MSC Virtuosa 3rd - 10th March 2023

elmsliebev

We're just back from a week's cruise on Virtuosa, sailing from Southampton and calling at Hamburg, Zeebrugge, Rotterdam and Le Havre. It was our first MSC cruise though we have cruised with other lines eg Cunard, Marella, P&O. A few thoughts:

• we took the Eavesway coach to and from Blackpool. Excellent service and though it's a long day, it was all very comfortable and stress-free
  • embarkaton and dis-embarkation at Southampton were excellent, very quick. We had been given 4pm as the embarkation time but the coach had us there before 1pm. No problem boarding then. We were told by check-in staff that the ship wasn't full and 1200 passengers were getting on that day. People boarded at each port of call. We didn't get held up in any queues at any of the ports - though we didn't get up early so it may have been busier early on!
  • the ship has real wow factor. Loved the changing ceiling in the atrium and how they time it for when the shows come out. 
  • our cabin was excellent - Deck 12 aft balcony cabin. Even on a cold wintry cruise it was good to have fresh air whenever we wanted it. Our steward Raja was ninja-like - we rarely saw him but the cabin was immaculately clean every time we went back in! I asked for some tissues and facecloths and they were provided straightaway and replaced as needed. 
  • our cabin was very peaceful but the communal areas get very busy. I think it might be too busy when the ship is full, but in summer I'm guessing most people would be outside more. We coudn't always get a seat where we wanted but did find somewhere eventually. 
  • the entertainment is full on and great fun. We saw a couple of shows including one of the Carousel at Sea productions, Arkymea, which was superb. We tried a salsa class, and the musicians around the ship were good too. One place that seemed very crowded was the Virtuosa lounge where most of the activities were held. Again, in summer maybe these would be outside. 
  • Food - we pre-purchased 4 speciality restaurants & the Carousel show and enjoyed each one. I think the Sushi and Indochine were favourite but all were good. The main dining room (Minuetto) was absolutely fine and the staff lovely. They found me alcohol-free wine by the glass which was included in our alcohol-free drinks package and took good care of my husband's lactose intolerance (as did the speciality restaurants). The buffet was fine, plenty of choice but it got very busy at breakfast, especially on seadays. Hot savouries at afternoon tea time is something Cunard could learn from! The pizza was good and always available (until 2am apparently!) and the ice cream onboard is divine. 
  • as mentioned we had the alcohol-free drinks package which worked very well for us. Most of the cocktails were a bit sweet for me, but the staff happily made me AF Moscow Mules or tonic with fresh lime juice if I asked. Good coffee and great hot chocolate. 
  • we used the "MSC for me" app which was useful to see what was on rather than carrying the daily programme around, and also for checking any extras that we'd bought. 

We would definitely go with MSC again if the price was right, loved the mix of nationalities on board, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Happy to answer any questions. 

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Thanks for the review. We are going on her end of march, again our first cruise with MSC. Our first ever winter cruise. A few questions if you dont mind. 

How warm is it on the ship? 

How easy were the ports? You visited? 

The ship was wrm enough for me apart from the Butcher's Cut & Sushi which felt cold, so maybe a wrap or sweater to hand. Cabin aircon worked really well so we could get it to the temperature that we like. Disclaimer: I don't really feel the cold often! 

I've written another post with some port info but if you have any specific questions, just ask. They were all easy to get around. 

• Like 1

We were on the cruise as well(stayed on) and have done a couple of others

The ship was relatively quiet compared to holiday cruises that get packed with kids.

Around 3500pax it changes at every port full goes over 5500.

Virtuosa lounge gets the busiest as focus for a lot of events.

We never had a problem getting seats elsewhere sometimes a few min wait for people to move.

With UK bookings there is nearly always a drinks package offer,  £170 for premium extra on this trip(TA discount from £200)

Were surprised no tissues this time appeared when asked.

Today Hamburg it is very cold outside and with all the passenger movement on/off the Galleria has got very cold for shorts and t-shirt.

Hamburg is shut Sundays so shuttle, taxi or walk to Alter Elbtunnel.

Other ports are accessible by walking or public transport.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, insidecabin said:

We were on the cruise as well(stayed on) and have done a couple of others

The ship was relatively quiet compared to holiday cruises that get packed with kids.

Around 3500pax it changes at every port full goes over 5500.

Virtuosa lounge gets the busiest as focus for a lot of events.

We never had a problem getting seats elsewhere sometimes a few min wait for people to move.

With UK bookings there is nearly always a drinks package offer,  £170 for premium extra on this trip(TA discount from £200)

Were surprised no tissues this time appeared when asked.

Today Hamburg it is very cold outside and with all the passenger movement on/off the Galleria has got very cold for shorts and t-shirt.

Hamburg is shut Sundays so shuttle, taxi or walk to Alter Elbtunnel.

Other ports are accessible by walking or public transport.

Why do people wear shorts and t-shirts on a Winter cruise in Northern Europe?

Edited by Saab4444

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Thanks for the reply. I think we get to hamburg on a sunday 🤔 want to take the daughter to the miniature wonderland. Its open on sundays, so will prob have to take a taxi.

Our other ports are le harve and Cherbourg, later in the week. 

We took a Taxi (e20) in October from the port to get to Miniatur Wunderland. Purchased tickets on line and booked a behind the scenes tour, 

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Thanks for the reply. I think we get to hamburg on a sunday 🤔 want to take the daughter to the miniature wonderland. Its open on sundays, so will prob have to take a taxi.

This place is absolutely awesome and my daughters totally enjoyed it. So did I 🙂 

But it is also extremely popular, maybe more than any other place in Hamburg. Sunday is certainly worst, definitely book online well in advance! I think otherwise huge disappointment is almost guaranteed. 

And yes, Sunday is a disaster with public transport in Hamburg.If you don´t want to do the 4.5 km walk (that is enjoyable as soon as you reached the Elbe tunnel), you have to take a 10 km taxi ride. Foreigners are often cheated by not taking the shortest route. 

4 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Foreigners are often cheated by not taking the shortest route.

Oh, that would be embarrassing for me as a German. But maybe it only seems that way because you can't take the direct route, but have to cross the river Elbe. Just under 20€ would be OK for 3-4 people.

Edited by LiquidWu

37 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

On uber was coming up as 28-30 euros on a sunday. 🤔

The Germans have the crazy rules that Uber must be as expensive as a normal (and very expensive) taxi, so this is not surprising. But @LiquidWu certainly should know this better. 

30 Euros sounds normal to me for this route. I guess there is a much cheaper inside route while some taxi drivers "prefer" the outside. Advantage with Uber, at least you cannot be cheated. 

About the tunnel, that is a sight by itself. Actually it´s made for horse carriages 😄 Then it was used for cars, since many years it is under renovations and cars cannot go, only pedestrians and bicycles. Cars will be back some day. I would recommend to see it and walk it. Maybe you want to walk one way and take taxi for the other. If you are walking, after the tunnel you can take public transport (or taxi) to the Wunderland. Then the walking part is reduced to 3 km. Or even better, take a taxi from the cruise terminal to the tunnel. The walk through the tunnel and then along the river to the Wunderland is really something to enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Thanks all. I think we will be getting a taxi there and then a stroll back via the tunnel. Stopping to look around some shops and grab some food. Might be dragging the 9 year old by then lol. 😁

Most shops in Hamburg are closed on a Sunday, There are a few open around the Station, but not a lot of choice i'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, VTSFAN said:

Most shops in Hamburg are closed on a Sunday, There are a few open around the Station, but not a lot of choice i'm afraid.

The shops at the touristy area on the north side of the Elbe tunnel ("Landungsbrucken") will be open. And on the south side of the tunnel there is also a place to grab some food and drinks at the view point.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 7:01 AM, TrustyJ said:

My family and I are going on Virtuosa Mid-April.  I know it is a month away but were the water slides open yet on your cruise?  My boy will go on them regardless of temperature. 

I didn't notice, sorry. It was very cold and quite windy for most of the trip. Hopefully the weather will be better mid-April!

3 hours ago, SweetsugarNL said:

Got of the ship today with noro symptons. Be carefull! And i desinfect my hands all the time. 

Hopefully you will be ok 

Edited by sidari
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:41 PM, Saab4444 said:

Why do people wear shorts and t-shirts on a Winter cruise in Northern Europe?

Does not matter where a ship is most of the time inside they are the same temperatures.

Much more comfortable than longs.

Throw a fleece  on and the outside bars are usable when not windy.

Getting off its regular outside clothes.

Edited by insidecabin