Combo Whalewatch and Mendenhall Glacier--Reputable Tour Companies?

SuzieQ521

Hello:

Initially we had planned a combo Glacier Gardens/Mendenhall glacier Princess tour but I read that Glacier Gardens would not be worth it in May. I was then looking at the salmon bake/Mendenhall tour as well but now am thinking about whale watching and Mendenhall.

Princess doesn't offer a combo whale watching/Mendenhall tour so was looking for some reputable private companies. I did see 

https://www.juneauwhalewatch.com/  and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks!

Princess offers the Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest, although you don't get a long time at the glacier (about an hour).  It may not be offered if you have a weird port time.  Be aware that if you have anyone with limited mobility you have to walk from the ship to the tram parking lot to get to Juneau Whale Watching and then from the parking lot at Auke Bay down to the docks. All the whale watching companies in Juneau are reputable with the possible exception of some of the smaller 6 passenger boats.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Princess offers the Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest, although you don't get a long time at the glacier (about an hour).  It may not be offered if you have a weird port time.  Be aware that if you have anyone with limited mobility you have to walk from the ship to the tram parking lot to get to Juneau Whale Watching and then from the parking lot at Auke Bay down to the docks. All the whale watching companies in Juneau are reputable with the possible exception of some of the smaller 6 passenger boats.

Thank you. Yes, I didn't see that combo tour with Princess (maybe because our ship arrives at Noon). EDIT: I do see it now but it seems significantly more expensive than the private company.

Thank you for that information. We do have a couple people with limited mobility so that will be a factor.

Edited by SuzieQ521

We’ve been out with Juneau Whale Watch 4 times. We had about 25 passengers on each of our trips with plenty of room at the rail for viewing. The combo tour takes you to the glacier after the whale watch and then back to the ship. They have buses back to the ship every 30 minutes or so, so you can take your time at the glacier as long as you don’t miss the last bus. Their boats are very stable.

• Like 1

I'll also vouch for Juneau Whale Watch. I had to email them about a change of plans two days before our excursion and they where great about responding and rebooking me. They were also very aware of our sail away time and very much kept that in mind during the excursion, which I very much appreciated. On our way to the whale watch we had a great bus driver who pointed out points of interest as we were driving and told us about her life in Juneau, which definitely added a lot to the experience. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

What is the issue with the smaller 6 passenger boats?

We have used Jayleen's in Juneau before and will again this summer. Very reputable and a great tour. Jayleen's is a native Alaskan and knows her business. She also knows the habits of whales and also most importantly insists on safety. If you don't comply she returns you to shore. 

On 3/5/2023 at 5:20 PM, wolfie11 said:

All the whale watching companies in Juneau are reputable with the possible exception of some of the smaller 6 passenger boats.

I have my own issues with them but am curious about the details of what you posted.

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

I have my own issues with them but am curious about the details of what you posted.

I haven't been out on a six pack in a couple of years so maybe things have changed, but you would sign up for a whale watch with a broker who would fill the boat and assign it to a six pack captain. I was in Juneau for the summer and it was a cheap way to get out on the water and see some whales. Many of the captains normally did salmon charters, but when the salmon numbers started to decline and catch and release rules started, they would sign up for whale watching. 

There were no requirements in place for any kind of training for whale watching or proof of familiarization with the rules.  I was out a couple of times with captains who either did not know or did not care about the regulations.  On one trip, we just chased whales around Auke Bay.  There are other factors as well, such as lack of viewing area on a small fishing boat compared to those designed specifically for whale watching and their slower speeds. 

I know a number of captains in the area and most of them are great and do take the time to inform themselves about whales and whale watching regulations.  I also think that this behavior is harder to get away with now, as there are so many boats out whale watching and bad captains are more likely to be observed and reported.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:33 PM, Gsel said:

We have used Jayleen's in Juneau before and will again this summer. Very reputable and a great tour. Jayleen's is a native Alaskan and knows her business. She also knows the habits of whales and also most importantly insists on safety. If you don't comply she returns you to shore. 

What exactly happens with the non compliance?  What are the rules not to be broken?  We are always far away from the actual whales so just interested what would cause someone to be returned?