Just an FYI (No Passport Online Renewal

Ret MP

There may be some posts, way back, that have been discussing applying/renewing Passports, if it has already been discussed, it isn't within the first few pages, so, I'll update/repeat.  If you are traveling on a RCCL cruise (see how I made that RCCL related) and plan on applying for a renewal, the online renewal system has been paused/suspended.  I don't see a date when the Department of State plans to correct the problem(s), if at all.  So, be aware, RCCL cruisers, you have to renew in person or by mail.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew-online.html

Renew Online - Limited Release

The Limited Release is Currently Paused

On March 8, we paused our limited release of the online renewal service, so that we can introduce improvements based on customer feedback.

• If you have already applied, you can login to your MyTravelGov account and manage your application. We continue to review and process your application. 
  • If you did not start or submit an application on or before March 8, your MyTravelGov account will no longer include the option to renew online. 

During our limited release, over 500,000 customers volunteered to submit their applications online and test our system. We look forward to launching the enhanced application in a full, nationwide release later this year. 

While you cannot submit an application online now, you can still renew by mail if you are eligible. 

We have two different types of support for customers who still need access to their MyTravelGov account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I did go online last week to fill out the form...then printed it and sent it in by mail...certified with tracking (which was a waste of money, since they lost tracking on it), and paid Passport processing extra for the expedited service. 

Though USPS failed on their tracking, I did thankfully notice my check cashed.  Now it's just a "wait and see" to find out how long it will take.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

I did go online last week to fill out the form...then printed it and sent it in by mail...certified with tracking (which was a waste of money, since they lost tracking on it), and paid Passport processing extra for the expedited service. 

Though USPS failed on their tracking, I did thankfully notice my check cashed.  Now it's just a "wait and see" to find out how long it will take.  

We both renewed our Passports in November.  Took about 4 weeks using the “Expedited Service”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend was upset because she had applied to renew her passport in December, and it was still in Passport limbo.  I suggested she contact her Congressperson's office and ask for assistance.  She did and they were able to assist her.  Apparently, this has become a very common problem.

• Like 2

I applied for my renewal online on January 19, nine weeks ago.  I still see the same message that appeared the first day, “In process”.  The estimated processing time was 5-9 weeks at the time I applied. 

My SO mailed in his application on January 23.  It took 32 days for them to cash his check.  His is also “In process”.

On March 27,  for the first time ever, we are going on a cruise with birth certificates.  Not happy 😢 

• Like 1

I know this thread is about Passports, but as a tangential data point, we applied for Global Entry.  It was supposed to take 3 months.  We got conditionally approved 8.5 months into it, and we still need to do an interview in May.  My understanding is all these programs are WAY behind.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I applied for my rewal online on January 19, nine weeks ago.  I still see the same message that appeared the first day, “In process”.  The estimated processing time was 5-9 weeks at the time I applied. 

My SO mailed in his application on January 23.  It took 32 days for them to cash his check.  His is also “In process”.

On March 27,  for the first time ever, we are going on a cruise with birth certificates.  Not happy 😢 

I sent my package to their expedited location on the 13th of this month.  My check was posted through my account by the 17th.  That was quick...and USPS certified tracking still as of today shows the package I sent as "in transit to next facility" ...yeah, snail mail failure as usual.  🤪 Idiots.  

So I am hoping to get the new passport book and card fairly soon.  If not...my trip next month is 6 weeks in Maui....luckily no passport needed there.  😉 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I sent my package to their expedited location on the 13th of this month.  My check was posted through my account by the 17th.  That was quick...and USPS certified tracking still as of today shows the package I sent as "in transit to next facility" ...yeah, snail mail failure as usual.  🤪 Idiots.  

So I am hoping to get the new passport book and card fairly soon.  If not...my trip next month is 6 weeks in Maui....luckily no passport needed there.  😉 

I kinda/almost/maybe regret not paying for the expedited service. Many people cruise with birth certificates without a problem, I just don’t want to be one of them!  

Just curious - when do you use the card vs. the book?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I kinda/almost/maybe regret not paying for the expedited service. Many people cruise with birth certificates without a problem, I just don’t want to be one of them!  

Just curious - when do you use the card vs. the book?  

The book is presented at check in.  It is also what you need to fly international, not the cards.  The books stay in our safe. 

For the "take your picture ID with you" on port visits....it's not our DL...it's our U.S. passport photo ID.  It can be used simply as ID...and much more.  They slip into our pockets along with our sea pass cards.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Ya, USPS is not immune to Murphy's Law.  That's why, if I have to use USPS, I always send official stuff Return Receipt Register.  

6 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Ya, USPS is not immune to Murphy's Law.  That's why, if I have to use USPS, I always send official stuff Return Receipt Register.  

LOL...Return receipt would work if USPS actually recorded it as delivered.  They still show it as "in transit".  😄 

image.jpeg.586d094f50d43dbeca51baacf46ce04d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...Return receipt would work if USPS actually recorded it as delivered.  They still show it as "in transit".  😄 

image.jpeg.586d094f50d43dbeca51baacf46ce04d.jpeg

I hear ya.  But, I haven't experienced that with "registered" mail.  Lucky I guess.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

For the "take your picture ID with you" on port visits....it's not our DL...it's our U.S. passport photo ID.  It can be used simply as ID...and much more.  They slip into our pockets along with our sea pass cards.  

Had no idea, thanks for posting.  

So, in theory, I could laminate that pic they returned with the passport and take off the ship with the sea pass.  No worries about losing DL.  

11 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I applied for my renewal online on January 19, nine weeks ago.  I still see the same message that appeared the first day, “In process”.  The estimated processing time was 5-9 weeks at the time I applied. 

Sorry to hear this! I was almost in the same boat - I really didn't want to have to use a birth certificate, but was glad to have it as a backup option and not have to completely cancel my cruise.

I submitted my online renewal on January 24th, expedited service. It said 3-5 week processing time. As of this past Thursday, 3/23, still "in process." I had seen a video online of someone mentioning contacting their state Senator, so I looked into it. Both of my senators had a specific page on their website regarding passport help! On Thursday afternoon I filled out the online form, then printed and faxed an authorization form to them. Friday morning I got an email from the Senator's office stating they had contacted the passport agency on my behalf. What do you know, I received an email from the passport agency Friday evening at about 6 pm saying my passport had shipped!! It arrives Monday, I leave for my cruise Saturday. Phew!

It is so frustrating that this is happening to a lot of people. And also frustrating that it took contacting my Senator to get anything accomplished! I had called the passport line many times, most of the time I couldn't get through, and the 2 times I was able to get through they weren't much help. And forget trying to make an in person appt, they told me I'd have to wait until Monday and good luck actually getting an appt! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I hear ya.  But, I haven't experienced that with "registered" mail.  Lucky I guess.

I sent all important things certified so I have tracking.  Then again...when transferring from one government facility to another....all bets are off.  Your tax dollars at work.  😄 

13 hours ago, keishashadow said:

Had no idea, thanks for posting.  

So, in theory, I could laminate that pic they returned with the passport and take off the ship with the sea pass.  No worries about losing DL.  

You are most welcome.  

Keep in mind, it needs to be a government issued (state, federal, etc.) issued picture ID.  A "do it yourself" probably won't make it.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

I sent all important things certified so I have tracking.  Then again...when transferring from one government facility to another....all bets are off.  Your tax dollars at work.  😄 

Hummmmmmmm, maybe I mean "Certified".  Whatever the designation is that everyone that handles the item has to sign for it (either physically or electronically).  It's been a long time (years) since I've been at a USPS facility.  I generally use FEDEX or UPS now.  But, make no mistake, their service has gone way down hill lately, too.  You're right, my tax dollars at work, HA!.