Visa required?

Guppy99

Thank you for your post. I’m doing a similar trip in June and planning on taking the Eurostar to Southhampton. I’ve never thought of direct car service there. If appropriate, can you share the name of your car service?

Now let’s hope the current turmoil in France will cool down soon to make any France segment of this trip happen. 

Even King Charles and Camilla’s trip to France next week may involve some protests and Royal drama!

6 minutes ago, NE John said:

Thank you for your post. I’m doing a similar trip in June and planning on taking the Eurostar to Southhampton. I’ve never thought of direct car service there. If appropriate, can you share the name of your car service?

Now let’s hope the current turmoil in France will cool down soon to make any France segment of this trip happen. 

Even King Charles and Camilla’s trip to France next week may involve some protests and Royal drama!

The Eurostar doesn’t go to Southampton. It goes to London, St. Pancras. A few may stop somewhere in Kent.

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The Eurostar doesn’t go to Southampton. It goes to London, St. Pancras. A few may stop somewhere in Kent.

Yes, understood. Thanks. St. Pancras to Waterloo to Southampton. Lots of lugging!

14 minutes ago, NE John said:

Yes, understood. Thanks. St. Pancras to Waterloo to Southampton. Lots of lugging!

The underground is wonderful usually, but in this circumstance I would strongly advise you to get a taxi from St. P to Waterloo. It may take a bit longer, and be more expensive, but saves an awful lot of trouble with luggage and escalators, and you get the best view of the most beautiful city (from Waterloo Bridge).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

The underground is wonderful usually, but in this circumstance I would strongly advise you to get a taxi from St. P to Waterloo. It may take a bit longer, and be more expensive, but saves an awful lot of trouble with luggage and escalators, and you get the best view of the most beautiful city (from Waterloo Bridge).

And please reassure me, because I am very neurotic, this journey, Eurostar/St. P/Wat/Soton is for the day before the ship leaves and not the same day?

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

And please reassure me, because I am very neurotic, this journey, Eurostar/St. P/Wat/Soton is for the day before the ship leaves and not the same day?

Yes. We have a hotel already booked in Southampton the night before sailing. 
Your neurosis is well-appreciated!

• Like 2

The real challenge is to follow the pension revolts in France and determine if it’s worth even going there for a week or so before the June 23 crossing. 
We may turn this into an all-UK tour at this point. 

1 hour ago, NE John said:

The real challenge is to follow the pension revolts in France and determine if it’s worth even going there for a week or so before the June 23 crossing. 
We may turn this into an all-UK tour at this point. 

I have a work trip to Paris 6/13 to 6/26 and have been so looking forward to the trip.  Maybe the ruckus will be done by then.... It's a long time until then.  

10 hours ago, NE John said:

I hope too!  We plan to be there same time so let’s see. 

This is none of my business, and you have probably made arrangements, but do you actually want to go to London? If not you could consider a train to Caen (2-3 hours) the the overnight Brittany Ferry from there to Portsmouth, followed by train or taxi to Southampton. 

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-france/caen-portsmouth/about

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

This is none of my business, and you have probably made arrangements, but do you actually want to go to London? If not you could consider a train to Caen (2-3 hours) the the overnight Brittany Ferry from there to Portsmouth, followed by train or taxi to Southampton. 

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-france/caen-portsmouth/about

Or, as you’ve got a hotel in Soton, sail the afternoon before.

If we’re going to Normandy, the Portsmouth  overnight ferry would be a good idea. I’ve done an overnight ferry before (Palermo to Naples) and it’s good experience. 

Thank you for the information, I was unaware of this service. Let’s see how King Charles and Camilla fare with their upcoming France trip. Having a king dine at Versailles while the mob is revolting in the streets never works out well. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NE John said:

If we’re going to Normandy, the Portsmouth  overnight ferry would be a good idea. I’ve done an overnight ferry before (Palermo to Naples) and it’s good experience. 

Thank you for the information, I was unaware of this service. Let’s see how King Charles and Camilla fare with their upcoming France trip. Having a king dine at Versailles while the mob is revolting in the streets never works out well. 

The French Government has cancelled the visit.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, D&N said:

@NE John

As always with SNCF be aware of the risk of strikes. Although the Paris St Lazare-Caen line appears to have a reasonable Guaranteed Minimum Service.

Details of that and access to normal timetables and fares are at:

https://www.ter.sncf.com/normandie/se-deplacer/info-trafic/greve

Just like SWR on this side, but they may be reaching a settlement soon. 😀

1 hour ago, D&N said:

@NE John

As always with SNCF be aware of the risk of strikes. Although the Paris St Lazare-Caen line appears to have a reasonable Guaranteed Minimum Service.

Details of that and access to normal timetables and fares are at:

https://www.ter.sncf.com/normandie/se-deplacer/info-trafic/greve

I appreciate all the information from everyone. 
The Yellow Vest strike from a few years ago lasted 45 days or so and this protest seems more intense than previous ones. 

My planned Anglo-French trip may morph into an Anglo-only trip. 

I’ve never been to Wales. Maybe I’ll need use Google translator in Wales?? 🙃

Of course, whatever happens, the highlight of the entire trip will be the another TA on the QM2!

9 minutes ago, NE John said:

I appreciate all the information from everyone. 
The Yellow Vest strike from a few years ago lasted 45 days or so and this protest seems more intense than previous ones. 

My planned Anglo-French trip may morph into an Anglo-only trip. 

I’ve never been to Wales. Maybe I’ll need use Google translator in Wales?? 🙃

Of course, whatever happens, the highlight of the entire trip will be the another TA on the QM2!

Ask HH. You certainly won’t encounter any non-English speakers, unless you manage to annoy them exceedingly. A friend of mine who lived in a Welsh speaking area of North Wales said, whenever she went into the village shop, contrary to what was put about, the people who were gossiping there in Welsh would immediately change to English, so that she could join in. Lots of beautiful coastline and glorious scenery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

You'll be fine, road signs and official documents are in both languages but even if people speak Welsh as a first language they will speak English, possibly with a strong accent!

And there is the pleasing fact that the word for hospital is ysbyty. Instantly memorable and a useful word to know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/22/2023 at 9:22 PM, Guppy99 said:

We are US citizens flying to Paris, FR for 1 week and then driving to Southampton for a 1 night stay before embarking on a transatlantic back to the US. Do we need a visa for the UK? 

@Guppy99 and @Joe33472

Please see link from France24 website for latest on France’s protests, etc:

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20230324-use-of-force-signals-crisis-of-authority-as-france-s-pension-battle-turns-to-unrest

I wish everyone luck in their travels!