Viking Christmas Cruises - how late do the ships stay docked?

Bethwte

I'm looking into my first river cruise after many on the more major ocean lines. I am used to seeing set times for when ships will be in each port, but can't seem to find that anywhere pre-booking. From what I understand, Viking sails mostly at night, but what I'd like to know specifically is if we'd have any time in any of the Christmas markets in the evening when they are all lit up. The itinerary we're looking at is the 12 day Christmas on the Rhine and Moselle in December. 

Any past experience with this would be great. And/or if anyone knows how far in advance one might be able to find docking times. 

Bethwte I have never sailed on Viking but have done quite a few river cruises. First of all search the information at the beginning of these River Cruise forums, lots of interesting stuff. Although you will find that non of the river cruise companies can give you a definitive time for mooring up or departure. The ships have to adhere to the directions of the person who is the ‘local moorings officer’. So timings will be around and about but could also be way off it depends on so many factors. I’m sure many Viking aficionados will try to help you out with more information.

Unfortunately Viking does not publish these times, that is standard with them and many other lines. German lines tend to be more forthcoming with publishing. As regards "lit up": check the times of sunset. If you are sailing later in December you will find that it is dark enough some time between 5pm and 6pm for the lights to come on.

River cruising is so different from ocean cruising we always say, so I also recommend reading the threads that Canal archive is referring to.

The Viking dailies are a great source of information, hopefully someone will be happy to post one for you. You could also go to the roll call of last year for that particular cruise to see if the info is in there.

If this itinerary runs over Christmas you need to know that 24th, 25th and 26th December are very festive days in Germany and reserved for the family and worshipping, so shops are closed from midday 24th and most Christmas markets are either closed for the season or only partially open. You would need to check each individual port. Closures may differ in France and the Netherlands.

notamermaid

I just want to add that if you have not booked yet - consider looking at other lines. Not sure where you are from but most Americans think that Viking "is the line" when in reality - there are a dozen or so lines and some other lines are more inconclusive and include more in their fares. They also have better payment arrangements than Viking. Viking definitely wins when it comes to advertising as their name is most popular.

On my river cruise - we did stay late and overnight for the markets. They are definitely special and fun. I hope you have an amazing time!

• Like 1