Tallinn, Estonia: Highlights and Restaurant Recs

14 hours ago, cmph said:

Thanks! A hotel/museum site! Unfortunately searches for Monday tickets bump to Tuesday, so I guess the KBG Museum really will be closed on Mondays even in summer. 

It seems customary for museums in Europe to close on Mondays. Unfortunate, as we found out when we stayed a day after a cruise in Copenhagen on a Monday.

On 4/24/2023 at 7:34 PM, cmph said:

Thanks! A hotel/museum site! Unfortunately searches for Monday tickets bump to Tuesday, so I guess the KBG Museum really will be closed on Mondays even in summer. 

We’re on the same cruise, and I was all excited about the KGB museum! I’ve written to them to ask if they are willing to do a private tour on a Monday - I’ll let you know if they say yes. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:35 PM, cmph said:

Thanks! I am positive I looked at the correct site for Kiek in de Kok, b/c it was in my browser history, but I either I looked too early in the year and they hadn't updated with summer hours, or I'm just blind lol. 

However, you are right that for the KGB prison cell museum, I was on a 3rd party ticket-purchasing site. Unfortunately, that's b/c the only links I can find for the museum seem to be broken. Does anyone have a link other than http://www.vabamu.ee/kgb-prison-cells or https://www.vabamu.ee/kulastajale/kgb? Even their facebook page (which only lists current hours) links to the 2nd broken link above.

@cmph I just posted in the roll call - I got a yes answer from the KGB museum, so LMK if your family wants in on a private tour. $18pp. My teens are 18 and 14. 

4 hours ago, washiotter said:

@cmph I just posted in the roll call - I got a yes answer from the KGB museum, so LMK if your family wants in on a private tour. $18pp. My teens are 18 and 14. 

Oh my, that would have been perfect! My kids are the exact same age, in a funny coincidence. However, we are on NCL later in June. (So apparently all the cruise lines think it's a great idea to go to Tallinn on a Monday!) Thank you anyway, and I will have to talk to my family about the private tour possibility. 

1 hour ago, cmph said:

Oh my, that would have been perfect! My kids are the exact same age, in a funny coincidence. However, we are on NCL later in June. (So apparently all the cruise lines think it's a great idea to go to Tallinn on a Monday!) Thank you anyway, and I will have to talk to my family about the private tour possibility. 

Aww, too bad! I guess I didn’t catch that you’re a different person from the OP, who did mention HAL. Sorry!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 12:21 PM, cmph said:

Not all - we will be on Carnival Pride in July and both of our Mondays are Sea Days. Our one Sunday will be in Stockholm (12 day cruise).

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 3:56 AM, cmph said:

Ugh yes, this Tallinn day is making me nuts. I've been trying to earmark some indoor options for the days we're OYO, after realizing just how much outdoor touring time I planned (which is optimistic but not practical I'm sure). KGB prison cells - closed. Kiek de Kok - closed. The only good gluten-free restaurant option in old town - closed. I'm not even going to investigate further. If it rains, it's going to be a stressful touring day for us! My 17yo would happily duck into little stores to shop, but her brother will, um, not. 🤣

Kivi Paber Kaarid is open Monday, fully gf restaurant with recent reviews on Find Me Gluten Free. Sadly I was getting excited about the waffle restaurant until I found it is closed Monday. 
I haven’t found any museums open, we’ve been before so we’ll just wander around. 

2 hours ago, ozscotart said:

Kivi Paber Kaarid is open Monday, fully gf restaurant with recent reviews on Find Me Gluten Free. Sadly I was getting excited about the waffle restaurant until I found it is closed Monday. 
I haven’t found any museums open, we’ve been before so we’ll just wander around. 

Hi! Where did you find that info about Kivi Paber Kaarid? Their site lists their hours as:

"PT 12-22 | KN 12-23 | RL 12-02"

Translated, that's SunTues / WedThu / FriSat. 

Did you happen to find other information that conflicts with their website? I have been assuming their site is correct, and it hasn't been updated for newer, summer hours. I don't believe google is correct, in this case.

10 hours ago, cmph said:

Hi! Where did you find that info about Kivi Paber Kaarid? Their site lists their hours as:

"PT 12-22 | KN 12-23 | RL 12-02"

Translated, that's SunTues / WedThu / FriSat. 

Did you happen to find other information that conflicts with their website? I have been assuming their site is correct, and it hasn't been updated for newer, summer hours. I don't believe google is correct, in this case.

I got it off the English page on their website, see screenshot 

IMG_0197.thumb.png.0e249a0b083c8a16ffcde8bd0bff5492.png

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ozscotart said:

I got it off the English page on their website, see screenshot 

IMG_0197.thumb.png.0e249a0b083c8a16ffcde8bd0bff5492.png

Oh wow, well that hyphen makes a big difference! It doesn't show up that way on Chrome, but maybe it's struggling to translate Estonian to English. I have it set to automatically translate, but it doesn't quite get everything right. Thank you for sharing!

50 minutes ago, cmph said:

Oh wow, well that hyphen makes a big difference! It doesn't show up that way on Chrome, but maybe it's struggling to translate Estonian to English. I have it set to automatically translate, but it doesn't quite get everything right. Thank you for sharing!

No worries, I was a bit alarmed that we wouldn’t get any lunch in Tallin ! I’ve accepted that we won’t get any in Helsinki or Kotka, everything will be closed. 

7 minutes ago, ozscotart said:

No worries, I was a bit alarmed that we wouldn’t get any lunch in Tallin ! I’ve accepted that we won’t get any in Helsinki or Kotka, everything will be closed. 

I couldn't find anything gf in Kotka, and we're there on a Saturday! That is unfortunate about Helsinki; I have 2 places to choose from on my list (we're there all day, on a Friday). 

By the way, not sure if you saw in the previous posts (after that one of mine that you had quoted) - Kiek de Kok is open. When I first started researching, I guess they had their winter hours up, but they were updated at some point. I'm not sure if that same scenario is possible for other museums.