Just Back.. Our Bloomingly Beautiful Tulip Time Cruise Aboard Avalon's Imagery II. Full trip report with tons of pix!

Sleep7

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

Sleep7 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

🌷Hellooooo to everyone on the River Cruise boards!
We are just back.. literally just back yesterday.. from an absolutely Tip Top seven day "Tulip Time" cruise aboard Avalon's Imagery II.
A little about us.. we both just recently hit the big 6-0 and this is our fourth European river cruise.  Might I venture to say we are now seasoned veterans of river cruising; first sailing the Rhine on Avalon back in 2016, followed by a Viking cruise on the Seine in 2017, and then an AMA cruise on the Danube right after International travel started up again in 2021. 
It's super exciting now to have circled back to the beginning and we were thrilled to sail with Avalon again.
Our week (March 19, 2023 to March 26, 2023) on the Imagery II was truly delightful in every way.
It was a journey filled with historic ports, delicious food, plentiful wine, smooth waters and lovely new friends.
Although we didn't actually didn't see any tulips (except in the flower market in Amsterdam) we did have the best tulip-less time ever!
Our cruise was the first of the season and the tulips, being weather dependent, weren't blooming just yet.  Keukenhof Gardens opened on March 23rd this year and we left Amsterdam on March 19th so we ended up being two blooms that passed in the night.
The only thing that could have been improved upon was the weather.  I would say it was about 60% rain.. 20% drizzle..10% mist and only about 10% sun.
However.. even though nonstop (or even just a little) sunshine would have been nice..  the less than ideal weather didn't put a damper on things at all.
I can't wait to share all of our wonderful experiences during this magical week as we sailed from Amsterdam to Brussels.
So now that the suitcases are unpacked and the last load of laundry is done.. I'm ready to write.
Come sail along with us on our truly TUL-rific, TUL-ightful and TUL-icious yet TUL-ipless journey!🌷

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1RpxChKY-QkuPqU8pujiFneUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1679562521
  • Like 4

Checked the weather before we left and it certainly looked drippy from point A to point B so I packed some extra hats, a tiny travel umbrella, boots and 2 hooded jackets.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1T-I6S7QbWg0oJuOo-mEc5uV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1679562522

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1T-I6S7QbWg0oJuOo-mEc5uaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1679562522

Edited by Sleep7

Three years into the pandemic.. to mask or not to mask aboard a flight.. that is the question.

We chose not to.😷

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1RWknno0jPdew8BUPgTTqG0VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1679562616

Checked the Delta app to double check our bags made it to the plane and they did. 👏

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SRwz8uHRrLPSW9yIFWOpU34xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1679562612

Edited by Sleep7
  • Like 1

Loving your review and pictures.  Thanks for doing this trip report!  We were on the Avalon Imagery II in October.  It was our first river cruise and we had a blast!  It’s a beautiful ship with a wonderful staff.

The ship was being readied and stocked for the first cruise of the season!

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1RP74Kr9M3UCDgk7CJDrc8PVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1679562683

Avalon reps in the lounge to sign you up for an optional afternoon tour if you so chose.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1TQTUnE_jxbt2PjLAJOkLZY4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1679562709

Today's newsletter.. easily accessible on the Avalon Go app.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1TtRD4bB_85PkP52Jc_SoXLV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1679562764

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

Loving your review and pictures.  Thanks for doing this trip report!  We were on the Avalon Imagery II in October.  It was our first river cruise and we had a blast!  It’s a beautiful ship with a wonderful staff.

😍Oh thank you so much Miss G!!  I'm so glad you are along for the "sail."  I'm sure it will bring back all the lovely memories of your cruise last October.

• Like 1

It was lucky for us that we were the first cruise of the season because we were able to get into our cabin as soon as we boarded the ship.

After a fast shower and a quick lunch and we headed out to spend our first afternoon walking all around Amsterdam.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1RlMH3XY5DlLxdALc5rPjU6VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1679562713

🌷At the floating Bloemenmarkt.. alas these would be the only tulips we would see this week.

But as I said in my first post it didn't detract at all from our fantastic cruise.🌷

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1T_FA3H3CaElIa8GIpWp2gZqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1679562759

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QlTUAxI4c7_a-FqhpkVfO1aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1679562756

• Like 1