Silver Moon Transatlantic Mar. 16 - 28, 2023 Travelogue

ggo85

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  the menus in SALT are based on itinerary so the menu they are having on the Moon may not be anything like the menu for your cruise on the Dawn (just to let you know).

Thanks Lois . I figured as much , but was wondering how many options they offered. Is it just one meal option per evening? I’m curious what variety of offerings  they would have on a circumnavigational cruise of UK/Ireland. I guess we will find out soon enough! 

Thanks ggo85 for the info. Nice to know they have some nice specials in Atlantide, including chicken dishes. My mom prefers chicken, but during our last  2 SS cruises , chicken dishes were very limited. 

enjoy! 

4 hours ago, ggo85 said:

An unrelated note for sports fans out there . . . we lost ESPN around Day 4. So no March Madness for us.

Well, you didn't miss out because of losing ESPN — because March Madness (the US college basketball championship tournament) isn't on ESPN! (The tournament is broadcast on CBS and TBS.)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Well, you didn't miss out because of losing ESPN — because March Madness (the US college basketball championship tournament) isn't on ESPN! (The tournament is broadcast on CBS and TBS.)

Yup!  But, I wonder if ggo85 was maybe referring to the Men’s NIT or Women’s NCAA Tournament since ESPN has the broadcast rights to that portion of March Madness I believe.

They were broadcasting some games on “ESPN Caribbean.”  Men only.  First Sat/Sun only. We know because we watched a bit of it and it was definitely ESPN on SS.  Assume some arrangement among the networks to broadcast ex-US. No ABC, CBS, etc at all.  

For news, FOX and MSNBC on the US side. Lots of UK channels. 

For chicken in Atlantide, be aware most dishes have been Indian. For example, last night was peri-peri chicken. I’ve not seen basic roast chicken or chicken cordon bleu, etc., at least in Atlantide. I would think that, if you requested a basic chicken dish a night in advance, you might be able to get it, since they obviously have chicken. 

12 hours ago, bobolz said:

Thanks Lois . I figured as much , but was wondering how many options they offered. Is it just one meal option per evening? I’m curious what variety of offerings  they would have on a circumnavigational cruise of UK/Ireland. I guess we will find out soon enough! 

Thanks ggo85 for the info. Nice to know they have some nice specials in Atlantide, including chicken dishes. My mom prefers chicken, but during our last  2 SS cruises , chicken dishes were very limited. 

enjoy! 

Good morning, there are multiple options on the menu...so yes you get a variety of choices. It is a multiple page menu.

4 hours ago, ggo85 said:

For chicken in Atlantide, be aware most dishes have been Indian. For example, last night was peri-peri chicken. I’ve not seen basic roast chicken or chicken cordon bleu, etc., at least in Atlantide. I would think that, if you requested a basic chicken dish a night in advance, you might be able to get it, since they obviously have chicken. 

Thanks @ggo85for your travelogue. If you give the MD or one of the Head Waiters 24 hours notice, and it’s available, they will produce almost anything that you wish for. For instance, if you like hot Foei Gras it can be provided for lunch or dinner.

Today in Ponte Delgado.  Morning weather was rainy and cool.

I did the Fire Lake excursion. Not the best excursion, but no one’s fault.  We first stopped in Ribiera Grande, a town square with buildings from (I think) the 18th C.   Easy walk around but not great for those with scooters.  

Then onto the lake.  However, one of the two buses broke down on the way there. So, our bus took on all of the stranded passengers.  Every seat was full and the hosts and one guide had to stand.  Took about 20 minutes to make the change.  

By the time we got to the cauldron, the lake was obscured by clouds.  I got one pic sort of but it was a lost cause due to weather.  I’m sure it’s beautiful when the weather cooperates but nothing to see when it doesn’t.  We then traveled to a pineapple plantation. Indoor pineapples.  Actually pretty interesting and included a taste of pineapple liqueur and actual pineapple.  Both were quite good.  The best news is that another bus had arrived, so the stranded folks could go back to their own bus and both groups could spread out. 

There was a gift store at the pineapple place and my first thought was: Oh no, tourist trap.  But it was very high quality stuff and prices were decent. I actually wish we’d had a bit more time there. 

Back at the port, not much is open Saturday after 1 pm (and the delay due to the bus issue meant it was 1:00 when we got back).  After lunch, I walked around town for a bit - easy walking distance from the ship. Interesting architecture, but the town was dead due to day / time of day.  

Will try to post some pix later.  Two more sea days and we’re done. 

Edited by ggo85
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, there are multiple options on the menu...so yes you get a variety of choices. It is a multiple page menu.

Thanks Lois looking forward to see what they offer. Frankly looking forward to simply getting on the ship ! 😊

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 6:03 PM, Lvshack said:

100 years this month 450 passengers on board Cunard line Laconia stepped ashore in new York...🚢🥂.. oh such  glamorous days .. 

You can still do a Cunard World Voyage! Two if their liners are in the middle of their cruises at the moment. 

Edited by NE John

11 minutes ago, NE John said:

You can still do a Cunard World Voyage! Two if their liners are in the middle of their cruises at the moment. 

I did 9 nights on QM2 (finishing last Tuesday) as part of her current World Cruise.  900 pax doing the whole WC.  Nothing like as elegant as the picture above, although dancing is still extremely popular and the Queen’s Room full at night.  But oh my goodness how boring!  I could hardly wait to get off!  A small ship is much more active, much more social and much more enjoyable.

P.S.  Queen Mary 2 is the last cruise liner still in service.  I believe the other two are cruise ships.

Edited by Port Power

12 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I did 9 nights on QM2 (finishing last Tuesday) as part of her current World Cruise.  900 pax doing the whole WC.  Nothing like as elegant as the picture above, although dancing is still extremely popular and the Queen’s Room full at night.  But oh my goodness how boring!  I could hardly wait to get off!  A small ship is much more active, much more social and much more enjoyable.

P.S.  Queen Mary 2 is the last cruise liner still in service.  I believe the other two are cruise ships.

I don’t mean to detour from OP’s excellent report, but I understand what you’re saying; the QM2 is not for everyone: it’s large, unique in layout, and quite British. I’ll be on another TA on QM2 in June after a busy UK tour so a boring/tranquil week is OK with me…

I enjoy reading this report and compare another TA experience. It’s fun to read about the same issues centered on dress code and internet. 

This TA sounds really nice and Thank You!

Edited by NE John

Today is our eighth sea day and second to last cruise day. 🙁

Weather is pleasant but cool — too cool for the veranda although you could sit in a sheltered locale and be ok.  Got me thinking about advice for those who’ve never done a TA and are considering one.  The below are my views — YMMV. 

1.  You must LOVE sea days.  Look forward to them.  The kind of person who often stays onboard when the ship is in port.  10/12 days is a lot of time at sea and many TAs are longer. We’ve absolutely loved every minute, but I’ve heard a few passengers saying it was too much and, but for the really nice days at the outset, would not have enjoyed it.  If, for you, sea days are just a break between fascinating ports, you’re probably not going to like a lengthy TA. 

2.  You must be able and willing to entertain yourself.  This means reading, doing puzzles, watching movies, doing needlepoint or knitting, binge-watching that (downloaded) series you’ve never had time for, etc.  You need to make at least some of your own fun.  

3.  The above is especially true on SS.  The reason it’s a long trip and, as most know, there is no indoor pool, no putt-putt golf, no big screen, no glass-making, etc. that are found on larger ships.   As I’ve mentioned previously, there are many hours during the day when there are zero scheduled activities.  So, you need to find ways to keep yourself occupied.  I’m happy just watching the waves, but some would be bored out of their minds. 

4. You can’t count on good weather to help you out. We were blessed with 5 days of gorgeous weather and no rain on sea days. It could just have easily been crappy weather the entire time.  

5. Ports are chosen mostly because they’re en route, not necessarily because they’re interesting. If you like unique and interesting ports, a TA probably won’t give you that.  Of course, you can do a B2B or spend time in your destination/arrival area. But the TA ports are mostly a break from the monotony and a chance to resupply.  

The above is not in any way meant to disparage a TA.  We loved it so much that we just booked another for next year! (not on SS as the itineraries/schedule for 2024 didn’t work for us).  We love simply taking a break from the mundane of home and work and love being at sea. But a TA isn’t for everyone.   Definitely consider YOUR preferences before taking the plunge. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

If, for you, sea days are just a break between fascinating ports, you’re probably not going to like a lengthy TA. 

I’m not too familiar with SS (Cunard POV) so here are a few question:

Was this TA marketed by SS as a full TA experience or repositioning cruise? Does SS offer TA’s regularly? 

I’ve heard that some travelers are disappointed with repositioning cruises because the onboard activities aren’t as robust and available vs. a full TA crossing. 

What were your expectations going into this TA in terms of keeping busy/relaxing/etc?

This was marketed as a TA. However, for SS, that means a repositioning. That’s the only time they do them. IMO, the number of activities is the same as a sea day on a regular cruise. However, on a “regular” cruise, there are lots of port days, so a sea day without a lot going on is a refreshing change.  On this cruise, it’s almost all sea days. 

We’ve never done a Cunard TA.  However, they are much shorter and the ships much larger, so more going on.  Not saying it’s better than SS — but some may prefer that approach.  We wanted the longer, more relaxing cruise, so we were happy. 

For the most part, what we expected is what we got.  So definitely met our expectations.  My only surprises were that there were somewhat fewer activities during the day and fewer musical options in the evening than I’d expected.  But in no way a major issue for us. I got through a lot of books and jigsaw puzzles!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ggo85 said:

got through a lot of books and jigsaw puzzles!  

We are taking our second QM2 TA this summer and am considering a TA this fall or next on SS and have a few questions. 

1) where did you do jigsaw puzzles. I’m an avid puzzler? Space seems limited in the cabin. Did you bring your own or were they available onboard?

2) The QM2 is an ocean liner and well designed for ocean crossings. How was the Moon at handling the seas? Though it does appear you had calm seas most of the way. My first (Hubby crossed multiple times on the SS United States) we encountered gale force winds. 

We prefer to sail home part way from Europe verses fly even though we still have to make our way west after arrival. 

Thank you for your travelogue. I have really enjoyed following along. 

Today in Lisbon was grey clouds at sunrise but a perfect blue sky day later. High 21C (70F).

Forecast the same for the next 3 days.

Unfortunately you are scheduled to berth at 0400 so we will miss you sailing past our window.

• Like 1

There are a couple of jigsaw puzzles in the Observation library on Deck 11.  I have my own on my IPad.  There is a  daily crossword available in the Arts Cafe. It’s challenging but not insurmountable.  

This ship obviously won’t handle seas as well as the Queens. That said, the stabilizers work well and we’ve been ok in sea state 2-3.  I think you’ll be fine on this itinerary if you don’t have a storm or high sea state. We did a southern crossing. I think Moon would have more challenges in the North Atlantic this time of year, which is why most cruise ships don’t attempt it.😀

1 hour ago, ggo85 said:

There are a couple of jigsaw puzzles in the Observation library on Deck 11.  I have my own on my IPad.  There is a  daily crossword available in the Arts Cafe. It’s challenging but not insurmountable.  

This ship obviously won’t handle seas as well as the Queens. That said, the stabilizers work well and we’ve been ok in sea state 2-3.  I think you’ll be fine on this itinerary if you don’t have a storm or high sea state. We did a southern crossing. I think Moon would have more challenges in the North Atlantic this time of year, which is why most cruise ships don’t attempt it.😀

Thank you for the response, very much appreciated. 

Fascinated about jigsaw on the ipad. I will have to look into that, would sure save space. 

That is a good point about the northern verses the southern route. Our considerations are Lisbon to NYC on the Nova Oct-Nov 2023 or Lisbon to Miami on the Moon Nov 2024. Just depends on our schedule and availability when we can commit. 

13 minutes ago, JSR said:

Thank you for the response, very much appreciated. 

Fascinated about jigsaw on the ipad. I will have to look into that, would sure save space. 

That is a good point about the northern verses the southern route. Our considerations are Lisbon to NYC on the Nova Oct-Nov 2023 or Lisbon to Miami on the Moon Nov 2024. Just depends on our schedule and availability when we can commit. 

You might look at the Dawn, Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale in Nov 2023 if you want a warmer and more southerly crossing.

12 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

You might look at the Dawn, Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale in Nov 2023 if you want a warmer and more southerly crossing.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is not an option as it returns after Thanksgiving which makes me realize that the Moon in 2024 is not an option either. I guess it is Nova, 2023 or no TA back. It is ok, we will find something I am sure. 🙃

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 4:07 PM, ggo85 said:

Some may wonder about activities on a TA sea day.  Rather than trying to scan Chronicles, I’ll hit the highlights for today. 

There are a number of fitness activities- yoga, Pilates, abs.  Shuffleboard, table tennis, and golf putting tournaments   

Medispa stuff - foot analysis, skin transformation, acupuncture— that sort of thing. About 5-6 of those. 

Wine tasting (would have gone but it conflicted with spa appt). Future voyages talk. 2 SALT demos. Enrichment lecture on back stage musicals (also conflicted with spa). Bingo. Team trivia. Bridge lessons for beginners and intermediate. Dance class. 

It was a lovely day, so I opted for sun and swimming in pool. Water is great temp. Walked on the deck.  Figure the weather will get worse so taking advantage of the good weather days while we have them. 

Lunch at grill yesterday and pizza today.  Hamburger was great but too much food for me.  Agree with poster on another thread that lunch pizza size is perfect. I had white pizza with mushrooms and it was wonderful.  Service is very good.  Pool bar service is excellent.  We don’t need much, but the server remembered I like ice water and brought it w/o my having to ask.  On Day 2. Impressive.