Initiating my 5 P's

For those who don't know, Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. (When I was in the military, it was 6 P's but, we'll leave it at 5 for now)

Anyway, sailing on the Anthem this summer out of Southampton. It's well known that Anthem is currently having engine problems. They've already modified our itinerary. This is where the planning comes in. Worst case scenario, the engine issue gets worse, and they have to cancel a few cruises to make repairs.

How has Royal handled this in the past? Full cruise refund? (of course, the refund wouldn't be immediate) But if refund was coming, we could head over to Barcelona for a few days, then check out Rome/Naples area, fly back to London and catch our scheduled flight home. This is all contingent of course on multiple factors. Just wanting to have a back-up plan in case.

We are in London 8 days prior and then the 12-night Canary cruise.

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That or switch to some alternate ship/sailing. What European itinerary was modified due to the supposed engine issue?

My Canary Islands itinerary has been modified. Only by a couple of hours in the first couple of ports though. Nothing horrible but I've never experienced engines fixing themselves unless I put tape over the "Check Engine" light.

Again, I'm just trying to have a back-up plan in place in case Mr. Murphy strikes.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Haha 2

Just now, klfrodo said:

My Canary itinerary has been modified.

Did you get a message from RCI confirming that the change was due to engine issues? Many times the itinerary change has nothing to do with the ship condition. The last sailing and the current one it seems like she's sailing "normally" with no changes in her schedule.

Just now, Biker19 said:

Did you get a message from RCI confirming that the change was due to engine issues? Many times the itinerary change has nothing to do with the ship condition. The last sailing and the current one it seems like she's sailing "normally" with no changes in her schedule.

Confirming change? Yes

Reason given? No

I do appreciate you confirming that a full refund will most likely be an option.

5 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Reason given? No

As you may have seen in other Anthem threads, others got a message with the engine issue as the reason (and I think those messages stopped two weeks ago) - as I mentioned, many times the change is NOT due to the ship and given her current state, would assume all will be well with her, mechanically.

The problem may not have gone away by itself - they likely actually fixed it - yes, they can fix things while she's in service.

Edited by Biker19

40 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Good Enough!

Is that part of Royal's new operational procedure plan?

There are probably a lot of things that are "good enough" that people never know about. Unless someone corners the chief engineer on the ship to provide details, we'll probably never know the true status of the propulsion system.