Silver Spirits

tocruiseguy

Hi, a few questions.   Maybe I missed it, but I scoured the Viking website and I can't find an answer to the questions.   

I presume we can purchase the Silver Spirits package onboard rather than pre-cruise if we wish? (we have an onboard only credit)  

If we purchase it pre-cruise we can purchase it in Canadian Dollars, if we purchase it on the ship will it still be priced in Canadian or will it be priced in USD (and my credit card will convert to CDN $s)?

Can you purchase the package mid-cruise, for example, on a pro-rated basis? 

Thanks

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

Hi, a few questions.   Maybe I missed it, but I scoured the Viking website and I can't find an answer to the questions.   

I presume we can purchase the Silver Spirits package onboard rather than pre-cruise if we wish? (we have an onboard only credit)  

If we purchase it pre-cruise we can purchase it in Canadian Dollars, if we purchase it on the ship will it still be priced in Canadian or will it be priced in USD (and my credit card will convert to CDN $s)?

Can you purchase the package mid-cruise, for example, on a pro-rated basis? 

Thanks

Not sure about your credit card, but probably be charged as US dollars, then your cc would convert it to cad.  You can’t buy the SS package mid cruise ..cost will not be prorated. I leave in less than 2 weeks, I’ll buy the package when we board, as I use my shipboard credit from my TA.

• Like 2

You can buy the package mid cruise but at full freight so not a good idea. If you want it get it as soon as you embark. Any bartender will be happy to get you signed up. American $$$ is the standard currency aboard,

• Like 2

Also remember that both travellers in the cabin must purchase.  You cannot (Technically) purchase as one person in a double occupancy cabin.

I say technically, because I know of two situations where with some strong arming, onboard a friend purchased because she was travelling with her grandchild and she was under the drinking age.  BUT, it was not just an "OK", it took some convincing.

I also talked to one person who their travel companion did NOT drink any alcohol but Viking refused to sell it to them as a single person in a double occupancy cabin.

I understand that staff on board can issue a single pass if the other passenger can give documented evidence of drink related issues which prohibit alcohol consumption.

On line agents have not got this option according to another thread discussion I have seen.

Thanks for the info everyone.  BTW, we have a Celebrity Med Cruise booked for later this year.  I checked how much the Premium Drink Package is a day.....sit down..... $135 CDN per day!!!!  Yikes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

Thanks for the info everyone.  BTW, we have a Celebrity Med Cruise booked for later this year.  I checked how much the Premium Drink Package is a day.....sit down..... $135 CDN per day!!!!  Yikes.  

I bet they don't even serve Molson's. Mooshead, or LaBatt's

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

They don't have included wine/beer as a starting point so that must be factored in.

11 minutes ago, duquephart said:

They don't have included wine/beer as a starting point so that must be factored in.

Celebrity also doesn't include the "fancy" coffees like Latte's "free" but even so, thats an awful lot of wine and beer at supper.  I would have to detox after our upcoming 27 day Viking cruise to drink enough for the equivalent of $135 a day😂 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

Celebrity also doesn't include the "fancy" coffees like Latte's "free" but even so, thats an awful lot of wine and beer at supper.  I would have to detox after our upcoming 27 day Viking cruise to drink enough for the equivalent of $135 a day😂 

You’re not alone. I suspect that quite a few pax on the SSP need to detox after their cruise. Cocktails and wine morning, noon, and night — the liver can only handle so much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

You’re not alone. I suspect that quite a few pax on the SSP need to detox after their cruise. Cocktails and wine morning, noon, and night — the liver can only handle so much.

Amateurs. It's only 4 drinks a day to break even. Nowhere near enough to get silly unless a beginner to drinking

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Having the SSP does not require one to drink to excess.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, duquephart said:

"only 4 drinks a day" = alcoholic.

Not in the UK, a drink at lunch, two with dinner, and a cocktail or spirit after. 

US people are generally amateurs. A mild pint is usually only 4%. A Viking measure isn't even a pint or a large wine. To put it in perspective, 3 pints is just under the UK drink drive limit. Not being able to handle drink is a sign of immaturity 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Having the SSP does not require one to drink to excess.

Indeed, there’s no requirement. Nobody is forced to drink to excess. But an all-you-can-drink package like the SSP does create an incentive, perhaps only at the margin, for some to drink way more than usual.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Not in the UK, a drink at lunch, two with dinner, and a cocktail or spirit after. 

US people are generally amateurs. A mild pint is usually only 4%. A Viking measure isn't even a pint or a large wine. To put it in perspective, 3 pints is just under the UK drink drive limit. Not being able to handle drink is a sign of immaturity 

The U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism defines “heavy drinking” as more than 4 drinks on any day for men, and more than 3 drinks on any day for women.

1 hour ago, tocruiseguy said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/compare-packages

15 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

The U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism defines “heavy drinking” as more than 4 drinks on any day for men, and more than 3 drinks on any day for women.

That is in the US, in most of the world (excluding moslem countries) that is at the upper end of normal, particularly if on holiday with no need to work or drive

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Or 14/7 drinks per week is a standard.

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Is on a WC.

Something new every day.

On our last cruise the steward left a 1L bottle of Gordon's on the counter saying they had "run out" of the little bottles for the fridge.

• Haha 1