The "youngest" HAL for Caribbean?

Nemanoxer

Hi fellow cruiseras and cruiseros.

First things first - I am 51, so  talking about "young" in my case is not refering to going nuts every day, partying all drunk and hunting for skirts. I have been a Celebrity Cruises fan in the Caribbean for most of the last 10 years, loving the Solstice class rather than the Edge Class.

Since CC keep disapponting me on more than one level, I am looking for something else. Closest products seem to be HAL and Princess with HAL seemingly being the most conservative of the three lines (are they really?).

My question: Which of the HAL ships / ship  class with Caribbean itineraries would you recommend for having the - let´s not say youngest, let´s say freshest / most modern reputation?

Just now, REOVA said:

What do you like or dislike on a cruise ship? 

I used to do Celebrity for great production shows, great food and the relaxed but modern and sometimes lively atmosphere and easy going fellow guests.

Guess that is how I like crusing.

Well, forget production shows. HAL doesn't do that anymore, unless you count the "Step One" dancers, who dance interacting with recorded music and video backdrops. They're good, but not what I would call a production show. Other evening shows are BBC Earth nature videos. 

I agree with @Mosaic that the most lively entertainment would be on one of the Pinnacle class ships (Rotterdam, Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam). I don't remember which ones do Caribbean, but at least one of them will. Other than the Music Walk (BB King,etc), HAL is not "lively." On the Pinnacle ships, all the music (which is deafeningly loud) is in that one area, Music Walk. Nothing in any of the bars. No more classical group. 

Eurodam usually does Caribbean itineraries, and that ship is not a Pinnacle class, so there's even less variety in entertainment. 

You didn't mention the length of cruise you prefer. HAL does a lot of 7-day cruises, and also sells them as back-to-back 14-day cruises. Going back to Fort Lauderdale for a day in the middle of a cruise does not appeal to me. Go to the website and search for Caribbean options to see what ports HAL is visiting. A quick look at the maps that come up will show you which cruises are really two put together to make something longer.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

I used to do Celebrity for great production shows, great food and the relaxed but modern and sometimes lively atmosphere and easy going fellow guests.

Guess that is how I like crusing.

You may be disappointed in HAL shows compared to what you are used to but still may enjoy. And if you are on longer than 7 days or a B2B, they may repeat. Food is getting better but still seems to have hit or misses based on "supply" chain. (And you may need to pay extra for the better quality). HAL does have a relaxed and modern feel on the Pinnacle Class ships but also has previously had staffing issues servicing their 3 biggest ships but that also has been hit or miss with cruise lines and training new crew. If you are inclined to pay for Club Orange on the Pinnacle Ships (if not booking Neptune Suite), it may be worth it for expedited service, separate dining room (but mostly same menu as MDR) and better embarkation and tendering (if sailing any tender ports). 

For a short Carribean cruise you may look at MSC (Yacht Club only) which offers plenty of entertainment (although alot of canned accompanied music) but the quiet retreat of the yatch club. Ships are too big for us but it offers a Carnival experience (in part of the ship which you can choose to participate or not) and a superior Hal experience (in Yacht Club) when you need it. However it may not meet your "easy going" passenger requirement in the main sections of the ship. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

I had folks telling me HAL is not as "Cunard-ish" as I thought but seemingly they are...

Blues Club sounds nice, but if that is the maximum of HAL´s lively... Hmmmhmh.

Best you do pick only a HAL Pinnacle class ship then. Plenty of loud and noisy venues.

We personally love the quiet-zone libraries the older HAL ships. There you have it, for our own "lively" tastes.

1 hour ago, Nemanoxer said:

I had folks telling me HAL is not as "Cunard-ish" as I thought but seemingly they are...

Blues Club sounds nice, but if that is the maximum of HAL´s lively... Hmmmhmh.

Oh they are definitely “Cunard-ish” IMO but there are some differences. HAL is less formal overall and slightly younger (though at 51 you’d be on the young side on either line.). 

They both have long and storied histories as companies though Cunard leans into it a bit more. 

If it means anything, I’m only 40 and love HAL (and Cunard tbh). I mostly pick a cruise based on itinerary but HAL is almost always the line I check first as they are my favorite. Unless it’s a transatlantic and then Cunard is always first. 

• Like 1

Currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Sailed Celebrity 4 times (M, S, and E class) in the last year.  HAL is quieter and a bit more traditional than Celebrity in most areas.  When we want to relax, we sail HAL.  Celebrity has more of the modern vibe you speak of.  You may want to consider looking at Seabourn.  A little more pricey, but you will get caviar in the surf and water toys off the back in the Caribbean.  Or Azamara, which is also more intimate with amazing service, yet also traditional.  Then there is Viking, but they sail from the islands, not Florida.  We find it’s best to sample other cruise lines to add a bit of variety.  There is no shortage of options!

• Like 1