TA vs Princess pricing

HMSDingy

I know this question has been asked but does Princess offer smiilar prices as TA's. I checked the Princess website and their price for an inside cabin on the Crown for October is almost exactly the same as the price my TA offered for the same cabin.:confused:

Oh no you don't.....Your on our cruise, Legend! lol All I can say is I use a TA that books mostly Princess and we had gotten a great rate with her compared to Princess website on the Carribean Princess last year.The ship was about 5 months old when we sailed. I think a good cruise TA should be able to get you a lower price. If you are looking at the Crown, (and I think you are) it is a new ship and always costs more anyways..:D

Oh no you don't.....Your on our cruise, Legend! lol All I can say is I use a TA that books mostly Princess and we had gotten a great rate with her compared to Princess website on the Carribean Princess last year.The ship was about 5 months old when we sailed. I think a good cruise TA should be able to get you a lower price. If you are looking at the Crown, (and I think you are) it is a new ship and always costs more anyways..:D

Sorry but we changed our minds. :o The price for an inside cabin on the Crown wasn't that much more than the Legend and unless the price goes up drastically, I'm calling my TA Monday to change the booking. Anyway I haven't even paid my deposit yet.

A good TA will almost always get you a lower price than Princess. Princess has some very high volume TA's who get very good pricing from Princess due to their volume. The exception might be a flash promotion. Look around and compare, compare, compare. Google "discount travel agencies" and most of them will have lower pricing than Princess.

Thats ok Dingy..The Crown is laided out just like the Carribean Princess. We really enjoyed the anytime diinning. We had a great time and almost booked the Crown for September but decided we like a slightly smaller ship so we are tyring Carnival...:D

A good TA will almost always get you a lower price than Princess. Princess has some very high volume TA's who get very good pricing from Princess due to their volume. The exception might be a flash promotion. Look around and compare, compare, compare. Google "discount travel agencies" and most of them will have lower pricing than Princess.

This is wonderful advice.

I'll only add that most agencies are allowed by Princess to run between two an six one week "sales" per year. During this time reduced prices and deposit requirements may be available as well as additional gifts (some valuable, some so so) for booking.

Also, look for agencies that may have blocks of group booking space available for the general public. Just because you buy into a "group" does not mean you have to be part of it (as in join their bowling team) to get the benefits. Many cruisers buy into group space only for the price and goodies they might get.

Oh and with Princess, buying far in advance often leads to a greatly reduced fare, right now anyway, as compared to some other cruise lines.

All of the above is available through a Travel Agent.

You can also get some great deals by signing up at the Princess website or by having sailed before. I get deals in the mail all the time it seems. These are not available to everyone either. They are Targeted Marketing Coverage advertising where they are specifically looking for me (and those like me) to sail. I've seen "deals" posted here on Cruise Critic by other members that were not available to me and vice versa. Be sure to read the fine print, its the most important part of the offer.

The really cool part is that you can get those deals through Princess and often have them transferred to your local travel professional, the one you know personally, and get not only that Princess offer but often a lower price too. Frequently, where Princess is not willing to discount, your Travel Agent might be. This happens all the time...especially with the "high volume" agencies located above.

But don't be fooled. There is a often a big difference between the "high volume" agencies mentioned in general on this board and "discount cruise broker". This is often misunderstood.

The reference to agents that "sell a lot of Princess and have a good relationship that gives them better pricing" is significant. While we can't give names of agencies or agents you'll find that many of the members here are fiercely loyal to their dominantly Princess agents.

That your agent and Princess are offering the same price is not for sure a bad thing. But as mentioned above, it sure pays to shop around..not just before you book but after as well. Remember, all up until final payment time your deposit should be fully refundable without any penalties. This puts you in an excellent bargaining position should a more attractive offer be made for your business.

I don't think I have ever once booked a cruise and not made any changes to the original booking; just booked it, waited my time, and gone on the cruise.

I look at a booking as a work in progress (dw says I "flip-flop" allot) and am constantly refining and on guard for a better deal, value or even a different sailing. With the questions you're asking I bet you're heading in that direction too!

Good TA's get you the best prices plus they send little gifts to your cabin or give you cruise credit and all you do is pay for the cruise...you don't even pay them. Get an agent that continually checks the pricing so if it goes down you get the discount. If you book yourself...you have to keep checking to see if the price goes down. It's a no brainer.

This is wonderful advice.

I'll only add that most agencies are allowed by Princess to run between two an six one week "sales" per year. During this time reduced prices and deposit requirements may be available as well as additional gifts (some valuable, some so so) for booking.

Also, look for agencies that may have blocks of group booking space available for the general public. Just because you buy into a "group" does not mean you have to be part of it (as in join their bowling team) to get the benefits. Many cruisers buy into group space only for the price and goodies they might get.

Oh and with Princess, buying far in advance often leads to a greatly reduced fare, right now anyway, as compared to some other cruise lines.

All of the above is available through a Travel Agent.

You can also get some great deals by signing up at the Princess website or by having sailed before. I get deals in the mail all the time it seems. These are not available to everyone either. They are Targeted Marketing Coverage advertising where they are specifically looking for me (and those like me) to sail. I've seen "deals" posted here on Cruise Critic by other members that were not available to me and vice versa. Be sure to read the fine print, its the most important part of the offer.

The really cool part is that you can get those deals through Princess and often have them transferred to your local travel professional, the one you know personally, and get not only that Princess offer but often a lower price too. Frequently, where Princess is not willing to discount, your Travel Agent might be. This happens all the time...especially with the "high volume" agencies located above.

But don't be fooled. There is a often a big difference between the "high volume" agencies mentioned in general on this board and "discount cruise broker". This is often misunderstood.

The reference to agents that "sell a lot of Princess and have a good relationship that gives them better pricing" is significant. While we can't give names of agencies or agents you'll find that many of the members here are fiercely loyal to their dominantly Princess agents.

That your agent and Princess are offering the same price is not for sure a bad thing. But as mentioned above, it sure pays to shop around..not just before you book but after as well. Remember, all up until final payment time your deposit should be fully refundable without any penalties. This puts you in an excellent bargaining position should a more attractive offer be made for your business.

I don't think I have ever once booked a cruise and not made any changes to the original booking; just booked it, waited my time, and gone on the cruise.

I look at a booking as a work in progress (dw says I "flip-flop" allot) and am constantly refining and on guard for a better deal, value or even a different sailing. With the questions you're asking I bet you're heading in that direction too!

This will be my second cruise with Princess. I am considered what they call a Captain's Circle member. Even though, the prices on their website don't seem to be much better. As for TA, she booked my last cruise and her boss is a personal friend. I book all my vacations with them. She wll be keeping a look out on the fare and should it go down, she will do whatever is necessary to see that I get the reduced fare and/or upgrade. I will be definitely sailing on the Crown comme October :D

Archived