Herculaneum

dickinson

We would like to go to Herculaneum (already been to Pompeii).  I read that you need to be able to walk a mile on cobblestone.  I have no problem walking a mile but what is it like on cobblestone? Because the cobblestone is old are they fairly flat or still rounded?

Cobblestone is bumpy to walk on and drive over. The surface is uneven, the gaps are inconsistent, and some stones may be broken, leaving divots where you might expect a flat, even surface. It looks really pretty and was incredibly useful when modern paving methods did not exist, but it’s impractical for people with walking issues or when dragging wheeled luggage around. 

Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes, pay attention to gaps in the stone, and don’t walk too quickly. Use more caution if it’s wet or icy.

Enjoy your visit!

The photo below basically gives you a good idea of what to expect. Some areas are a bit rougher, but maybe only 10% of the site would be more difficult than this. 

Do note, though, that the curbs are very high and if you are walking in the street you have to step up onto the curb in order to enter the houses and buildings. Occasionally there is a step to help but sometimes there isn't. In some places there is a narrow "sidewalk" along that upper strip (as shown on the left in the photo) but you may also find it blocked -- meaning a steep step down to the street and then a step back up after passing the obstacle...

image.png.08a11106587fb69803d317c9321beea6.png

When I went to Herculaneum I thought it was easier to walk around than Pompeii. There are some footpaths that are smoother to walk on but it still has cobblestones, uneven surfaces and high kerbs that you need to be careful walking on or up but it seemed to me less rough than Pompeii.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sabbo55 said:

I have read that you can't bring a backpack to Herculaneum, but you can bring a small bag.

I'm not sure what that means.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

They don't want people wearing backpacks in the site due to the fragility of the walls, etc. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the number of times that people wearing backpacks seem to be unaware that their backpacks graze against wall surfaces (and other people).

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

They don't want people wearing backpacks in the site due to the fragility of the walls, etc. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the number of times that people wearing backpacks seem to be unaware that their backpacks graze against wall surfaces (and other people).

Thank you.  I understand.

But will they allow you to carry a small bag?

14 hours ago, sabbo55 said:

Thank you.  I understand.

But will they allow you to carry a small bag?

I had no issue last month at Herculaneum with a small day-rucksack (one big enough to take a coat, bottle of water, etc).  The National Archaeological Museum in Naples wanted it left in bag storage though.

image.png.92700f3db9cab9a7e659ab6bb7fde347.png

2 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

I had no issue last month at Herculaneum with a small day-rucksack (one big enough to take a coat, bottle of water, etc).  The National Archaeological Museum in Naples wanted it left in bag storage though.

Which underscores the unknowable "human" factor in these decisions.  What one employee will let go, another will stop.  

45 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Which underscores the unknowable "human" factor in these decisions.  What one employee will let go, another will stop.  

I don't think so. It was not two occasions at the same place.

They are two very different locations.  Most of Herculaneum is outside.  The museum inside.  Both seemed the right judgement to me at the time.

4 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

image.png.92700f3db9cab9a7e659ab6bb7fde347.png

Thanks..our bag will be smaller than that!