MSC - COVID PCR testing - RIO Embarkation

Jamesbambridge

We are due to take the MSC Fantasia -voyage from Rio - Lisbon in Early April.

We are looking for help regards the MSC embarkation regards the required COVID Test needed 48 hours before embarkation as we are in Rio before the cruise .

Has anyone had experience of getting this test in Rio , where and costs? We are staying around Copacabana.

Is this even available at the port ?

Our agent and MSC just refer to the website which doesn’t solve the issue or give any advise on where you can actually get the test you need which is a laboratory certified antigen, PCR-rt test 

Edited by Jamesbambridge
Information missing

6 hours ago, Jamesbambridge said:

We are due to take the MSC Fantasia -voyage from Rio - Lisbon in Early April.

We are looking for help regards the MSC embarkation regards the required COVID Test needed 48 hours before embarkation as we are in Rio before the cruise .

Has anyone had experience of getting this test in Rio , where and costs? We are staying around Copacabana.

Is this even available at the port ?

Our agent and MSC just refer to the website which doesn’t solve the issue or give any advise on where you can actually get the test you need which is a laboratory certified antigen, PCR-rt test 

We are embarking in Santos. Same questions but for Santos. Our Roll call does not answer. 

Ivi

10 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I have found some names for some pharmacies. I guess it shall be possible.

Ivi

Best of luck, Ivi.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise (likewise to the OP).  We did that crossing on Preziosa a few years back.  Great cruise but predominantly Brazilians onboard.   

• Thanks 1

We are going in 5 days, I will try to update with location and price, if I remember 😇

Got these locations from TripAdvisor, pharmacies close to my hotel (Mirasol Copacabana) in Copacabana: 

COPACABANA - Avenida Nossa Senhora de Copacabana, 534 - Copacabana - Rio de Janeiro/R

DP COPACABANA - Avenida Nossa Senhora de Copacabana, 766 -

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 5:07 PM, Jamesbambridge said:

Did anyone do a test in RIo!

We did, we did pay 105 real a person at the pharmacy I mentioned above. MSC took photos of all papers, passports, COVID vaccination and test. 

Last cruise in October they didn't even want to see anything...

It's published on the website:  https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures/grand-voyages-msc-world-cruise

I received the information by email on 22nd March (I'm not starting in Brazil through) and wasn't sure if I believed it as the website had conflicting information.  Now everything has been updated though.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

We have just received from MSC a message indicating that for our MSC grandvoyage, starting from April 1st , no COVID test is required for embarkation if we are vaccinated.

Has somebody else received that message?

Ivi

Yes, I got an SMS message this morning... 

As of 1645z, the USA web site still shows the testing requirements.  Since we both got the message, and the UK website says no test (for those 12 and over) I'm not going to test before getting to Santos. Hopefully by then, all info will match.

Aloha,

John 

I’ve just had the text . It seems to specifically mention Brazil . The way I’m reading this is to get on board you just show your vaccination . 

no need to get a pcr in Brazil ? That’s the way I read it . Hope I don’t get to the port and find that not right 

good news but would have been nice to hear this a bit earlier than a few days before departure 

10 minutes ago, Jamesbambridge said:

I’ve just had the text . It seems to specifically mention Brazil . The way I’m reading this is to get on board you just show your vaccination . 

no need to get a pcr in Brazil ? That’s the way I read it . Hope I don’t get to the port and find that not right 

good news but would have been nice to hear this a bit earlier than a few days before departure 

There was never a need of a PCR for Brazil. For the Grand Voyage there was the requirement of either PCR or antigen. As per the message we have all received, there is no need of any kind of covid test anymore if we are vaccinated for our Grand Voyage.

Ivi

15 minutes ago, jcl410 said:

Yes, I got an SMS message this morning... 

As of 1645z, the USA web site still shows the testing requirements.  Since we both got the message, and the UK website says no test (for those 12 and over) I'm not going to test before getting to Santos. Hopefully by then, all info will match.

Aloha,

John 

Yes, my husband and me also got the message. We will not test in Santos anymore. Their message is valid imho. They might take some time to adjust the webpage. But since we have all received the message (ours was in German) I see no reason to test anymore.
Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

2 hours ago, jcl410 said:

As of 1645z, the USA web site still shows the testing requirements. 

As of 2000z, 31 March, the USA website is up to date, with the same information as the UK site.

Hurray!

Aloha,

John

On 3/31/2023 at 2:55 PM, jcl410 said:

As of 2000z, 31 March, the USA website is up to date, with the same information as the UK site.

Hurray!

Aloha,

John

I can see that info under the pre-cruise requirements on US website (#1). My GV isn't until end of Oct so I would not have received any message. (Ha Ha! The voyage is with MSC so messages are hit or miss--mostly miss.) I have been checking about once per month. When reading Terminal and Embarkation, I still see (#2). As usual for MSC, clear as mud. I want to think that "when required" is pretty much never for US residents as well as for most other nations. I was looking at the section GRAND VOYAGES & MSC WORLD CRUISE: TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. RESIDENTS.

image.thumb.png.6ea9809a333a7acc7a837d5d93a67715.png

#2image.thumb.png.729fe023b7f8b645639f1b29a795ee22.png

Edited by Rhea98