MSC - Ships Time Question.

surfjock27

Hi fellow cruisers. 

First time cruising with MSC this weekend. 
On other cruise lines we’ve always kept our

time the entire week, based on where we cruise out of. However, I’ve seen some posts talking about people changing their times based on the time zone the ship is in. 

We are leaving Miami on the Seascape, so are we on Miami time the entire cruise? I don’t want to get left behind in a port. LOL

Thanks in advance. 

We are on the same cruise.  According to the most recent sailing of our itinerary, they changed time after the Nassau stop.  However, they did not change back because they returned the Sunday we entered daylight savings time.  So, my guess is that we will not change time on our cruise…  We shall see.

MSC uses the local port's time.  If the destination port is in a different time zone the ship will change to that zone's time during the night and remains at that local port's time for the entire port day.  The ship's time will only change again when the next destination port is in a different time zone.  The ships are pretty good at getting the word out about the time changes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 4:56 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Every cruise line I've ever been on including MSC switches to the local time at each port.

Carnival uses the embarkation port time thruout the cruise. so this is not necessarily true.  To the op, great question!

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Carnival uses the embarkation port time thruout the cruise. so this is not necessarily true.  To the op, great question!

I can't speak to your experiences, but we were on Carnival Legend from Baltimore to Bermuda a few months ago and the ship moved clocks one hour later to Atlantic time. Likewise, one month earlier on Carnival Magic from NYC to Atlantic Canada, the ship moved clocks ahead one hour for the Atlantic time zone. 

Until these threads this morning, I had no idea some cruise ships didn't change to the local port times. I have been on cruises with NCL, Celebrity, and Princess so far and all have changed to local port times. I will find out for myself about MSC in a few weeks I guess!

On 3/16/2023 at 3:05 PM, surfjock27 said:

Hi fellow cruisers. 

First time cruising with MSC this weekend. 
On other cruise lines we’ve always kept our

time the entire week, based on where we cruise out of. However, I’ve seen some posts talking about people changing their times based on the time zone the ship is in. 

We are leaving Miami on the Seascape, so are we on Miami time the entire cruise? I don’t want to get left behind in a port. LOL

Thanks in advance. 

they give plenty of notice...

• Like 1

I've been to Bermuda several times on several different cruise lines. Some changed the hour and some did not. On the longer 7-day cruise with overnighting in Bermuda, we did change the time on NCL and Carnival. On a shorter 5-day cruise we didn't change with Carnival. 

YMMV might be up to the ship Captian to change or not. It is all well posted and even had a little slip of paper left on the bed in the towel animal's arms for both time changes which were done at night. 

Not so happy crew losing an hour off of work. 

56 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

I've been to Bermuda several times on several different cruise lines. Some changed the hour and some did not. On the longer 7-day cruise with overnighting in Bermuda, we did change the time on NCL and Carnival. On a shorter 5-day cruise we didn't change with Carnival. 

YMMV might be up to the ship Captian to change or not. It is all well posted and even had a little slip of paper left on the bed in the towel animal's arms for both time changes which were done at night. 

Not so happy crew losing an hour off of work. 

Not to mention if one is trying to plan an excursion with an independent tour company......