Juneau timing help

ugadawgfan

We will arrive in Juneau at 2pm on Aug. 24th and are there until 11pm. We want to do a whale watching tour with Harv and Marv that starts at 5 pm. My question is do we have time to go to Mendenhall Glacier between 2 and 5 pm. If so should we just take a taxi from port to glacier and then glacier to dock to meet Harv and Marv tour, or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Check with Harv and Marv.  Most whale watching tours can drop you off or pick you up at the glacier.  It's on the way from downtown to Auke Bay.

I don't think it is as common as it used to be due to new park regulations. 

I would definitely check with Harv and Marv. You are very close to Mendenhall when you are out there. I would think a shuttle or taxi to Mendenhall and then getting a taxi to Auke Bay would work. I would not go back into Juneau downtown between.

On 3/5/2023 at 12:33 PM, ugadawgfan said:

We will arrive in Juneau at 2pm on Aug. 24th and are there until 11pm. We want to do a whale watching tour with Harv and Marv that starts at 5 pm. My question is do we have time to go to Mendenhall Glacier between 2 and 5 pm. If so should we just take a taxi from port to glacier and then glacier to dock to meet Harv and Marv tour, or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance. 

I would not try.

Arriving at 2 means getting off at 2.30 or later and then the time to get to Mendenhall. Then you need to get to the whale tour by 5 so that means leaving 4.30 or so.

I guess if you wanted to do a quick tour of the visitor center you could make it but any hiking trips would be rushed.