Travel from LHR to Bath

Is there a shuttle / train / shared car from the airport (British Airways) to Bath City Center? I did get a quote from Blackberry for that route, it was priced at 234 GBP.. That's quite a bit for 2 people, looking for a more cost-effective option. Also, I don't have a Bath hotel picked out yet, so any help with that is greatly appreciated too.

Thanks in Advance!

Trudy

Off the top of my head, the obvious public transport options are:

1. Train (Heathrow Express or Elizabeth Line) from Heathrow to London Paddington, then train from Paddington to Bath Spa.

2. Railair bus from Heathrow to Reading, then train from Reading to Bath Spa.

I think that there are also a few direct National Express coaches from Heathrow to Bath, and a few more indirect routes via Bristol (requiring a change onto a local bus). But the low frequency makes this less appealing. And if you have to change, you might as well take the train.

• Like 1

Heathrow to Bath is a 100 mile journey so no, a taxi or shared car will not be cheap. 

@Globaliserhas set out the train options and is correct in saying you will have to change as there are no direct services. 

National Express do run direct coaches 6 or 7 times a day (which can cost as little as £1 but the fares vary according to demand).

BUT there are big gaps in the schedule in the morning, AND they only run from Heathrow Central, the stop for Terminals 2 and 3.

A few British Airways flights do arrive at T3 but the vast majority use T5 which is a completely separate terminal and not served by the coaches to Bath.

So - check which terminal your flight arrives at. If it’s T5 you’d need to take a (free) train to Heathrow Central to pick up the coach there.

On balance I’d probably go for the train, even though it involves a change and will be pricier. It’s faster and far more frequent than the coach and the change at London Paddington is pretty straightforward.

• Like 1

We took the National Express (bus) directly from Heathrow to Bath.  Very cost effective!  While there, we stayed at Duke's Hotel.  It was lovely, and served a fabulous breakfast!  However, they do not have an elevator (as of 2019), so if you have mobility challenges you would need to book a lower floor room.  They did carry our luggage up and down the stairs.

We then took the train to Southampton for our cruise.  We took a taxi to the cruise port.  

FYI, the National Express or train tickets are less expensive the earlier you book them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, travl2day said:

Thanks so much! Is Duke's Hotel within walking distance to Bath City Center?

I agree with Cruisen Elf (I live in Bath). Dukes is on Great Pulteney Street, one of the most prestigious addresses in Bath, absolutely beautiful. It is centrally located and within easy walking distance of all the main sites. Other hotels you might want to look at include The Queensbury Hotel (which has Bath’s only Michelin Star restaurant, The Olive Tree) and The Gainsborough Bath Spa. 

• Like 2

Years ago, we simply rented a car at Heathrow. Used Sixt if I remember correctly.  Got heavily insured, however, and drove to Bath.  We also stopped at Stonehenge too.ly.    Drive to Stonehenge an hour or so then another hour to Bath.  Lovely day.  In fact, might do it again this year when we are in London a few days prior to our British Isles cruise this summer.  Just watch that driving on the left.  Years ago, we were able to touch the stones but I think that is not the case now.  A barrier fence or something up now, I read.  Will have to check that out.  Maybe someone know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pink845 said:

Years ago, we were able to touch the stones but I think that is not the case now.  A barrier fence or something up now, I read. 

No touching the stones anymore I'm afraid. But there are now better facilities including car parking (hidden from view of the stones) and - I think - a better but still small visitor centre. I love Stonehenge, but still remember my first sight of it from the main road feeling slightly underwhelmed. YMMV. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pink845 said:

Years ago, we simply rented a car at Heathrow. Used Sixt if I remember correctly.  Got heavily insured, however, and drove to Bath.  We also stopped at Stonehenge too.ly.    Drive to Stonehenge an hour or so then another hour to Bath.  Lovely day.  In fact, might do it again this year when we are in London a few days prior to our British Isles cruise this summer.  Just watch that driving on the left.  Years ago, we were able to touch the stones but I think that is not the case now.  A barrier fence or something up now, I read.  Will have to check that out.  Maybe someone know.

As a change,  how about go to Avebury,  and walking through (and touching) the stones there, and at the same time taking in Silbury Hill ?  The largest pre-historic artificial mound in Europe.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/silbury-hill/

You could also take in the historic market town of Marlborough,  and marvel at the engineering feat that is the Caen Hill  flight of locks.  

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit/caen-hill-locks/an-uphill-struggle-caen-hills-history

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

Hi 3Shelaghs,

We are going to fly into LHR, spend a few nights in Bath and embark in Southampton..

We thought about catching train from LHR to Bath and then relying on public trans. for our days in Bath and then taking the train to Southampton. But this may be an easier solution,

Did you pick up the car at LHR? Where did you do the drop off? Thanks for the info. 

We picked up car at T5 LHR, and made the circle, therefore dropping it back off at T5.

You can cover much more ground if renting vs trains/buses. I am sure there would be a drop off location in Southhampton. Just familarize yourself with parking signs etc, and make sure all your hotels have parking onsite. If you are planning only on Bath, then train might make more sense.