Gay meet up P&O Arvia

scottish ed

6 hours ago, 9265359 said:

However... the old guy sat near to me said something disparaging and was obviously expecting me to comment in agreement. He certainly wasn't prepared for my response which sent him scuttling off with his tail between his legs.

Well at least he has that guy, and a chunk of that ilk, have probably not got many cruises left to spread their bigotry!

So pleased Scottish Ed and his partner had a great first cruise. Fab photo.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, scottish ed said:

So…..I posted the original question about LGBT meet ups. 
Am now back from the cruise (my first), had an amazing time on Arvia and think I’ve well and truly got the cruise bug. 

To answer my original question, there were LGBT meet ups advertised daily in Horizon. Not that well attended but we met a lovely couple who we ended up meeting most evenings for a drink. 

Only one negative experience, a couple in the Limelight club talking and laughing about my partner and I. At least she looked mortified when she saw I’d noticed. Most people couldn’t have cared less that we’re a gay couple and most people we chatted to were lovely. 
BB013866-9274-4ED3-BA03-6D4A49B817E0.thumb.jpeg.5022e6cf7f1fc97c861c7ff4eda6e145.jpeg

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed Arvia, we are sailing on her in Aug and cant wait. 

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said " most people couldnt have cared less that you were a gay couple and most people we chatted too were lovely". I would like to think times have moved on from the sad bigotry from 30-50 years ago. I know it has in the military, i work with some fantastic engineers gay and straight who i trust with my life. We cant change the wrongs of the past but we can change the present and future. Most people i like to think of a younger age do not care what your sexual orientation is. I think its more the older people who have an issue, and i suspect the couple you mentioned were maybe older. 

That said you will sadly always have a small minority who cant and wont change and dont know any different from all races, genders, sexual orientations etc, And i feel its sad for them as they are missing out on getting to know some really nice people. 

• Like 12

9 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed Arvia, we are sailing on her in Aug and cant wait. 

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said " most people couldnt have cared less that you were a gay couple and most people we chatted too were lovely". I would like to think times have moved on from the sad bigotry from 30-50 years ago. I know it has in the military, i work with some fantastic engineers gay and straight who i trust with my life. We cant change the wrongs of the past but we can change the present and future. Most people i like to think of a younger age do not care what your sexual orientation is. I think its more the older people who have an issue, and i suspect the couple you mentioned were maybe older. 

That said you will sadly always have a small minority who cant and wont change and dont know any different from all races, genders, sexual orientations etc, And i feel its sad for them as they are missing out on getting to know some really nice people. 

Very well said and I totally agree with all your sentiments. Jane xx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 10:58 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Well said, a balanced response but  please don't label older people in general as having issues with people who are different.  

We can't change the past, we can only act towards each other in the present, and treat everyone as you'd like to be treated yourselves .  That  is the way to change the future.

Definitely not as in some of the earlier comments (not yours) expressing the thought that the sooner the bigots die off the better. Kindness to all, even towards bigots is the way to change things for the good.

• Like 8