Make Wi-Fi calls with basic internet package?

treehugr

On 3/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, treehugr said:

We have the basic internet package with our cruise. Can anyone recently on a cruise (preferably Silhouette) answer as to whether they were able to make wi-fi calls on board using the basic internet package. Thank you. 

Not possible on Silhouette. X is clear that the basic is exactly that - it won't even let you post onto Cruise Critic.

• Thanks 1

I was on the premium internet plan ($10/day upgrade from basic plan included in our AC fare)

First of all, you have to set your phone to accept wifi calling while still on your cellular service.  Once you in airplane mode, you can't do that.

I put my iPhone 12 into airplane mode as soon as the Beyond left Port Everglades.  I received multiple robo-sales incoming calls while at sea, so I was still able to buy extended auto warranties and sign up for Medicare Advantage plans.  However, when my office called, it turned out I could hear them but they were unable to hear me clearly.  On one call, I walked the entire upper deck like the guy from the Verizon commercial saying "can you hear me now?"  Eventually, I hung up and texted them and we texted back and forth to complete our blessedly short conversation.

The next day, trying to talk to the office, I got a continuous "Unable to send text" message from my iphone.  I fell back to email, which seemed to work, but a little slower to actually have a conversation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, the penguins said:

Not possible on Silhouette. X is clear that the basic is exactly that - it won't even let you post onto Cruise Critic.

It actually is, as I stated in a previous post on this thread we were on Silhouette just a few weeks ago, party of four, all on basic plan and were able to make WhatsApp calls back and forth to Canada as well as send and receive emails, browse the internet and check in on CC. The app worked well for messaging to each other, I received a vibration on my Apple watch each time I received a new message which was helpful. Obviously this reception varies ship to ship as well as varying itineraries but we are proof that it actually is possible on at least Silhouette. So there’s hope for the OP. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

It actually is, as I stated in a previous post on this thread we were on Silhouette just a few weeks ago, party of four, all on basic plan and were able to make WhatsApp calls back and forth to Canada as well as send and receive emails, browse the internet and check in on CC. The app worked well for messaging to each other, I received a vibration on my Apple watch each time I received a new message which was helpful. Obviously this reception varies ship to ship as well as varying itineraries but we are proof that it actually is possible on at least Silhouette. So there’s hope for the OP. 

WhatsApp only works if the person you are calling has WhatApp  

Last year was the first time my WiFi calling didn't work in the Silhouette   

I went to the IT guys who were set up in the photo dept got in a LONG line  

We were told to download WhatsApp and I would be good to go 

Once loaded I was asked to call someone , I tried no luck 

Then they asked me if they had WhatsApp on their end, I said I had no idea

they told me it would show in my address book well 478 contacts and not one uses WhatsApp

WhatsApp is a Metta/Facebook app and lot of people just have nothing to do with Facebook anymore.

40 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Sounds great, just not our experience. The biggest problem,  which you also mentioned, is that the service varies depending on the ships position and is not something you can rely on.

6 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Sounds great, just not our experience. The biggest problem,  which you also mentioned, is that the service varies depending on the ships position and is not something you can rely on.

With StarLink this is much less of an issue these days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheMiz said:

WhatsApp only works if the person you are calling has WhatApp  

Last year was the first time my WiFi calling didn't work in the Silhouette   

I went to the IT guys who were set up in the photo dept got in a LONG line  

We were told to download WhatsApp and I would be good to go 

Once loaded I was asked to call someone , I tried no luck 

Then they asked me if they had WhatsApp on their end, I said I had no idea

they told me it would show in my address book well 478 contacts and not one uses WhatsApp

WhatsApp is a Metta/Facebook app and lot of people just have nothing to do with Facebook anymore.

Absolutely agree…fortunately the family have it so it worked for us. Something for future cruisers to think about if they think they may need to keep in touch with family or friends while away. Easy to download the app and use. Obviously wouldn’t be practical for work purposes. I no longer personally use Facebook but WhatsApp is handy when traveling and wanting ti actually speak to family and not just send an imessage. 

• Thanks 1