American Jazz in the Delta

jdellachiesa

Thought I'd share some pictures of our chase of the American Jazz around the delta the last couple weeks! Hoping to chase it this week between Sacramento and Rio Vista.  

My kids have loved seeing a cruise ship so close to home, although it's been mentioned several times that the ship needs something more on for it's livery - my 7 year old has asked a couple times why the American Cruise Lines flag logo isn't on the hull! 

PXL_20230304_225839353~2.jpg

PXL_20230304_205839754~2.jpg

PXL_20230304_225320427_exported_29410~2.jpg

PXL_20230304_212645174~2.jpg

PXL_20230312_001300409.jpg

PXL_20230304_213106328~2.jpg

PXL_20230302_200302213~2.jpg

PXL_20230304_212923742~2.jpg

PXL_20230302_195425807~3.jpg

PXL_20230312_001712669.jpg

PXL_20230304_223258325~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the pictures!  Thought I'd see Princess in your signature, after the remark about the plain white hulls...  Actually most ships are liveried similar to ACL; Princess and NCL are the exceptions.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for the pictures!  Thought I'd see Princess in your signature, after the remark about the plain white hulls...  Actually most ships are liveried similar to ACL; Princess and NCL are the exceptions.

I actually much preferred the Princess livery when it was plain white!! I miss that!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been tracking Jazz throughout cruise #3, and am having trouble figuring out the itinerary.  The cruise started as advertised, heading down the Sacramento River, then up the San Joaquin River to Stockton.  After leaving Stockton, the ship headed back west, passed Vallejo, and anchored on the west side of the Napa River, just above the bridge on the north side of Vallejo.  There it remained that night and all the next day (this was probably when passengers would have been motor-coached to San Francisco).

But the next day Jazz retraced her route back east, stopping for the night at Isleton (pop 800), not too far from Sacramento.  This was the day advertised as “Cruising Napa River” day.   Next day she retraced her route back west, again passing Vallejo, and continuing a little farther north on the Napa River to Cuttings Wharf.  Cuttings Wharf is a boat launching spot about 7 miles south of Napa.  The ship remained there the next day (this was probably when passengers would have motor-coached to the Napa excursions).

Now the ship is retracing her route back east yet again, for the final stop in Sacramento.

So it seems the two “Cruising” days are really “Retrace our Same Route” days

At no time did I see Jazz continuing farther west to San Francisco Bay, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, etc., as shown on the website map.  Another oddity:  The website map shows two motor-coach trips:  A  short one between Vallejo and San Francisco, and a long one between Vallejo and Sacramento.  No idea when the long one would be for.

I wonder if the bad weather California has been experiencing is affecting the itinerary.

• Like 1

Seems like this short inaugural season is over almost before it begins.  Jazz is at a marine engineering dock in Richmond.  Per the current catalog, Jazz is supposed to begin first Columbia & Snake River cruise April 10th, but this cruise and the next one have disappeared from the website.  Next cruise per the website is now April 24th.

What seems really odd is that ALL of the Nov 2023 through Apr 2024 Napa Valley cruises have abruptly been disabled on website.  No bookings possible.  Not sure what this means for those (like me) already booked on one of these cruises.  Yet a complete set of sailing dates have been added for 2025, all of which are bookable. 

On 4/3/2023 at 9:24 AM, DaveinCharlotte said:

What seems really odd is that ALL of the Nov 2023 through Apr 2024 Napa Valley cruises have abruptly been disabled on website.  No bookings possible.  Not sure what this means for those (like me) already booked on one of these cruises.  Yet a complete set of sailing dates have been added for 2025, all of which are bookable. 

My 4/12/24 cruise abruptly vanished from my ACL Account, confirming that these cruises have in fact been cancelled.   Went to the website, and found that it has just been updated.  All of the now-invalid Nov '23 through Apr '24 cruises are gone, along with the 2025 cruises.  What appears now is a weekly cruise schedule starting 8/05/24 and continuing through 12/30/24.  The first two are disabled, but all starting 8/19/24 onward are bookable.  Cruises from 11/04/24 on are slightly cheaper.

Called and got rebooked on one of these.  Agent said "we would have notified you in a week or two, but you got to us first."  If you have a reservation for this cruise, act soon to ensure you get a suitable new date.