GTY CABIN LOCATION

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Also look for price drops in higher categories and other locations in your existing category once the assignment is official.

balcony's and suites sold out. Have balcony gty.

16 minutes ago, XSWABBY said:
38 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:
  • Why are you hoping it is incorrect? 

Location.

Maybe RoyalUp will work for you.  Hope so.

In the meantime, learn the exact category code of your cabin to be (example 4V or whatever).  Once your cabin assignment becomes official, you can see if any cabins in that exact category in a location you prefer are available.  Someone may cancel, so a balcony may become available by then.  If so, call your TA (if you used one or RCI (if you booked direct) and politely ask if they will allow you to switch.   If no better located cabins are available right then, keep watching: sometimes one pops up.  If it does, call quickly before someone else grabs it.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

In the meantime, learn the exact category code of your cabin to be (example 4V or whatever).  Once your cabin assignment becomes official, you can see if any cabins in that exact category in a location you prefer are available.  Someone may cancel, so a balcony may become available by then.  If so, call your TA (if you used one or RCI (if you booked direct) and politely ask if they will allow you to switch.   If no better located cabins are available right then, keep watching: sometimes one pops up.  If it does, call quickly before someone else grabs it.

Thank you. I will watch for this.

Just now, XSWABBY said:

Thank you. I will watch for this.

I hope they officially give you your assignment relatively soon;  that had happened for us previously. That gives you better odds of catching a chance to swap.

Once I stayed in “bar code status” for weeks, watching nicer cabins in my category disappear and then the entire cruise sell out.  Our assigned cabin was so-so and we thought we’d stay put.  Someone must have cancelled a few days before the cruise, as our RoyalUp bid won. You never know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Or a full price customer books it rather than trying to save $ booking a guarantee and then hoping to trade for a more favorable location. 

4 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Or a full price customer books it rather than trying to save $ booking a guarantee and then hoping to trade for a more favorable location. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah keep beating your favorite dead horse😀😀😀😀.

We know Royal considers the cabins equivalent, else they would not be in the exact same category.  In terms of location, everyone has preferences.  For example, some people like balconies on high deck while others like lower decks.  That hypothetical full price customer might like Xswabby’s cabin better; we cannot know.  

A few months ago I paid to upgrade to a WS when only two JS remained.  I was assigned the unobstructed one mid way to the elevators.  I called and asked to swap to the obstructed one (window washing apparatus plus ship structure) further from elevators.  Thus, I gave up the cabin most casual customers (and many CC members) would take.  I knew the obstructed cabin had a shady alcove off the balcony that my shade loving hubby would enjoy.  We enjoyed the cabin rejected by so many others.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah keep beating your favorite dead horse😀😀😀😀.

We know Royal considers the cabins equivalent, else they would not be in the exact same category.  In terms of location, everyone has preferences.  For example, some people like balconies on high deck while others like lower decks.  That hypothetical full price customer might like Xswabby’s cabin better; we cannot know.  

A few months ago I paid to upgrade to a WS when only two JS remained.  I was assigned the unobstructed one mid way to the elevators.  I called and asked to swap to the obstructed one (window washing apparatus plus ship structure) further from elevators.  Thus, I gave up the cabin most casual customers (and many CC members) would take.  I knew the obstructed cabin had a shady alcove off the balcony that my shade loving hubby would enjoy.  We enjoyed the cabin rejected by so many others.

Oh, I have other dead horses on my beating list. This one is low to mid range. I just like to wait when a thread has guarantee in the name to see how fast you post the lines you must have copied and ready. 

24 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Oh, I have other dead horses on my beating list. This one is low to mid range. I just like to wait when a thread has guarantee in the name to see how fast you post the lines you must have copied and ready. 

So many dead horses awaiting beatings, must make home very stinky crowded place🤣

For those who beat dead horses (so mean), I booked a GTY neighborhood balcony on our upcoming Harmony cruise on April 1 because I was 100% fine with any balcony, anywhere, and at $2,900 and some change, it was $900 less than if I picked a neighborhood balcony and $1,300 less than if I picked an Oceanview balcony.

I haven't been assigned a cabin yet. The cruise is in 30 days. My boarding pass just shows GTY after the dash right now. Just for reference's sake for the original question.

This is a bonus cruise I booked a week ago, wasn't planning on going anywhere for spring break. If there's a slide on the boardwalk outside my balcony, so be it. Don't care, going on a cruise, woo-hoo!

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 4

On 3/2/2023 at 6:21 AM, njsmom said:

This is a bonus cruise I booked a week ago, wasn't planning on going anywhere for spring break. If there's a slide on the boardwalk outside my balcony, so be it. Don't care, going on a cruise, woo-hoo!

If I had a bonus cruise in the immediate future I wouldn't care either where I ended up!  Hopefully though you get a great cabin, but either way I expect you'll have such a great trip with your son!

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 8:42 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

Hi, here’s a nice thread to demonstrate that even with cabins on the same deck and knowledge posters, ideas about location favorably vary.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2023 at 5:11 PM, Starry Eyes said:

I hope they officially give you your assignment relatively soon;  that had happened for us previously. That gives you better odds of catching a chance to swap.

Once I stayed in “bar code status” for weeks, watching nicer cabins in my category disappear and then the entire cruise sell out.  Our assigned cabin was so-so and we thought we’d stay put.  Someone must have cancelled a few days before the cruise, as our RoyalUp bid won. You never know.

how do you see what cabins are available?

1 hour ago, jacelyn said:

how do you see what cabins are available?

I just do a mock booking on an online website. 

Some people use TA sites (we are not allowed to name specific travel agencies on CruiseCritic); others use the Royal Caribbean website.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:38 AM, HERDFAN said:

I dont have an apple. I have android.

I have an android, and I've been able to use the "barcode trick".  

On 3/1/2023 at 7:29 PM, XSWABBY said:

It was a decision I made, and will live with it. (and hope I hit a Royal Up bid.)

With that attitude, you'll be fine!  

For what it's worth, we like using guarantees when it's just me and my husband -- we're not too picky about location.  We've been very happy with our assignments.  We seem to keep being placed on Deck 6 (which isn't a particularly popular deck), and now we prefer it.  We also seem to land mid-ship; our theory is that it costs a little more, and people aren't willing to pay.

On 3/1/2023 at 7:40 PM, Starry Eyes said:

... Someone may cancel, so a balcony may become available by then ...

Yes, things happen.  I once had to cancel a prime aft balcony cabin a week before the cruise.  I've always wondered who ended up with that cabin -- this was pre-Royal Up, so someone got it as a surprise.