Some thoughts from my 3/18-3/25 Escape cruise

hallux

The live musical entertainment on this ship is ON POINT. 

The group in Syd Norman's Pour House was excellent.  I went to 3 of their shows (Rock the Pour House, Rumours [covering the Fleetwood Mac Rumours album] and Rock the Prom) and all were ROCKIN'!  Those musicians and singers are worth what they make, or more.

The four that did Howl At The Moon were also EXCELLENT.  Their interaction between each other and with the crowd was great, and they all seem very talented.  This was apparently the first week on board for at least one of the performers.

Choir of Man is a must see!  Fantastic show!

Port fees refund!

Yes, you read that right.  We did not skip a port, but it seems NCL underestimated passenger count resulting in an over-charge of port fees and taxes, we all got a little less than $13 of refundable OBC, the only reason anyone can figure is over-charge of those fees.  Yes, we ported at both Taino Bay AND GSC

NCL is THE cruise line for the solo traveler!

The solo cabins and group are awesome, and even when I wasn't with the solo group at an activity someone was still conversational with me.  We had over 30 in the lounge for the meet one night, over 3x as many as the solo host had previously had.  This was not my first solo NCL cruise, the first one was great, this one may have been even better.

Sadly, one of the comedians (the better of the 2 from what I hear) was the same one I saw on the Joy last year and his show was almost the same.

I felt like the activity schedule was a little lighter than on previous cruises, I guess I can compare the dailies.

Internet worked well for me, I bought the unlimited plan and page loads seemed quick.  Others had issues with the app, which worked flawlessly for me.

All of the crew were friendly and engaging.  During the 70's party one sound/light person (I was standing on the sun deck under the ropes course overlooking Spice, on the port side) actually stood for a second and waited for me to acknowledge that he was saying hi to me...

I'm happy to try to answer questions if anyone has any, except any about the drink package as I don't drink.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the review. Agree that NCL is the best for solo travelers.

Pleased to hear you ported at both Taino Bay and GSC. We missed GSC earlier this month. I was wondering today whether NCL has been using Taino Bay. The Epic is porting at Amber Cove and was hoping for Taino Bay instead.

• Like 1

Just now, Sugar Magnolia said:

Pleased to hear you ported at both Taino Bay and GSC

Several of us were thinking GSC wasn't going to happen.  Seas were fairly rough, rougher than last year when I didn't get to Costa Maya on the Joy, but they made the stop.  I hear the Getaway didn't make the stop earlier in the week.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, snooper1225 said:

What did you do in Tortola?

I just walked around the port area.  It wasn't the most pleasant port day I've experienced, it rained on and off for much of the visit.  Not to mention that it was a 6 am to 1 PM stop.

15 minutes ago, snooper1225 said:

Also wondering if you knew how the Covid situation was?

Covid?  Seemed like no issue.  As of right now I'm feeling perfectly fine, better than I can say I was after my cruise this time last year, which resulted in adding 3 days to my vacation.

5 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Any idea how many were on board the ship? 

I don't have an exact number, I know they had around 5,000 the week prior (1400 or so kids) and that we had about 1,000 fewer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hallux said:

I just walked around the port area.  It wasn't the most pleasant port day I've experienced, it rained on and off for much of the visit.  Not to mention that it was a 6 am to 1 PM stop.

Covid?  Seemed like no issue.  As of right now I'm feeling perfectly fine, better than I can say I was after my cruise this time last year, which resulted in adding 3 days to my vacation.

I don't have an exact number, I know they had around 5,000 the week prior (1400 or so kids) and that we had about 1,000 fewer.

I'm glad you had such a good time. (I'm the allergy person who wanted to know about whether the mattresses were bare.)

Another odd question: Did they have actual dairy/cream for the coffee in the Studio Lounge? 

1 minute ago, Ellis1138 said:

(I'm the allergy person who wanted to know about whether the mattresses were bare.)

Sorry, I forgot to check that!  That hall you asked about was definitely an exit door though.

1 minute ago, Ellis1138 said:

Another odd question: Did they have actual dairy/cream for the coffee in the Studio Lounge?

I don't know, I'm not a coffee person so I never looked at that stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Ellis1138 said:

Ok thanks! Hopefully, I won't be bothered by lots of slamming doors. 

The Studio cabins were FULL on my trip (we had over 30 at the solo meet on the second night!), I didn't hear much.  I actually think they softened the door closers on the doors I used, or they were different from the ones on the Bliss, the common hall doors I used closed relatively softly and people near me seemed considerate about their cabin doors.

• Thanks 1

Also what time did you check in on your embarkation day and did you have to wait to be checked in before you could board? What about debarkation?  Thanks!

ETA: Is Escape still embarking at Canaveral? I guess that's not very pertinent to our departure next month from Miami. 

Edited by zzdoug

2 hours ago, hallux said:

The Studio cabins were FULL on my trip (we had over 30 at the solo meet on the second night!), I didn't hear much.  I actually think they softened the door closers on the doors I used, or they were different from the ones on the Bliss, the common hall doors I used closed relatively softly and people near me seemed considerate about their cabin doors.

Hi.  I'll be on the escape in 6 days!!!  Also traveling solo.  Were the solo meetups in the studio lounge, or were they held somewhere else on the ship?

9 hours ago, hallux said:

The live musical entertainment on this ship is ON POINT. 

The group in Syd Norman's Pour House was excellent.  I went to 3 of their shows (Rock the Pour House, Rumours [covering the Fleetwood Mac Rumours album] and Rock the Prom) and all were ROCKIN'!  Those musicians and singers are worth what they make, or more.

This is generally all I want to hear!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, zzdoug said:

How was service, logistics etc? In particular did you spend a lot of time waiting in line, waiting for your dinner etc?

Service wasn't bad.  I was part of the solo group so the solo host generally called ahead to the restaurant to let them know we were coming.  The one night he didn't call ahead I got a nasty look from the hostess when I told here there were 9 of us, but 30 seconds after I dropped the solo host's name we were being led to a table.

I thought, at times, that maybe the MDR people were a little slow filling water glasses at the beginning of the meal, and one time I had to ask for my second appetizer (it was the only time I got two, but not because of that).  Other than that, they seemed pretty good.

Lines for other events, such as Syd Norman's Pour House or Headliner's for comedy or Howl at the Moon were to be expected.

Also what time did you check in on your embarkation day and did you have to wait to be checked in before you could board?

Between 9:30 and 10.  I had a 9-9:30 check-in time but the car rental agency wouldn't bring anyone over until NCL told them they could.  Once I was there I waited less than 10 minutes to complete check-in and got boarding group 3.  I was on the ship by 11:30.

What about debarkation?

ETA: Is Escape still embarking at Canaveral? I guess that's not very pertinent to our departure next month from Miami.

Yes, still at Port Canaveral.  Debarkation was not like I experienced on the Joy in Miami last year (possibly due to passenger count).  In Miami last year the facial recognition for CBP was done at the exit of the ship.  In PC this time it was done inside the terminal after luggage was collected.

10 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Hi.  I'll be on the escape in 6 days!!!  Also traveling solo.  Were the solo meetups in the studio lounge, or were they held somewhere else on the ship?

First one was at Tobacco Road, but the host then led the group to the Studio Lounge where the meet-ups were held the rest of the week.  We had over 30 there the second night!

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hello,

We were on the same cruise as well, 4 of us.  Kudo's to the Noel H for setting up the meet and greet.  A lot of officers and the cruise director showed up.  The staff was outstanding and the food as well.  We didn't eat at the buffet but enjoyed Cagney's, Le Bistro and Food republic.  Seems like a lot of the less popular bars only had 1 bar tender so you had to wait longer than normal.  First time in the Spa for us and it was wonderful..  

On 3/26/2023 at 6:41 PM, snooper1225 said:

Thanks for the review!  What did you do in Tortola?

Also wondering if you knew how the Covid situation was?

We were on this cruise 2 weeks prior.

For Tortola we did the Jeep and Beach excursion.  We own a Jeep and have also done a Jeep excursion in Alaska.

There are no flat areas on Tortola outside of the coast roads, which have big curves.  The Jeep ride was great.  You get into groups of 4, but we were assigned ours last, so only us in our Jeep.

30 degree plus up and downs.  Two little used roads.  A 1 hr stop at a beach on the north side that no tour group vehicle could get into due to the dirt road we used.  Only the 17 who were in the Jeep tour there.  A stop at a scenic high point.  Great views of St Johns (USVI) and many other smaller islands along the way.  Sunny day so the Jeep tops were down the whole time.  6 or 7 very tricky switch backs on the mountain roads.  I mean, your driving a JEEP!  Getting the sounds and smells as you drive, can't get that in a tour bus.

Avg speed was maybe 25 mph due to the challenging slopes in the roads.

Jeeps were in decent condition.  All JL's. (if you know Jeeps).  

1 four door, the rest 2 door.

More expensive than other tours, but we felt we had a cool experience.  

• Like 1