Discovery Princess Night Themes

ShamelesslyCruising

We are experienced cruisers, but new to Princess and certainly the Discovery Princess.  I’d like to know if they have any night themes.  It seems there is Love Boat white and gold night.  Is there an 80s night?  Just wanting to be prepared.  I couldn’t find a week of Princess Patters to check.  Any direction would be appreciated.

While you will see various references to themes...you will rarely see a lot of participation, at least on itineraries *other* than Caribbean-based cruises.  Even then you probably will not see much.  We are just off a partial Panama Canal transit...almost no night life *on the decks* (and we had VERY comfortable temps!)   Now...at the bars or in whatever "nightclub" type area the ship has that will be a bit different...but those will not be an organized event (usually).

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

While you will see various references to themes...you will rarely see a lot of participation, at least on itineraries *other* than Caribbean-based cruises.  Even then you probably will not see much.  We are just off a partial Panama Canal transit...almost no night life *on the decks* (and we had VERY comfortable temps!)   Now...at the bars or in whatever "nightclub" type area the ship has that will be a bit different...but those will not be an organized event (usually).

That's comparing apples to oranges. The PC cruises are longer and a much older crowd, most who stand off to the side and watch. Discovery is based out of LA, and the 7 night sailings have a lot more energy and it's a younger crowd. 

We had a white and gold night, a couple formal nights, and that's about it. They have separate 80's cruises where you can break out the bangles and neon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

That's comparing apples to oranges. The PC cruises are longer and a much older crowd, most who stand off to the side and watch. Discovery is based out of LA, and the 7 night sailings have a lot more energy and it's a younger crowd. 

We had a white and gold night, a couple formal nights, and that's about it. They have separate 80's cruises where you can break out the bangles and neon. 

Apologies if I gave misleading info; I was simply making reference to the specific *last* cruise we did.  It was not meant to say that *all* cruises are the same.  You are correct in that the itinerary makes all the difference!  It appears that the the majority of itineraries that we choose seem to not follow the recipe like the LA based cruises.  We *rarely* see much participation at all on these themed deck parties.  Just sharing our own personal experiences...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all.  I’m understanding that there really aren’t any other themes beyond the White and Gold, which I think occurs on a formal night. Kudos to Princess for emailing in advance about that activity. I also understand that participation is low in general and no 80s night.

If anyone has anymore insight into Discovery Princess themes or recommended activities on 7 day sailing I would appreciate them.

4 hours ago, ShamelesslyCruising said:

Thank you all.  I’m understanding that there really aren’t any other themes beyond the White and Gold, which I think occurs on a formal night. Kudos to Princess for emailing in advance about that activity. I also understand that participation is low in general and no 80s night.

If anyone has anymore insight into Discovery Princess themes or recommended activities on 7 day sailing I would appreciate them.

We'll be on Discovery again next week. Think DuVaul is still the cruise director, and he's great fun. 

• Thanks 1

We had “tropical” as a theme on a 10 night cruise recently. That’s the only one I’ve ever seen except the white and gold party. On that itinerary, it was separate from formal nights not held on a formal night as it usually is.

• Thanks 1

We were on Discovery Princess 3/4-3/11 and there was a lot to do at night but no themed events other than the Gold Party in the Piazza. There were shows or acts in the main stage as well as the Vista Lounge and Princess Live. Of course there was also music in the Piazza with people dancing. Usually lots of people at these events with a lot of energy. 

Bob

• Thanks 1