Shore Excursions

RexMesiter

I booked the cheapest stateroom category (V2) for an upcoming cruise. For the V2 category, shore excursions can't be booked until 60 days prior to sailing, a disadvantage vs other stateroom categories.  Is it likely that some shore excursions will be full by the time I get to choose?

What cruiseline/ship? What itinerary, and what departure port?  In many ports, an excursion is not needed at all; easy to DIY.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  I hope you will find it helpful for all your cruising.

Edited by shipgeeks

54 minutes ago, RexMesiter said:

Viking Venus is the ship.  Italy, the Adriatic & Greece is the tour departing from Rome in Oct 2024

Best for you to ask this on the board here for Viking Ocean, located under Cruise Lines P-Z.  Lots of Viking regulars there to help you out.  
I gather you are on the 14 night cruise?  First, I would suggest you get a copy of Rick Steves’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  It is written to help you plan and do excursions on your own.  Many ports do not require an excursion…Kotor comes to mind.  lovely place to wander.  Venice will depend on where you dock.  If it is Marghera, I recommend you take whatever excursion that gets you into the city.  It may be a ferry across the lagoon.  Since you are there two nights, I also recommend his Venice guidebook, or other similar.  Also visit the Ports of Call boards here for the Med.  

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Thanks Essiesmom, I thought I had posted under the Viking Ocean and was surprised that my question didn't show up there - I'll copy it over now.  I'll be sure to check out the Rick Steves resources you mention.

And another suggestion, if you really have an interest in Venice.  Read some of Donna Leon's mystery books based in Venice.  Comissario Guido Brunetti.  They give some insight on how gov't and politics work in Italy.  Also, he walks all over Venice, and you might want to follow his footsteps.  The books are available for Kindle/Kindle app which is where we read most of them.  there is also a companion book Brunetti's Venice, following his journeys through the city.  EM

FYI to all reading this thread,

Now that OP has reposted on the correct forum & has many helpful replies there, this thread is now closed.

Host Kat