Bike Tour May 7 2023 Brooklyn Cruise port

smile145

I have seen there is a bike tour that closes many roads in NYC happening on 5/7/23.  I am specifically concerned with Brooklyn since there appears to be many roads closed in Brooklyn on that day.  I will be arriving back at the Brooklyn port that day on MSC Meraviglia. 

I know that many will also be trying to get to the port that day but I will have my car parked at the port.  Will I have trouble driving out of the port area with all the closed roads?  I will be trying to head north to New England.

Also, I noticed the advertisements say they will be holding part of the Bike Expo at the Brooklyn cruise terminal.  Just wondering how this will impact cruisers and what to expect from anyone who is local and familiar with this.

The 5BBBT typically uses the southbound lanes on the BQE - the northbound would most likely not be impacted.

There is nothing on the web page https://www.bike.nyc/events/td-five-boro-bike-tour/ indicating anything in or around Red Hook. 

I was a ride marshal on earlier versions of this ride - and back then there were no route diversions between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Verrazano Narrows bridge. [lower level closed to traffic]

11 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The 5BBBT typically uses the southbound lanes on the BQE - the northbound would most likely not be impacted.

There is nothing on the web page https://www.bike.nyc/events/td-five-boro-bike-tour/ indicating anything in or around Red Hook. 

I was a ride marshal on earlier versions of this ride - and back then there were no route diversions between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Verrazano Narrows bridge. [lower level closed to traffic]

Thank you for your response.  It's good to know that North may not be impacted but it will be hard for others to get to the port that are leaving on the cruise that day.  In terms of what I was referring to at the cruise port itself, I saw this online "The event also includes festivities at Bike Expo held at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal."

The Bike Expo web page itself https://gfny.com/nyc-bike-expo-2023-held-may-19-20/ states that it will be held in Fort Lee NJ

For the third year, the expo will be held in Fort Lee, NJ, where it will be located directly at the center of GFNY World Championship Headquarters during race week. Visitors benefit from a prime location with easy access from America’s most-traveled bike route on Hudson Terrace in Fort Lee, NJ. The expo will be more integrated with race HQ activities, including the close proximity to the start/finish point of the pre-race group rides.

30 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

The Bike Expo web page itself https://gfny.com/nyc-bike-expo-2023-held-may-19-20/ states that it will be held in Fort Lee NJ

For the third year, the expo will be held in Fort Lee, NJ, where it will be located directly at the center of GFNY World Championship Headquarters during race week. Visitors benefit from a prime location with easy access from America’s most-traveled bike route on Hudson Terrace in Fort Lee, NJ. The expo will be more integrated with race HQ activities, including the close proximity to the start/finish point of the pre-race group rides.

Thank you!  That sounds like that portion won't impact cruisers.  So it will just be those trying to get to the port that day that will need to look at road closures.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 9:23 AM, smile145 said:

Thank you!  That sounds like that portion won't impact cruisers.  So it will just be those trying to get to the port that day that will need to look at road closures.  

Yes, that's me, coming from the north. It is looking like a nightmare. Wish I know this when I booked and I would have waited a week!!  A ferry might be the easiest. Or thinking of finding a hotel....and of course they all have their highest rates because of the crowds.

Lets hope it's not too terrible, but probably should plan for the worst.  Good luck!!