figure 

DRedmond, or anyone with a Eurodam cruise soon, could you let me know if there are gym mats in the gym?

I’m doing some physical therapy exercises on my knee that involve laying down on the floor (well, on my IKEA gym mat that came from the kid’s area), but I don’t plan on flying that to Seattle in June!  Hopefully my knee will be much better by my cruise in June, but it would be great to know if I can still do the exercises.

Thank you,

Suzanna

17 hours ago, Hllb said:

They apparently are showing movies in the main theater.

At least on our cruise there are two movies listed in the navigator app being shown in the main theater.

• Thanks 1

The Eurodam "library" looks like a bookstore. I can Recommend "The Bullet that Missed Twice," But you should read the one before it in the series, "Thursday Murder Club." But that won't be there because all HAL did was buy recent best-sellers--Hey Amazon, send me a bunch of books. No "curation" (a word that is overused, but it applies here). There probably isn't more than one title for any given author. How many books has Grisham written? I see one title.

THIS is a library!

IMG_20181124_175930321.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The Eurodam "library" looks like a bookstore. I can Recommend "The Bullet that Missed Twice," But you should read the one before it in the series, "Thursday Murder Club." But that won't be there because all HAL did was buy recent best-sellers--Hey Amazon, send me a bunch of books. No "curation" (a word that is overused, but it applies here). There probably isn't more than one title for any given author. How many books has Grisham written? I see one title.

THIS is a library!

IMG_20181124_175930321.jpg

Yes the new “library” is more like a small bookstore. They staffperson stated they are converting to this new style. It is a clean and attractive space but not what I consider to be a library. ie no nooks for reading, research etc. more like a clean space to borrow a book and leave. I have also noticed all of the newly installed carpet is beginning to shed… a lot. Especially in the high traffic areas like the lido deck buffet seating area. Needs a good vacuuming 

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

They apparently are showing movies in the main theater.

At least on our cruise there are two movies listed in the navigator app being shown in the main theater.

This is correct. They have had one movie shown thus far and it was one evening (two viewings) in the main theater. 

5 hours ago, SuzWillCruise said:

DRedmond, or anyone with a Eurodam cruise soon, could you let me know if there are gym mats in the gym?

I’m doing some physical therapy exercises on my knee that involve laying down on the floor (well, on my IKEA gym mat that came from the kid’s area), but I don’t plan on flying that to Seattle in June!  Hopefully my knee will be much better by my cruise in June, but it would be great to know if I can still do the exercises.

Thank you,

Suzanna

The gym also has new carpeting and lighting. It is well used. Lots of nice machines and a free weight area. Yes they have mats but they are extremely thin… basically just so you are laying on the mat not the floor people have been stepping on. If you are looking for those foam mats then no they don’t have those 

21 minutes ago, DRedmond said:

Yes the new “library” is more like a small bookstore. They staffperson stated they are converting to this new style. It is a clean and attractive space but not what I consider to be a library. ie no nooks for reading, research etc. more like a clean space to borrow a book and leave. I have also noticed all of the newly installed carpet is beginning to shed… a lot. Especially in the high traffic areas like the lido deck buffet seating area. Needs a good vacuuming 

New carpet often sheds for a while. I remember going to a conference in a hotel that had just opened a new wing. I saw lots of men in very nice business suits with lint on the bottom few inches of their trousers.