MSC Divina - First timer questions

jrapps

Just booked our first MSC cruise (3 night Divina out of Miami). I've read a lot (god and bad) but we decided to take the plunge and go into it open to new experiences. A few questions hoping people can help

1. We are Diamond from Status Match. I've read this doesn't get you much in Miami, but anyone with experience to share on this? So far my "Boarding Time" is listed as 4pm! (ouch!) but I know they don't enforce and it could change once I get to 20-days out. If you are Diamond, do you follow that anyway, and is there really any "priority" to Priority Boarding.

2. Anyone have a link to the menus for the 3-night? We have one free upscale with Diamond and trying to decide what night to do that. Also do you make the dining reservation in advance, or once you get on the ship? Can it be done via app, or is there somewhere I have to go onboard to book it?

3. I've read less than flattering things about the service, especially the speed at which you cna get drinks at the bar. Any tips from those who have been? Any bars that seem to be less crowded than others?

4. Any other tips for a newbie? I read already that as soon as you get onboard, i need to go to a kiosk and link my credit card. Any other nuggets of wisdom?

4. I believe you can wait a day or so before going to the kiosk; however, it was quick and easy, just took a few minutes, and that included booking entry into all the shows.

Nugget of wisdom: Don't compare it to other cruise lines. Go into it as a new experience, perhaps similar to being overseas.

Service, in all departments, is likely to be more formal and less gushy-friendly.  Don't take it personally, or assume it is poor service.  It is just a different, European style (one which we prefer).

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

4. I believe you can wait a day or so before going to the kiosk; however, it was quick and easy, just took a few minutes, and that included booking entry into all the shows.

Nugget of wisdom: Don't compare it to other cruise lines. Go into it as a new experience, perhaps similar to being overseas.

Service, in all departments, is likely to be more formal and less gushy-friendly.  Don't take it personally, or assume it is poor service.  It is just a different, European style (one which we prefer).

Thanks! Yep, that is exactly how we are going into this. We lived in Europe for a while so I have a feeling what to expect, but I am not going into this expecting a Royal or Disney experience. Not saying I am expecting worse (or better) just different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrapps said:

3. I've read less than flattering things about the service, especially the speed at which you cna get drinks at the bar. Any tips from those who have been? Any bars that seem to be less crowded than others?

4. Any other tips for a newbie? I read already that as soon as you get onboard, i need to go to a kiosk and link my credit card. Any other nuggets of wisdom?

Hi @jrapps. I was on the Divina for 7 nights last June (out of Port Canaveral) with my husband and our adult daughter. (And we just saw the Divina in Miami when we sailed on Celebrity Summit at the beginning of February!) I can't answer your first two questions, but here's a bit about our experience. WORTH NOTING: We sailed at about 50% capacity. I realize this will likely change things significantly.

Our service in the main dining room was excellent. Both our Head Waiter (Gerard) and Assistant Waiter (Alex) were extremely attentive. By day 2, they knew our preferences and were quick to accommodate the one in our party who doesn't eat meat. By day 3, Alex would see us coming in and he would head to the bar to grab our drinks, bringing them back within a few minutes. We were spoiled.

The Golden Jazz Bar (deck 7) was my husband's favorite. He called it the Austin Powers lounge because of the decor. Even though it was also on deck 7, we only discovered the Black & White Lounge on our last night. I recommend it! It's at the very back of the ship. It was not crowded when we were there (after dinner) and had a nice vibe. Live music. We danced to a couple of songs the one time we visited. We also liked the Silver Lounge on deck 6.

If you're lucky enough to visit Ocean Cay, the Lighthouse Bar is a great place to hang out. There's some shade available, and Adriano was a great bartender. (You're going to think we only hung out at bars and lounges. Not so! But they were worth mentioning. And it was vacation, after all.)

Our favorite area was the adults-only pool at the back of deck 14. Staff was serious about keeping it strictly for adults. We saw them stop several people trying to bring kids in (even older ones, say 14 or 15). A couple of men even argued with the staff person, but they didn't budge. So it was a fun area for the 20+ crowd. Nice pool and excellent service from the roaming bartenders. Plenty of lounge chairs (but again, half capacity for our sailing). We tipped with small bills frequently and had very attentive service the entire week. They even got to the point where they would bring us bottles of water without us asking.

The Divina is not a smart ship. No app. This didn't bother us, but we heard some other guests complaining.

We plan to try another MSC cruise on a different ship sometime soon. Enjoy your cruise!

3 night weekend cruises are organized chaos on every cruise line.  So brace yourself. 

The ship is guaranteed to be full, there will be lots of inexperienced cruisers, sailing out of Miami you'll have a very large Latino contingent, you'll have lots of groups/families traveling together, there will be tons of kids and teens, you'll see people falling over drunk by noon, and overall everyone trying to cram as much as they can in to just 3 days.  

That said, avoiding peak hours for dining can help as can utilizing bars that aren't as popular for drinks. Personally, unless it was on a luxury line, I would never take a weekend cruise on a mass market line.  That includes YC on MSC.  

• Like 2

Hi,

We are experienced cruisers, but we are also going on an MSC Divina for a 3 night weekend cruise (Ocean Cay). Will be our first cruise on and MSC, so I cant really answer questions. We did get matched to the equivalent of RCCL Diamond, even though I don't think it brings anything special for this sailing.

We wouldn't typically do such a short cruise, but there are about 12 of us going, so it had to fit everyone's schedule. And we got a friends and family discount so it was really inexpensive. Maybe because of this "family" rate we actually got a boarding time of 11:00AM. That surprised us.

We are just going with no specific expectations, but just that it will be a different experience. Just spend alot of time in the pool and in the beach. And then having some adult beverages in different lounges.

Many comments from those who traveled in 2022 are no longer valid. The ships have been sailing quite full, and the cutbacks in food quality and variety are significant. The crew works so hard, but they are understaffed. Because of fewer and many new crew members, you will find at times that there are shortages. In the buffet, there were times when there were no cups, glasses, or silverware anywhere. The Divina is in need of more seating on the pool deck. A fight broke out over this on our 10 day Divina cruise. Pack your patience and maybe lower expectations. The Divina wasn't like this several years ago.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:54 AM, jrapps said:

Just booked our first MSC cruise (3 night Divina out of Miami). I've read a lot (god and bad) but we decided to take the plunge and go into it open to new experiences. A few questions hoping people can help

1. We are Diamond from Status Match. I've read this doesn't get you much in Miami, but anyone with experience to share on this? So far my "Boarding Time" is listed as 4pm! (ouch!) but I know they don't enforce and it could change once I get to 20-days out. If you are Diamond, do you follow that anyway, and is there really any "priority" to Priority Boarding.

I was on Divina 2/12-24. No embarkation times were looked at. Come when you like.

On 2/28/2023 at 9:54 AM, jrapps said:

2. Anyone have a link to the menus for the 3-night? We have one free upscale with Diamond and trying to decide what night to do that. Also do you make the dining reservation in advance, or once you get on the ship? Can it be done via app, or is there somewhere I have to go onboard to book it? 

I preferred buffet to the long dinners so can't comment here. The fish & fresh sauteed veggies were better than what I got in the dining room. The pizza is AMAZING. Buffet can get very congested; avoid peak meal times.

I highly recommend: La Cantina di Bacco on deck 7. It is the wine & pizza bar & rarely busy. Bartender & servers were fantastic (can't be sure they will be the same on your cruise). Bartender at La Luna was also fantastic; I tried to hit it early in the evening as it would get busy later. DO NOT try to order a drink with dinner...you may never get it, or get it at the end of your meal. Grab your drink at a bar before going in.

If you want ANY lounger on ANY deck, be prepared to snag one early. 

I was on 12 nights & STILL got turned around...those ship maps by most elevators was a life saver!

Elevators: sometimes u may need to grab one going the wrong direction...they would pass right by you sometimes! And the far aft bank of elevators is the least busy, IMO.

Have a great time!

The buffet will close at 1am probably. If you are 3am snackers bring sandwich bags or tupperware and bring stuff back to the room fridge. If you like milk or chocolate milk, yogurt etc.. find the two tiny spots that have it at the breakfast buffets. Even ordering your steak rare in the dining room will get you a piece of shoe leather.

The muster/emergency drill is a confusing pain in the bottom more complicated than just go to your station at assigned time.

Most people say the wifi stinks.