Wind Star vs Wind Spirit—Panama Canal 2024

salmn

We were booked in 18 day Costa Rica to Barbados but had to cancel because of DH emergency surgery. We are looking at booking same cruise next March and see that Wind Star and Wind Spirit are doing the same itinerary a week apart. Only difference is Star goes to Curaçao while Spirit skips Curaçao and overnights in Granada. We sailed on the Spirit in Tahiti and loved it, so are wondering if we should  try the Wind Star. Anyone who has sailed on both and would help by giving their experience would be welcome. Thanks for your help.

The ships are virtually identical. The only difference is the Wind Star has a small covered deck behind the lounge. We like to sit in this area going through the canal to stay out of the direct sun. But other than that choose the itinerary or dates that work for you. 

• 4 months later...

We have cruised on both ships and did the Panama Canal on the Wind Star... great trip.  For about all practical purposes, the two ships are identical.  

We like the "sailing" ships, although as I like to say" "The sails are for show, not for go."  We are scheduled for our first Star* cruise in about a month, around Iceland.  I thought the greater interior spaces of the Star* ships might be an advantage in the Iceland climate.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:47 AM, AmateurGO said:

I thought the greater interior spaces of the Star* ships might be an advantage in the Iceland climate.

This is exactly where we have settled. I like the outdoor spaces much better on the sailing ships, but really enjoy the larger cabin and indoor spaces on the motor ships. 

Generally I have great weather Karma, so fingers crossed from Iceland to Montréal. I have sailed the N. Atlantic with my father, mostly grim. I still have hope. I love outside, fresh air so heres hoping. I am sure I can find a nook but agree the sailboats have great spaces.  We also have a FR balcony for my air. Hoping for lots if outside time, Québec normally has great falls. We adore the St. Lawrence. We are excited. 
Happy Sailing