Does anyone have the map that goes with the Alaska Cruise Companion by Rachel Cartwright? Binocular recommendation?

leahthecaterer

I just got a copy of the highly recommended book from amazon but there was no map in it.  I wondered if anyone had one that they could take a picture of and post. 🙂  I've been trying to find one online but no luck so far.  We are looking forward to our first Alaskan cruise this May. 

And speaking of amazon, is there a pair of binoculars that you like that are less than $150 that would be good?  I like the ones that you can take photos with too but not sure how well they really work.

Thanks!

Leah

1 hour ago, leahthecaterer said:

I just got a copy of the highly recommended book from amazon but there was no map in it.  I wondered if anyone had one that they could take a picture of and post. 🙂  I've been trying to find one online but no luck so far.  We are looking forward to our first Alaskan cruise this May. 

And speaking of amazon, is there a pair of binoculars that you like that are less than $150 that would be good?  I like the ones that you can take photos with too but not sure how well they really work.

Thanks!

Leah

Here are photos of the map from the Alaska Cruise Companion book.  The map measures about 24” X 30” when opened up.  Hope the photos help!

865419F2-C5B0-4B7F-B4CB-4F90496F758C.jpeg

E38C7C8C-840D-47C8-A28A-883148780013.jpeg

09EE48DE-A780-476E-801C-4568BCCCC5EA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cobber76 said:

Here are photos of the map from the Alaska Cruise Companion book.  The map measures about 24” X 30” when opened up.  Hope the photos help!

865419F2-C5B0-4B7F-B4CB-4F90496F758C.jpeg

E38C7C8C-840D-47C8-A28A-883148780013.jpeg

09EE48DE-A780-476E-801C-4568BCCCC5EA.jpeg

Oh my gosh - thank you so much!  That helps a ton.  I'm a visual person so this is perfect!

• Like 1

As far as binoculars go, if you haven’t already done so, go to a shop that sells them and try them out.  The ones that have the longest range may be too heavy to be practical to hold, and add weight to your luggage.  If you are not sure where to go, try army/navy surplus, Bass Pro, Cabelas, places that sell hunting stuff.  Decide what you want and then buy on Amazon if price is better.  EM

• Like 1

Totally agree with you. Binoculars on a cruise is worth the baggage volume it takes.

My standards are pretty high on optics. I got lucky and found an older model at a garage sale. So, you might consider Craigslist, or whatever works in your area; a secondhand purchase. It's not like they wear out.

I have seen monoculars with an attachment for your cell phone. I cannot attest to the quality. But to take photos, a mounting bracket would be worth checking into.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

We have a "Alaska Inside Passage Travel Guide" booklet we bought in 2004 on our first Alaska cruise.  It has fold out maps and one page maps although the booklet is only 5x8.5".  It's sitting in the bottom of a bag full of cruise "stuff" - so if you'd like it I'd be happy to pass it on!

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 3:21 PM, leahthecaterer said:

I just got a copy of the highly recommended book from amazon but there was no map in it.

I bought the book on my recent Princess cruise for $3.31 and it came with a map.

Since your book did not come with the map, assuming it was new, contact Amazon and request that they send one to you.

11 hours ago, caribill said:

I bought the book on my recent Princess cruise for $3.31 and it came with a map.

Since your book did not come with the map, assuming it was new, contact Amazon and request that they send one to you.

Holy cow - I can't believe you got the book that cheap on the cruise!  I thought it would be way more there.

16 hours ago, bjkTX said:

We have a "Alaska Inside Passage Travel Guide" booklet we bought in 2004 on our first Alaska cruise.  It has fold out maps and one page maps although the booklet is only 5x8.5".  It's sitting in the bottom of a bag full of cruise "stuff" - so if you'd like it I'd be happy to pass it on!

That is so thoughtful!  Let me check out the other links people have suggested.  I think 5x8.5 in a good size when you travel 😉

1 hour ago, leahthecaterer said:

Holy cow - I can't believe you got the book that cheap on the cruise!  I thought it would be way more there.

It was a Caribbean cruise where they were trying to get rid of the Alaska merchandise

@leahthecaterer  Greetings Leah,

The book I have on Alaska is titled:

The Alaska Cruise Companion – a Mile by Mile guide

Complete Book and Map Set

Author – Joe Upton

2008 Edition – 287 pages

I bought the 2008 edition from the Princess gift shop several years ago.

The Joe Upton book (2012 edition) is available on Amazon if Cruise Critic members are interested at a very nominal price.

The author has spent over 20+ years exploring Alaska and the Northwest coast, catching fish, making maps, taking photos, and collecting his award-winning stories.  The book “The Alaska Cruise Companion” was originally published in 1997 for Princess Cruises (only) and then later came The Alaska Cruise Handbook, available in bookstores and aboard most Alaska cruise ships.  I believe these are very similar books.  Just the title changed.  The “Companion” book covers routes, Alaska cruise ports, walks around the ports, shore excursions, and much more. But the enduring quality of Joe’s book is (in addition to being a fully informational Alaska cruise guide) that it’s filled with Upton’s wonderful Alaska stories.

Side note:  I understand Upton has a new paperback edition for approximately $32.00.  I believe the map insert is still included.  The book was published in June of 2012.  Joe Upton worked with film maker Dan Kowalski to produce over 20 videos highlighting places along your cruise route, sharing his deep knowledge of the land.  I have not viewed the videos.  If interested in the latest book checkout Amazon.

The “Alaska Cruise Companion” is an excellent book in my humble opinion.  I must admit I did blow past some sections that were not on our last trip!  But it’s a very good read since it reminded me of things I needed to follow-up on for our 2023 Alaskan trip.  Love, love the maps!  Very detailed.

When we stated to plan our 3rd Alaskan cruise/tour for 2023 I remembered that I had the book and dug it out for research and/or references.  It's fascinating!  Full of tidbits of information, beautiful pictures of wildlife and scenery coupled with lots of history of the cities and locations the cruise visits.  I sure wish I had the book for our 1st Alaskan cruise many years ago.

John                                                      

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John99 said:

@leahthecaterer  Greetings Leah,

The book I have on Alaska is titled:

The Alaska Cruise Companion – a Mile by Mile guide

Complete Book and Map Set

Author – Joe Upton

2008 Edition – 287 pages

I bought the 2008 edition from the Princess gift shop several years ago.

The Joe Upton book (2012 edition) is available on Amazon if Cruise Critic members are interested at a very nominal price.

The author has spent over 20+ years exploring Alaska and the Northwest coast, catching fish, making maps, taking photos, and collecting his award-winning stories.  The book “The Alaska Cruise Companion” was originally published in 1997 for Princess Cruises (only) and then later came The Alaska Cruise Handbook, available in bookstores and aboard most Alaska cruise ships.  I believe these are very similar books.  Just the title changed.  The “Companion” book covers routes, Alaska cruise ports, walks around the ports, shore excursions, and much more. But the enduring quality of Joe’s book is (in addition to being a fully informational Alaska cruise guide) that it’s filled with Upton’s wonderful Alaska stories.

Side note:  I understand Upton has a new paperback edition for approximately $32.00.  I believe the map insert is still included.  The book was published in June of 2012.  Joe Upton worked with film maker Dan Kowalski to produce over 20 videos highlighting places along your cruise route, sharing his deep knowledge of the land.  I have not viewed the videos.  If interested in the latest book checkout Amazon.

The “Alaska Cruise Companion” is an excellent book in my humble opinion.  I must admit I did blow past some sections that were not on our last trip!  But it’s a very good read since it reminded me of things I needed to follow-up on for our 2023 Alaskan trip.  Love, love the maps!  Very detailed.

When we stated to plan our 3rd Alaskan cruise/tour for 2023 I remembered that I had the book and dug it out for research and/or references.  It's fascinating!  Full of tidbits of information, beautiful pictures of wildlife and scenery coupled with lots of history of the cities and locations the cruise visits.  I sure wish I had the book for our 1st Alaskan cruise many years ago.

John                                                      

Thanks so much for that detailed message.  I will look up John's book on amazon