This is just too dumb for words - Suing the cruise line because you missed the ship

Passengers Miss Ship, Sue Cruise LineFive passengers sailing on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas in the Eastern Caribbean are suing the cruise line. The reason? They missed the ship while in the port of St. Maarten. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the attorney for the travelers, based in Utah, suggests, that cruise lines "ought to have a program or policy in place of what to do when you leave somebody behind."

Alas. One cruise industry insider remarked upon hearing about the lawsuit that she couldn't believe the lawyer even took the case. That's because it couldn't be spelled out more clearly -- not on only the cruise ticket contracts, which are legal documents, but also in numerous cruise feature stories -- that folks who miss their ship in port are required to get themselves to the next one. And at their own expense.

One caveat to this rule is that cruise lines won't leave if one of their own shore excursions is late returning -- and indeed in that case would be responsible for transporting passengers to the next port of call.

Otherwise, the onus is on passengers. "The kids missed the ship and it's hard to put it more simply than that," says Royal Caribbean spokesman Michael Sheehan. "It's unfortunate, yes. However, our guests have the responsibility to get back to the ship on time."

Ships do have systems in place, Sheehan notes, that alert them to passengers who have not returned onboard by the time designated by the ship. Often, they'll begin by paging the missing passengers, just in case the computer system somehow missed their return. At that point, the ship provides its port agent with names of folks who did not board -- all ships in all ports of call have port agents -- and these folks can provide on-the-ground support to some degree.

"There are times when you might be able to delay your departure," Sheehan says, "but that is so dependent on a number of circumstances. Issues that have to be weighed include weather, distance to the next port, labor policies of this port, and even berth factors -- if another ship is waiting to dock."

It's better to take precautions, he says, just in case. Among the tips he offers:

star2.bmp Carry with you a photocopy of your passport (or the real thing), as different islands and countries (especially in the Caribbean and Europe) often have varying requirements.

star2.bmp Carry credit cards in case you have to fork out for hotel stays and airplane tickets.

star2.bmp Most ships' daily newsletters will include information about the port agent (telephone number and location); take that with you.

And if the thought occurs to you, as you race up to the pier and see your ship, a mere 40 feet away, steaming out of the harbor, that you might be able to get a speedboat to take you out there, Sheehan demurs. "It's difficult and dangerous enough for even pilots who get onboard big ships from small ones every day. With passengers there would be extremely significant safety issues."

While the story in the Salt Lake City Tribune reports that the attorney has filed the lawsuit, Royal Caribbean notes it has not yet been served.

MY REPLY = WOW....

I wonder if I can sue my state's road department because the lights are timed incorrectly and I have to stop for them, and it made me late for work on Tuesday.

These people obviously have no sense of responsibilty.

No BS - this is true. The last time we were in Grand Cayman, we were in such a hurry to get off the ship and get to our excusion with the stingrays, we didn't take squat - no visa, little cash, on and on, We actually (other than our passports) had nada with us. The excursion company let us go on the trip (we sent all info in advance in terms of payment thankfully).

When we think back, it wasn't organized by RCCL, we did it from home. We were sooo stupid - we actually almost didn't make it back on time - the tendering was real tough as a result of high winds. Close call. Whew.

To this day I blame my wife.................whats that dear?....myself:(

BECAUSE- he is related! to them- Oh :eek: my!! HE was on the cruise! it was HIS kids:eek: ! Anyone want to take bets that they want a free cruise as compensation???:cool: Gotta love the american legal system!

Looks like you posted while I was typing the same thing!

The cost of these lawsuits no matter how frivolous, however, results in MY cruise prices going up (and in CDN $$$) as RCI must retain legal factories, media consultants, etc. to defend themselves. It gets annoying real fast.

As my DH always says when something is in print -Read the f*** manual.:mad: Isn't it spelled out in the documents from RCCL what they will and won't do for you? And don't you sign agreeing with these rules? Oh for the days of personal responsibility!:(

Amazing and why am I not surprised. Did it say how old these kids were, why did they miss the ship and where were the parents? So many questions. It's really amazing how people blame everyone else for their own stupidity.

The lawyer / father / idiot obviously didn't read anything before he filed the lawsuit. They DO have policies in place: you see the port agent. He's usually waiting where the ship used to be when you arrive!!

You know, it's kinda basic before you leave ANYWHERE: keys? check; credit card(s)? check; emergency info? check; id? check......these people are looking really unintelligent.

As my DH always says when something is in print -Read the f*** manual.:mad: Isn't it spelled out in the documents from RCCL what they will and won't do for you? And don't you sign agreeing with these rules? Oh for the days of personal responsibility!:(

What you said! And yes, there IS a procedure in place in case you miss the ship and you're left behind...it's called "you are responsible for your self and you are now on your own". UGH.

Can't anyone just admit that they made a mistake and get on with their life without suing? This has become such a litigious society, it's absolutely disgusting.

This happened at Christmas in 2004???? "Babcock took his wife, four sons and daughter-in-law on the Caribbean cruise during the week of Christmas 2004. He filed the lawsuit on behalf of three sons who were left behind at St. Martin island and his wife and daughter-in-law for their distress.

" http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_3587230

Why did they wait so long to file? Though if your progeny are dumb enough to not bring their ID with them off the ship and to fail to make sure they are back to the port in time to get on board, I guess he must run on the same clock as his sons. What happened to taking responsibility for your own actions?

I was in St Thomas last June and was watching the activity from my balcony as we got ready for dinner. There was a ship behind us that apparently was nearing departure time. There were two people VERY liesurely making their way back towards that ship...no hurry whatsoever. And the crew started pulling in the gangway. Those two started RUNNING for the ship. I couldn't help but laugh...they found out the whole world didn't wait just for them.

They are not suing because RCCL left them there, they say RCCL gave them the wrong info when they were trying to get to the next port. Port agents said one thing, ship said another. Seems like they took responsibility for missing the ship and did make it to the next port but RCCL gave them a hard time when they wanted to board. Still not a good reason to sue.

This is a little off the Cruise ship subject but it goes to show that people will sue over anything.

Elderly Man Sued for Stopping at Stop Sign

- Atlanta, USA

In a case possibly first of its kind, 67 year old Arthur Thompson is being sued by 32 year old Lynn Manaouski for stopping at a 4-way stop sign. In her statement she described how she came up to the intersection leading into her downtown condo, and rear ended the driver in front of her due to his 'complete and full stop'. She continues to say that of the almost 2 years of living in that particular condominium complex, she had not once been behind someone who had made a full stop at the stop sign, and that his inability to be 'consistent with typical driving patterns' caused the accident. As a result, she is convinced that Mr. Thompson is directly responsible for the accident and should be held accountable for all incurred costs of repair to both vehicles. When reminded that it is the law to make a complete stop at a stop sign, her abrupt response was "I am quite capable of deciding when it is a good or bad time to stop my vehicle."

Are they not also past the 12 month cut-off for filing legal action (as noted in the passenger ticket) - plus do they not have to file in Miami as opposed to Utah -

yes they do and there will be a motion to dismiss plus one for filing a frivilous lawsuit....

Archived