london hotels

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Many threads here on hotels, thousands of hotels in London, in many neighborhoods,  and of differing budgets.

So, where do you want to be? When is your flight the next day? How is your budget?

and .........................

In London pre-cruise? Or post-cruise?

How many days do you plan to be in London?

Will you be arriving at Heathrow? Gatwick? From Southampton? Or Dover? 

Are you sailing from Southampton? Dover? And back to the same port?

Size of your party and any mobility issues is also useful to know.

London is a big city, and difficult or expensive to get around with luggage (but real easy & cheap without luggage)

The best or cheapest way to travel between central London and its airports and the sea-ports depends on which airport & which sea-port, therefore which neighbourhood is best for your hotel.

The more detail you can give, the more useful the replies.  

JB 🙂

I would decide where I wanted to be first. For example - if I was heading for Southampton after, Waterloo or Victoria would be sensible.

Google Maps will show hotels and today's prices, which would give you a head start. 

5 hours ago, Bob++ said:

I would decide where I wanted to be first. For example - if I was heading for Southampton after, Waterloo or Victoria would be sensible.

Google Maps will show hotels and today's prices, which would give you a head start. 

Which area, Waterloo or Victoria, is closer for walking to the main sites, such as Westminster Abbey, Tower of London or Buckingham Palace

Buckingham Palace is near Victoria. Waterloo is on the South Bank, still handy for most tourist sites. The Tower of London is easy to access via a river bus.

Waterloo is the Railway station for direct trains to Southampton and Victoria is where the coaches leave from,

Edited by Bob++
  • Like 1

Waterloo / Westminster Bridge is easy for visiting many major tourist sights on foot.

Victoria is at the western end of "tourist" London & convenient only for Buck. Palace, the South Ken. museums, the Albert Hall, but has a broader range of hotel types & prices

Tower of London is at the eastern end of "tourist" London, convenient only for the Tower and Tower Bridge (the bridge on postcards & chocolate boxes). For that reason it's the one area I'd say is less convenient than Waterloo/Wessie Bridge or Victoria altho like anywhere in central London is convenient for exploring by tube,.

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

(don't bother printing-off the tube map, its on display everywhere and on all tourist maps) 

A useful London guide is 

https://www.londontoolkit.com/

JB  🙂

14 hours ago, John Bull said:

and .........................

In London pre-cruise? Or post-cruise?

How many days do you plan to be in London?

Will you be arriving at Heathrow? Gatwick? From Southampton? Or Dover? 

Are you sailing from Southampton? Dover? And back to the same port?

Size of your party and any mobility issues is also useful to know.

London is a big city, and difficult or expensive to get around with luggage (but real easy & cheap without luggage)

The best or cheapest way to travel between central London and its airports and the sea-ports depends on which airport & which sea-port, therefore which neighbourhood is best for your hotel.

The more detail you can give, the more useful the replies.  

JB 🙂

Yes we are going pre cruise for 2 days  and it is out of Southampton one way cruise to Barcelona. We are 2 very mobile and young. Don't know what area to stay plan on getting private transportation to Southampton for cruise. So looking for the best area with nice hotels.

4 hours ago, coopster said:

Yes we are going pre cruise for 2 days  and it is out of Southampton one way cruise to Barcelona. We are 2 very mobile and young. Don't know what area to stay plan on getting private transportation to Southampton for cruise. So looking for the best area with nice hotels.

Not sure what your budget is, but "best" for us was our week post-cruise at the Milestone Hotel, and easily used the London Underground minding the gap. Just an amazing hotel !!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coopster said:

Easiest locations are

- near Waterloo station for frequent direct trains to Southampton Central. Consider Marriott County Hall. Premier Inn County Hall or Westminster Bridge, Park Plaza Waterloo or Westminster Bridge, or any other hotels in the vicinity. Almost all are large chain hotels.

You don't mention where you're arriving, but very frequent direct trains from Gatwick airport to London Bridge station then a short taxi ride, from Heathrow it's by tube (one change of tube train) or tube plus taxi or pre-booked door-to-door private transfer.

- near Victoria coach station for direct National Express coaches (buses) to Southampton coach station. a little less convenient for sight-seeing but a much broader range of hotels and room rates.

Frequent direct  trains from Gatwick, or from Heathrow direct but slow Nat Express coaches or tube (one change of train) or pre-booked private transfer

Other locations are easier for travel from Heathrow or Gatwick but more-difficult for onward travel to Southampton.

No location is convenient for all sights so ideally choose a hotel convenient to a tube (metro) station and a ho-ho stop.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

https://www.tootbus.com/en/london/product/affb216c-6875-44e7-b4ad-8a7ce1d220d4

(good for a round-trip overview, slow & limited for travelling place-to-place - tube is far quicker)

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, gumshoe958 said:

If you’re not on a budget look at the St Martin’s Lane Hotel or Ham Yard Hotel. Both quite hip and boutique but not cheap.

i saw the resident soho

thistle piccadilly

the clermont

and st martins

all caught my eye unless there are better ones in the $400 range

There’s also a Radisson right in the middle of Covent Garden. Radisson Blu Mercer Street, I think it’s called.

But if St Martin’s Lane caught your eye and you’re happy with the price, go for it. Great location if you want to be at the heart of the action.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1